cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How's the Plusnet router functionality?

gkf9
Grafter

How's the Plusnet router functionality?

Well just signed up to PN, coming from Sky 2.5 MB, hoping to get around the 33MB mark on fibre.
Install is in 2 weeks. Don't know whether to buy a decent router ready for when it's up and running?
Is the PN router that bad? Will need to do some port forwarding, but read it's not the best at this?
31 REPLIES 31
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: How's the Plusnet router functionality?

If port forwarding is something you really need to do then the plusnet router isn't going to help you it has the options but they never work , the only thing that does is DMZ, also the wi-fi is pretty poor unless your in the same room.
gkf9
Grafter

Ok thanks, yeah I do rely on port forwarding and a decent wifi signal, think I'll get a router ready.
Any idea how quick I can swap routers over after installation?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Whenever you like - You don't even have to plug the PN router in if you don't want to...  Wink
gkf9
Grafter

Ok thanks, thought I had to wait for the line to settle, going to get an all in one router.
Will swap it over as soon as the BT engineer as gone.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I have the Plusnet router (TG582n) and whilst it is not a high end router, I find it perfectly ok. Don't get me wrong, it all depends on what you need out of a router, but having used it for several years, here are my thoughts...
1) I have not had any issues with port forwarding. Works fine and was easy to set up.
2) It has remained connected for months on end without a reboot or reset.
3) Wireless signal is acceptable but it is probably the biggest weakness of the router.
4) Range of functions and configurability is good.
So it all depends on what you need from a router. I see a lot of people saying this router is useless. It does the job, and I think reliably at that (assuming you don't have a faulty one).
If maintaining top speeds and large area coverage with wireless are a top priority, then you can do better. Be careful though, there are a lot of more expensive routers out there that have pretty poor wifi coverage as well. As always, lots of research required to find the best router.
gkf9
Grafter

Nice write up thanks.
Maybe I should see how it performs 1st then before spending any money.
Was going to buy the TP-LINK TD-W9980 Wireless Router- N600, Dual Band, seems to get good reviews.
As long as I can get the port forwarding working and get wifi upstairs I'll be happy.
Think going from 2.5 MB to 33mb ish ( I hope )  I'll be happy anyway.
Can't wait to get fibre.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I figure that worst case scenario you hate it - you can get a different one. On the other hand it might work ok for you, in which case you have saved some money.
I considered the W9980 and it gets reasonable reviews, cost is reasonable, although it doesn't have as many line stats as some others (if that is important to you).
I got fibre in January, going from ADSL1 (7 Mbps down, 0.33 Mbps up), to about 36 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up. I was all for the one box solution but I have kind of done a 180 on that. There are a lot of changes happening with G.Inp and vectoring. Don't get me wrong, I am sure a lot of the new modem/routers will either already be ready for it, or can be ready with a firmware upgrade, but I just thought I would stick with the Openreach modem for now (I got an ECI one, but I am changing to a Huwaei one [10 quid] because of G.Inp related latency issues, plus I want line stats).
I also like the separate modem because I can reset the router as much as I like without it affecting DLM.
You might want to do the research on new routers now so that in the event you hate the Technicolor, you have another one in mind.
gkf9
Grafter

More confused than ever now lol, not sure what vectoring is etc, will have to have a read.
I'm taking it that I will get the new Sagom router? Not sure how well that performs? Am I best getting a better router and better modem, or an all in one?
Just want the best speed and best wifi coverage possible without to many resets of the router etc.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@gkf9
I would get the Plusnet supplied router and run with it for a month or so at least. It is handy to have their router available when/if you have issues and it will also set a benchmark against which you can compare your next router. Get up FTTC link up and running successfully before joining the ranks of the "let's see how far we can push this line".
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I've been using the tp-link for several months now, no real issues, I port forward, use dual band wifi all over the house.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The TP link will give you increased latency and reduced sync speed once G.INP is enabled on your cabinet. See http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.0.html - end of reply #2.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

And EXACTLY how much?
Given they know it is coming I can only assume they will issue a new firmware to assist it.
IF you are gaming online then maybe you need the latency but not an issue for me.
My current stats:
DSL
Line Status: Connected
DSL Modulation Type: VDSL2
Annex Type: Annex A/B/L/M
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 19999 57879
Max Rate (Kbps) 19854 61295
SNR Margin (dB) 2.9 3
Line Attenuation (dB) 13 13.6
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
BBM monitor

I see it also affects the BT Homehub 5 Type A.
gkf9
Grafter

Quote from: georgelnx
@gkf9
I would get the Plusnet supplied router and run with it for a month or so at least. It is handy to have their router available when/if you have issues and it will also set a benchmark against which you can compare your next router. Get up FTTC link up and running successfully before joining the ranks of the "let's see how far we can push this line".

This is a good idea.
gkf9
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
The TP link will give you increased latency and reduced sync speed once G.INP is enabled on your cabinet. See http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.0.html - end of reply #2.

Sorry can't access the link, what's all this mean about latency etc?