cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How reliable is the BT dslchecker ??

Fuzzy03
Hooked

How reliable is the BT dslchecker ??

I migrated to FTTC with PN a few weeks ago after checking the dslchecker figures for my line which at first quoted 4.6-8.5 download (clean), and 2.1-6.5 download ( impacted). I live in a village about 2.5km from the cabinet which serves me, measured with my wife's pedometer ! Since migrating the dslchecker figures have changed at least 3 times, sometimes up and sometimes down, leading me to believe that BT themselves don't know what to expect. Is it any wonder that Ofcom (I understand) are talking about changing the 'rules' on speed claims, although they refer to a voluntary code of conduct which does not bode well, I feel.

My current speeds checked today on BT wholesale site are 2.93 down and 1.12 up. I barely get into the low end of the current impacted range. I have never got close to the so-called clean rate, even the low end. I wonder if anyone anywhere has a slower fibre speed than me. I have had numerous contacts with PN about this issue but with no progress whatsoever. Presently I am resigned to this situation unless/until a cabinet comes to the village or the technology improves.

I could accept this a little better if it were not for the misleading information on which I based my decision to migrate, quoted on dslchecker and repeated by PN.

I welcome any comments from people who have had similar, worse, or better experiences when living some distance from their cabinet.

7 REPLIES 7
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: How reliable is the BT dslchecker ??

Hey Fuzzy03,

The estimates on the DSL checker are made off the mean sync rate of other users in your cabinet.

In honesty I feel like this is probably the most accurate way they can do it (while also being cost effective). Are your speed tests based off a wired or wireless connection?

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
mikeh
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I understood that 2.5kms is at the limit of fibre reach. A friend who is about the same distance from his cab has a checker figure of an impacted min 6mb which I thought was unlikely. The checker figures are just estimates, not based on actual tests. The address checker numbers differs from the telephone one.

I live 1.8kms from the cab and my minimum is 6mb, Plusnet quote the the minimum non-impacted speed of 13mb not the impacted one. I will find out next month.

What were your ASDL speeds like?

Fuzzy03
Hooked

Thanks for your reply MattyC.

I am connected via Ethernet and although I now use an extension socket I have tested using the master socket with no difference. My fibre speeds are pretty much the same as the ADSL speeds I used to get.

Fuzzy03
Hooked

Thanks for your interest Mike, and you make a couple of interesting observations concerning distance from cabinet.

My ADSL speeds were very similar to my new fibre speeds, so I have gained nothing at a cost of £2.50 more per month for the privilege.

mikeh
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

On further checking there are some graphs showing just below 10mbs possible so as always your line quality is a factor as well as length.

Fuzzy03
Hooked

Yes, I've seen those graphs too. They just torment me, like the dslchecker figures. I agree that they indicate around 10-12mbps for my distance from cabinet (I wish). It would seem that the lesson to be learned here is that if you live beyond (say) 2km from your cabinet think twice before migrating to cable.

Thanks for you input.

Fuzzy03
Hooked

Sorry, I meant fibre (not cable).