cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 1 Cable Damage

ruralpeace

Hub 1 Cable Damage

Am upgrading to Fibre, Hub One gear arrived today.
1) E cable damaged a nasty cut through the outer into the inners. 
Asked PlusNet ( via Chat) and was told they would have to resend the whole gear.
Seems crazy for £2 cable....
2) Is it possible to hide the SSID or not....saw some comments its not possible.
Thanks for any help. First time using such a Forum.
9 REPLIES 9
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Hub 1 Cable Damage

Quote from: ruralpeace
Is it possible to hide the SSID or not

Doesn't seem a way to do this I'm afraid. Similar questions are asked about the BT Homehub 5 (the Hub One is a re-badged HH5) It can be changed but not hidden.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

2) Is it possible to hide the SSID or not....saw some comments its not possible.

hiding it offers 0 security anyway, so it's kinda pointless.
it's like taking the number off your front door, it's still there and visible to those wanting to look at it.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: chenks76
hiding it offers 0 security anyway, so it's kinda pointless.

I agree - someone with a scanner will find it and because there is no name will be more inclined to investigate.
I have read the suggestion that you should change the default name as this would indicate you were more technicallyt savvy and so have made sure its as secure as possible
I say scanner - there are several apps for phones that show all surrounding signals - and very useful too.
ruralpeace

Many thanks for the replies..
Yes I appreciate it is still possible to "see"
A guy in our IT department some years ago showed me how it was done but he also said it was still a good idea to hide the SSID.

Was thinking to use the HUB One to set up and see how it works.....and then maybe get a branded router eg  TP Link Archer - any comments ?
I really don't like rebranded stuff.
On other thing, our house is built like a bunker - very solid internal walls - reinforced concrete with blockwork....crazy.
WiFi does not get too far so use powerline extenders (use Devolo and TP Link...yeah I know but it works fine)..
Again thanks to all for the comments
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Many thanks for the replies..
Yes I appreciate it is still possible to "see"
A guy in our IT department some years ago showed me how it was done but he also said it was still a good idea to hide the SSID.

your guy in the IT dept was either not very knowledgeable or just saying stuff to get you to go away.
it is neither a good idea nor a bad idea.
it offer no extra protection, and it offers no benefit either.
as i said, hiding the SSID is the same as removing the number from the door of your house. your house is still there and it's still visible.
there are many reasons to not use the Hub One, but the lack of ability to hide the SSID is not one of them.
ruralpeace

So can you expand on why not to use Hub One....apart from my dislike of unknown rebranded gear. ?
Maybe you are right as we shut that (outsourced) department down a few months later...and hired in staff who did not spend time downloading music.
Well it was over 15 years ago...WiFi was not quite what it is today.
High speed ISDN was the buzz  Grin
Anyway our nearest neighbour is about 1500 metres away I am not too concerned about SSID to be honest.
Thanks for your help
mav:quote
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

What do you want to use broadband for - as for everyday browsing - watching on demand TV the Hub 1 will be just fine.
The Hub is not an unknown rebranded router it is made by Sagemcom especially for BT, they must have a high volume so a good contract to get.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I use a HH5A (same hardware as Hub One) and find it a perfectly decent router. Good wi-fi coverage and never drops the connection.
ruralpeace

Ok sounds like its fine and saves me £90 or so.
Thanks for the advice
Most use is streaming movies/tv and the current speed ( with or without dropouts ) is barely enough to use Netflix/Amazon.
Today our speed is around 1.9Mbps.....not sure why but Open Reach vans are around and there appears to be a correlation with slow speed. drop out loss of service when 2 or more OR vans are parked up by the exchange....
PlusNet are promising 38 to 40Mbps with Fibre.
Rebranded/ OEM or whatever for me is exactly that made by X carries Y name on it and is usually not available elsewhere ie made for company Y