cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One security flaw??

FIXED
Deezla

Hub One security flaw??

I changed the wireless password on our router 3 days ago. This evening I remembered I'd forgotten to tell my wife about the change of password and assumed her iphone would only be on 4G when at home at the moment but strangely her iphone was still connected (with internet connectivity) with the old password. It was only when I disconnected and tried to reconnect with the old password that it said "incorrect password".

Surely that's a security flaw? Why would it still connect with the old password until it's manually disconnected?

The reason I changed the password in the first place was because an unknown laptop appeared on our network. If what happened with my wifes iphone is anything to go by it would appear that changing the password doesn't give you the protection you would think?

2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Hub One security flaw??

Fix

when you connect to the router wirelessly it asks for the password but while connected it doesn't ask again which is absolutely normal

if you need to change the password for any reason the usual follow up is to either disable wireless and then enable again or go into connected devices and remove them so that they need to re-establish the connection

Deezla

Re: Hub One security flaw??

Thanks for that. Good to know. So even though the iphone had left the house and come back and automatically reconnected it still works with the old password? It may well be absolutely normal but I'd say 'absolutely normal' seems a bit of a grey area in security terms.