cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One connected but can’t reach internet

Lprice873
Hooked

Hub One connected but can’t reach internet

Hi all, I’m new to Plusnet. I have the Hub one on a FTTC line. Currently I’ve had to restart the router nearly every day as it claims to be connected to the internet but every device connected is unable to access the internet. This occurs mostly in the morning, but it could vary as I’m not always around to check. I’ve checked both WAN and LAN, tried disabling 5G Wireless and even resorted to resetting the router. However the problem does not go away. I’ve not had this issue with previous routers and there are no new devices on the network compared to my old suppliers router, I looked at the event log and all devices are connecting ok on the wireless but there are a large number of blocks (Ie “OUT: BLOCK [9] Packet invalid in connection (tcp reset attack is suspected: TCP [cut short for ip address and ports]”. The blocked address appears to relate to my Google Home mini. Has anyone else experienced this or can offer suggestions as to solutions?
19 REPLIES 19
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Hub One connected but can’t reach internet

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Fibre 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I'm wondering if there might be an issue with your router. Could you try a factory reset as your next step please? https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/ - Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Lprice873
Hooked

Hi, the router was factory reset yesterday and the issue still arose this morning. 

My other, minor, concern is that I’m in the line training period and my connection was slowly increasing (up to 71m yesterday, prior to reset) and now it’s dropped off to 57m 

Lprice873
Hooked

And again this morning. This time the Google Mini has not been unplugged so its not the cause.

The only other thing I can think of is that my work computer which connects through a VPN client is causing a problem in the router, as today I'm able to continue working whilst no other device in the house can connect to the internet (all show a WiFi connection though). Although disconnecting the laptop from WiFi does not restore service to the other devices.

I've even tried disabling the Firewall on the router to see if that makes a difference but it does not

I just seem to have problem after problem with Plusnet's service.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Lprice873 

I can see that subsequent to your most recent post on here, you have spoken to one of our agents on the phone. This ticket states the issue was resolved - can you confirm if that is indeed the case? 

Thanks,

MoR

Lprice873
Hooked

No the issue is not resolved.

The agent wanted me to connect to the master socket and also change the wireless channel. Currently, on the agents advice, I have changed the wireless channel and I am waiting for the devices to be locked out at which point I will connect to the master socket although I don’t believe this will solve the issue as it is not a line fault as confirmed by your own tests and my computer maintained its connection whilst the other devices couldn’t connect to the internet (this morning). 

As as per the discussion with the agent I had also previously changed 5G wireless so it wasn’t synced with 2.4 and also disabled wireless (each channel and completely).

As I was unwilling this morning to connect to the master socket as I need to move some furniture, the case was “solved”. However, when it happens again I’ll connect to the master and see if it reoccurs (which I think it will) in which case it looks like I’ll be on the phone again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No worries.

Feel free to let us know over here if the drops return once you've tried the master socket.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Lprice873
Hooked

I’m beginning to think I’m cursed when it comes to Plusnet. Today’s issue is that that my phone and iPad having left the house were not able to rejoin the WiFi on returning home due to incorrect password, however the password has not changed. I logged into the router to check and whilst looking at the wireless passsord typed it into a device which kept being denied due to incorrect password.

Another reboot. This can not be an issue with the line surely? 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Lprice873 

Wireless passwords do not have any affect on your line, no. 

There shouldn't be a reason your devices loose the password - well, any router reason anyway. 

Did you manage to get these reconnected? 

Thanks,

MoR

Lprice873
Hooked

I had to reboot the router and then the devices connected without a problem. The devices hadn’t forgotten the log in, the router wouldn’t authenticate them. 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, thanks for getting back to us. It sounds like this is resolved now but do let us know if it proves to be an issue again for you. - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Lprice873
Hooked

Here's my problem, whilst each time I "fix" the issue, rebooting the router nearly every day is not a great solution.

For information, once again the WiFi devices are unable to access the internet, despite connecting to the router and the router being connected to the internet. The router is definitely connected as I am writing this on a device connected through the Hub One.

mattwainwright
Dabbler

Hey,

I've had the similar issues lately (router saying everything is fine, but no internet) and the issues for me at least are with PlusNets DNS servers. I wanted to let you know what I've done as a work around, because a reboot temporarily gets things working for me too, but it doesn't resolve things.

If I change my DNS server entry on my phone to Googles 8.8.8.8 the internet starts working again. So basically the website names don't resolve to the IP address properly. Your DNS server at present is probably your routers IP, just make sure you make a note of this before removing it or add a secondary DNS server if you can of 8.8.8.8.

I'd recommend giving this a try and see if it resolves your issues too. If it does, it shows there is a DNS issue for you too.

Matt.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Apple devices reporting incorrect password when trying to connect to the WiFi is usually just a generic message, and not always indicative of the wrong password being typed in. Can you try a different channel to the ones you've tried?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet