cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One randomly dropping internet connection

Malvern09

Hub One randomly dropping internet connection

We 'upgraded' from ADSL to VDSL a couple of months ago. As part of the upgrade Plusnet sent us a Hub One router. We have two PCs and a BT YouView box, all on ethernet. Ever since the Hub One arrived, we've been plagued by dropouts, with one or other PC losing internet, while the other keeps working. The other scenario is that if both PCs are switched off before the TV box is turned on (i.e. there is nothing active on the line), the TV box can't connect. The problem can only be cured by rebooting the router. We have been complaining to Plusnet constantly, keeping a full log of our reboots. Looking at the pattern of these dropouts, the logical conclusion (I am a sound engineer, so reasonably technical) is that there is a fault with the router, but Plusnet adamantly refuse to countenance such a possiblity. They have twice sent Open Reach engineers out. The first found nothing wrong, but replaced the old master socket for good measure. The second engineer (a couple of days ago), ran full line tests, and found absolutely nothing wrong with the line. We've been Plusnet customers for many years, but possibly not for much longer, if they don't start taking our problem seriously. Has anyone else had this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub One randomly dropping internet connection

Is there anything telling in the router's event log when this happens (visible from the 'Troubleshooting' section of the router interface)?
Is there any change to the LED status on the front of the hub when any of these 'drops' occur?
When you say the TV box can't connect, is all Internet connectivity lost, or just certain channels?
When a PC drops connection, are you still able to access the router interface at 192.168.1.254 from that device?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Malvern09

Hi. OK, two drops today. To answer your questions...

There was no change in the LED status - it remained solid blue.

We are still able to access the router interface.

I'm afraid the event log might as well be written in Chinese - I'm just not that technical! I will attach today's log to see if you can make any sense of it.

When our YouView box won't connect, all connectivity is lost.

Malvern09

Just to update this, for anyone having similar problems. We have now had nearly a week of rock-solid connection, with no drops. The solution was simple - we dropped the heap of junk Plusnet called their router, and went out and bought a decent router. So much for their technical helpline consistently telling us it couldn't possibly be their router which was the problem.

Plusnet customer service - 0/10.