Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find my FTTC Line-speed please?

FIXED
OCdragon2
Grafter
Fixes: 1

How to find my FTTC Line-speed please?

I have Plusnet FTTC for two years now with ECI Modem and seperate Router, with typical throughputs of 52Mbits download, 12Mbits upload and 30ms Latency. However I recently discovered that my download throughput has dropped to around 43Mbits while my upload and Latency staying similar to before. Is there any way in the Plusnet's Member site I can find my download "Line-speed" at all so that I can relate to this suddenly dropping in my dowldoad speed?? I was trying to find that in my member's site without too much success!

14 REPLIES 14
adagio
Grafter

Re: How to find my FTTC Line-speed please?

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I think that's only an historical value, dating from whenever the line was last tested.

If you do the BTW performance test and click on "Further Diagnostics" on the results page, it will compare your actual throughput with your IP profile, which should correspond (or nearly so) to your expected line speed. It will also deposit a record of your results on a server where PlusNet people can look it up, if it turns out to be a fault.

The only place to get your actual sync speed is from inside your router modem. PN people can see it from their end but they will only look if you raise a fault report.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not quite right - that is, or is supposed to be, a mirror of the IP profile to limit the effective speed

However it isn't apparently used on the new network so the direct link to the BT Speedtest is more certain to be accurate

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Although the link provided by adagio will provide the profile shown on the account, that shouldn't be capping your speed at all as you're on the new network with a dynamic IP.

It would probably be best to go off of the wholesale profile to get a rough idea of the sync speed (It's currently 45.2Mbps) here: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Oldjim I don't think it even does that any more - I'm on the old network (gateway pcl-bng02) and mine has been saying 37 for the last few weeks but my IP profile is currently 38.67 (I'm on the 40/2 package) according to the BTW test.

@OCdragon2

Well I said PlusNet could tell you Smiley

If 45.2 is below the minimum expectation for your telephone number according to http://dslchecker.bt.com/ then you can reasonably report a fault. But if it's within the acceptable range, BT will probably just shrug their shoulders.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@bobminors as I said - or is supposed to - the number of times it hasn't updated because of a missed delta report is a major gripe on here

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As mentioned, the profile shown there is irrelevant on the new network and the link isn't viewable unless you have a specific link to it.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
OCdragon2
Grafter

Thank you for providing the "Current Line-speed" link of Plusnet, which requires to sign-in to the member's area. According to the link that you provided, my "current line-speed" is around 45.2Mbs download, INSTEAD of my previous 52Mbs downstream throughput. Even the BT's Line-Test Performance was saying that my current Downstream IP Profile is around 43.77Mbs INSTEAD of my previous 53Mbs+ downstream IP Profile. So in theory I have suddenly had a Downstream IP Profile LOSS of around 9Mbs approx. in speed. Is this due to Plusnel switched me to their new network, extra noises on my line (impacted), or my Router may requires a reset etc??? Apart from that my overall FTTC connections are O.K.

Should I raise this "Line-Speed" issue to Plusnet??? 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

The speed drop won't be due to anything we've done.

I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can get that looked into.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
OCdragon2
Grafter

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team

I have raised a TICKET according to your "Link" provided and answered ALL the related Questions as well! Hopefully my DL Speed-drops could be resolved by your team.

Thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

That's gone through to the right team and we'll get that picked up as soon as we can.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
OCdragon2
Grafter

Matthew,

Upto this Sunday (30-10-2016) I still have not received ANY correspondence from your Customer Service/Technical Team regarding to my Downstream-Speed issue as described in this post! Could you find out why for me or alternatively give me it it still job in progress by your team???

Thanks

OCdragon2
Grafter

Matthew,

I believed that one of your CS/Team people did call me this Sunday(30-10-2016) around 4PM, but I mistook that was a "cold-call" and replaced my phone! I am sorry and could you arrange your CS/Technical team to rind me again please???

Much thanks

OCdragon2
Grafter

Fix

I have received your CS/Technical Team e-mail today suggesting what I should check my connection first!

After rebooting my BT's ECI Modem (Not my Router) by power-recycling, which meant being connected to a new Gateway now, my DL's throughput LOW speed issue has been resolved! At present I'm getting DL's throughput of > 56Mbps, UL's throughput of >12Mbps, and Latency <20ms when tested it several times with your suggested BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Tests at these times. So I have closed my "Question" in the relative link and thank you for helping!!