Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One Buzzing / Fizzing Noise

FIXED
mattsando
Dabbler

Hub One Buzzing / Fizzing Noise

Bit concerned that my Hub One is mak8ng a buzzing and fizzing noise when transferring traffic to my devices. If the room  is quiet, and I load, say, a YouTube video, the router emits a buzzing/fizzing noise as the video is loading. Obviously, it’s not just on YouTube videos - it’s on any transfer of network traffic. Anyone else got this?

7 REPLIES 7
Flamazine27
Hooked

Re: Hub One Buzzing / Fizzing Noise

I have had experienced this on two routers. It mainly does this on the 5 ghz network. I turned it off and everything was ok.in the end I bought my self a tp link router .no problems whatsoever.

mattsando
Dabbler

>have had experienced this on two routers. It mainly does this on the 5 ghz network. I turned it off and everything was ok.in the end I bought my self a tp link router .no problems whatsoever.

When you say that you turned it off, do you mean that you turned the router off and on? Or, do you mean that you turned off 5ghz broadcast?

My router is only a few months old - I shouldn’t have to buy a new TP Link one to stop the noise, surely?
Flamazine27
Hooked

Yes I turned the 5 ghz network off. If you call plusnet they should send you a replacement router under warranty.its a known issue

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi there.

Sorry to hear you're hearing noise from your router.

After previous discussions our products team have had with the vendor regarding this, we've been advised that the reported noise is within accepted tolerances and not indicative of any performance problems.

With this in mind, I'm afraid we can't RMA the router as there's a good chance that a replacement will be the same. If the noise is distracting I'm sorry to say that you'd either need to switch off the 5GHz frequency or buy your own 3rd party router.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mattsando
Dabbler

Thanks for letting me know.

I know it’s nothing to do with you, and that the manufacturer says that it’s within tolerance so I’ll leave it as it is.

Googling around it seems either that it could be when using lower channels. Some people report using a channnel above 157 or so helps stop the noise so I’ll try that before deciding whether to buy a new router.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem and sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Let us know if a higher channel helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@mattsando

If you go onto Ebay there's several BT Smarthub 6s for sale by auction currently for very little money. These look better than the Hub One, have better WiFi and I have never come across complaints regarding noise. Setting up instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'