Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to trigger minimum speed guarantee exit clause

markroxxy123
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

How to trigger minimum speed guarantee exit clause

Hello,

How do you trigger the exit clause that allows you to leave your contract early without penalty?

The BT Wholesale speed checker indicates the maximum speed available on my line is 20.63mbps. Using this speed checker the maximum speeds recorded are around 18-19mbps, though it does frequently drop below this and average is around 15mbps.

My estimated speed is 27-39mbps with a guarantee of 22.7mbps. Plusnet indicate my current download speed is 20.5mbps which aligns with the speed checker.

I have raised two faults without any conclusive evidence of a fault, so presume it is simply that my line does not support the higher speeds estimated/guaranteed.

The BT Broadband availability checker suggests speeds of 30-43mbps for my line - is it normal for a line that does not have a fault identified to achieve speeds of around half those which the availability checker estimates.

My download speeds since moving from ADSL to VDSL/FTTC remain unchanged, though the upload speed is now a lot quicker. The checker shows that maximum observed speed for FTTC/VDSL was 19.99mbps and for ADSL was 18.92mbps.

Is it possible that the estimated speeds are based on false data provided by BT Wholesale/Openreach? (not intentionally, but a misunderstanding of the line length to the cabinet?)

Regards

Mark

4 REPLIES 4
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: How to trigger minimum speed guarantee exit clause

Its possible thebspeed estimates are a little optimistic, especially on longer lines like this.

I would consider whether your throughput profile has been changed correctly at pnet. A maximum observed speed of 19.99 is maybe a too tidy and the speeds you're showing would be near perfect for a top speed ADSL service-assuming the variations in speed measured to your own device are throughput issues your end (wifi, usage etc).

In any case, checking all these would be going down the faults route-pnets faults team should check the profile anyway (though a nudge to that direction never hurts). Same applies with the right to leave. When you raise a speed fault, the clock starts and aside from if that is paused under certain circumstances, like if they want to send an engineer but you can't do it for two weeks then they have 30 days to sort it. If they don't, you automatically get right to leave triggered on your service-though bear in mind it likely wouldn't be any better with anyone else unless you come off the openreach line completely.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@markroxxy123  when you changed to VDSL or as part of one of the faults has a filtered master socket been fitted?

If not, it would be worth logging into the router, taking note of the sync and max attainable speeds, then repeating the exercise after removing the faceplate on the master socket and using the hidden test socket.

If you have neither PN should send an engineer who will fit the filtered socket..

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
markroxxy123
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks for all the replies. Plusnet are re-investigating for the third time. It seems i should be getting a faster maximum download speed of 20mbps. (given the estimates speeds of 27-39mbps and minimum guarantee of 22.7mbps).

FYI for previous response - sync speeds via master socket and test socket reveal no difference.  i have to use a filter for both methods as the socker only has one input and the 'dangly thing' has always been used on my line.

Kind regards

Mark