cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check for network outage or fault in area?

afameen
Dabbler

How to check for network outage or fault in area?

Ive recently had an engineer come home to check out my line as we were getting below the guaranteed speed. He fixed it and my speed went from 30mbps to 56mbps which is the max. My ping also dropped from 25ms to 5ms which is perfect for my gaming career. my speed has now dropped to 45mbps and ping to nearest server is 15ms. And yes i am using a lan cable and bt wholesale test.

I'm assuming there's just a fault in the area so how do i check this?

31 REPLIES 31
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: How to check for network outage or fault in area?

@afameen Welcome to the forums. The fault could be just on your connection/in your home environment.

No doubt Plusnet Help Team staff will be along to check this for you at some point, but screenshotted results from BT Broadband (hiding your phone number), the 'Additional Diagnostics' from BTW Performance Tester , and your Hubs Help Desk page (hiding personal details) may give other Community members a chance to assist.

John
afameen
Dabbler

jab1
Legend

@afameen Thanks for those.

Your Help Desk picture indicates you have only had an uptime of about 3.1/2 hours, which points to a DSL drop - sorry to ask for more info, but could you post the WAN tab from the event log to confirm this?

The BTW shot confirms that you have achieved a 59.12 Mbps speed a couple of days back - close to the expected maximum.

It would be interesting to see the 'Advanced Diagnostics' from the speed test - gives a little more information, but can be a bit hit and miss as to whether it will work. Worth a try, though.

John
afameen
Dabbler

Yeah a few days ago it was at 56 and stable. no idea what happened now. Thanks for your help btw

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jab1
Legend

The Advanced Diagnostics confirm your current speeds are correct - for the IP profile but the WAN log confirms you are getting PPP drops, which usually indicate a problem with the BT/OR network, those drops resulting in a speed drop as the DLM tries to stabilise the line.

This topic has now been moved to the correct board, so hopefully the PN Help Team will pick it up in the near future. I'm sorry to say there is nothing more I can usefully say or do at the moment, but I'll keep my eyes on it and see what happens.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@afameen  @jab1  First impressions suggest the line is banded at 49Mbps, why that has happened is hard to say, I blame DLM.

The following is my stock answer for those who want to move out of the dark ages of FTTC which was always a clever bodge to get faster broadband down ancient copper wires which works surprisingly well but can be temperamental.

The best thing to do is forget FTTC and order a full fibre direct to your house FTTP service which is available to you, the magic words "WBC FTTP" are present in the BT Wholesale checker. Speeds up to 1000Mbps, you don't have to go for the highest speeds, 80/20 products are available for a similar price to FTTC.😀

The slight problem is that at the moment Plusnet do not offer FTTP although they are threatening to do so quite soon, was supposed to this last summer, then autumn now maybe early next year, so slipping a bit. Plusnet will let you leave with no penalty if you move to BT or EE FTTP broadband. There is also a possible problem with your premises, ... Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG congested duct, but I'm sure that could be sorted out, if you do go for an FTTP installation.‌😀

jab1
Legend

@RealAleMadrid , Yep the OP does have the FTTP option should they want it, and yes it would stop these issues. However, while they are on an FTTC connection, which I agree has been nobbled by DLM, it would be an idea to discover why it has been - or do you not agree?

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@jab1 If I had FTTP available I would just go for it. FTTC wouldn't be worth messing about with trying to find out what's gone wrong.🙄

jab1
Legend

OK.

John
afameen
Dabbler

That's disappointing to hear. DLM makes no sense. My connection was fine and all was well. Speed isn't a huge issue for me, its mostly ping as I am a gamer and do competitive gaming. I didn't know I could switch to BT without a penalty. I've been wanting to switch to FTTP but thought I was stuck in this contract. I'm really tired of these copper cables. I see BT has a deal for 150/20 for 10 quid more than what im paying with plusnet.

How do I switch to BT?

many thanks!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@afameen 

PlusNet FTTP is coming - it's just not known when. Even if they know, support staff will not be allowed to say anything until the official announcement. Last unofficial word was by the end of January.

The prices on offer are also an unknown, but the HubTwo (basically a BT SmartHub2) will be the modem / router.

To move I would first give the PlusNet Options team a phone to confirm they will waive cancellation fees if you move to BT and if you need to let them know afterwards. Once you have confirmation then go to the BT website and signup. Tehy will do the necessary to get you up and running.

With FTTP, your "ping" times should be much better.

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@afameen  I am not absolutely sure but I have read on the forum you can do it through Plusnet by talking to the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 or they will know what you need to do and you will pay no early leaving contract penalty.

afameen
Dabbler

@bmc @RealAleMadrid cool, i will give them a call in the next few days and see what they have to say