cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to maximise upload speed

kitkats

How to maximise upload speed

Hi
I'm on Unlimited Fibre with 'up to 38Mb download speeds up to 19.5Mb upload speeds' - I'm currently getting between 15-20Mb down and about 15Mb up.
I'd like to improve the download speeds as well but maximising the upload is what's important to me.  I've heard about the Pro Add-on and the Max Premium - would they help me achieve the max 19.5Mb upload speed?
Thanks,
Steve
6 REPLIES 6
slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: How to maximise upload speed

Hi, if you use this link it will tell you more about it http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/pro-Add-On-faq.shtml if you wait for a few seconds a chat window should open so you can ask them directly...may be quicker than the forums!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Neither of them will help you increase the upload speed
You are stuck with what you have
Regarding download speed you should be getting much better than that - what does this say https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and are you testing wired or wireless
Randall8686
Grafter

are you using wireless wired ? decent PC spec ? Gigabit lan ? lots of things effect this however your down seems very slow
kitkats

The speeds have jumped up to 73 Mbps down and 17 Mbps up now - a bit more in keeping with the line speed of 77Mb.  I tried both wifi and Ethernet (Mac Pro 2009 w. b/g/n Airport Extreme) and the results were almost identical.  Guess there was just heavier contention or something this afternoon.
Thanks for the advice OldJim, good to know I'm already doing everything I can to max things, but one more question -
I work from home and often have to send quite large amounts of data (1 - 10GB) to a client in the afternoon.  The Pro Add-On claims to offer greater priority, so is it something I would see a benefit from in terms of reliability and contention? Or is it something that only really applies to those not on FTTC? I don't know how contended my local exchange (EASHE) is but I would guess it sees heavier traffic in the evenings.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are on an Unlimited account the Pro add-on will do nothing for you as it only changes the relative prioritisation of your traffic when you are already maxing out your line.
In any case it affects downloads only!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kitkats

OK, great. Thanks for all the replies.  This seems like a well attended and helpful forum - nice one Plus.net + it's community!