cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a replacement Openreach socket faceplate?

Gwyd
Hooked

How to get a replacement Openreach socket faceplate?

Hello all,

I moved house and brought my plusnet service with me. Sadly, the FTTC socket already in the house wasn't working, and after some support from plusnet, I'm now connected through an additional filter to the master socket.

I would like to get the socket working, as I have a rather powerful router I'd like to use that would have connected through the socket, but now can't use - defaulting back to the plusnet supplied router.

How would I go about getting a replacement faceplate? Would this be through plusnet, or is it something I'd have to contact openreach for?

Many thanks for all your help in advance,

Gwydion

10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: How to get a replacement Openreach socket faceplate?

Hi there,

Yes, we can arrange this. Just so you know there would likely be a charge of £65.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gwyd
Hooked

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Blimey - shouldn't a new house move come with working socket? Seems a bit harsh to have to pay for it if it never worked.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, it is unclear why you can't use your own router if you successfully got the Plusnet router working.  

If your preferred router has a built-in VDSL modem, can't you just unplug the phone/broadband cable from the back of the Plusnet router and insert it into your router?

If you think you just need a replacement Openreach VDSL face plate, you can buy them from eBay. Search for 'Openreach MK3' to see if it is what you require.  Cost less than 9 quid.  

(There is also a newer style MK4 face plate if the existing master socket was installed in the last 12 months.  MK3 and MK4 are not interchangeable)

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I'm thinking the same as bill888 - what's so special about this "rather powerful" router?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Gwyd wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Blimey - shouldn't a new house move come with working socket? Seems a bit harsh to have to pay for it if it never worked.

Not always. If we arrange a new line installation and an engineer visits your property they may install a new socket but that's not guaranteed as they'd just do that for quality purposes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When I moved into my property and we got the line connected, they changed the front of the socket.
This was just a standard master socket (so not ADSL) and charged us £40 at the time (2011).

We knew the people who lived there before, so didn't notice any problem with the old one, as we used to speak to them on their landline.

No idea of the reason why, whether it was legit, or to make money on a new one. Oh well.

Gwyd
Hooked

Thanks Bill,

no, my router doesn't have a built in modem: it's an Asus RTAC68U with OpenWRT on it in case you were wondering. I just don't fancy tacking on a modem in front of it if I can avoid it.

Brilliant knowledge on the faceplates - I'll have a look and order one myself. It's definitely over a year old - so Mk3 it is.

Many thanks.

edit: Just had a thought - do I need a fibre modem anyway? I am very likely an idiot Wink

brookheather
Rising Star

You can't plug an RT-AC68U router into the phone line - it is just a router and doesn't have a modem - you still need a modem to get internet.  You can change the Plusnet router for a VDSL modem (e.g. Vigor 130) or change the RT-AC68U router for a new modem/router with a VDSL modem included.

You could use your router as a wireless access point and disable wifi on the Plusnet router - just change the Asus router to Access Point mode.

BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro
bledd

Yup

You'll either need a Draytek Vigor 130 or an Openreach HG612 from ebay.  Your router has no modem in it.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, as said, I think basically you need to get a separate modem if you wish to carry on using your existing router, or get another which has a modem built in.

Depends on whether having two devices will bother you (putting them somewhere, enough plug sockets etc.) you like your current router and can live with it, or if you would prefer to have one device then you would have to get something else with a modem built in.