cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many connection drops would be classed as normal/ok?

Malcky
Grafter

How many connection drops would be classed as normal/ok?

Just wondering how long peoples connections last before they are dropped? and then how many drops are needed before you class something as wrong that needs reporting? 1 a week/month/quarter etc

The longest I have gone without a connection drop is 129 days (March to July this year) and then previous was 93 days (June - Sept last year), so it looks like I have had 23 connection drops in 2 years.....some of these will be my own fault due to moving furniture and unplugging the router, changing router stats that dropped a connection (unfortunately I've not kept a record of "my fault drops").

I have an openreach modem that NEVER gets moved and has only ever been unplugged once in two years.....I thought it was that modem that kept the internet connection open, however it seems whenever my Apple router is rebooted from either software updates or me making settings changes causing a reboot will trigger a new IP....meaning the connection was dropped.

Just to be clear....Im not reporting a fault or anything, I am just curious as to what people think is classed as an acceptable number of drops.....that are not your own fault before doing anything about it?

5 REPLIES 5
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: How many connection drops would be classed as normal/ok?

The only time my connection drops is when I apply a new beta firmware to my Asus DSL-AC88U, it's on 22 days just now so due another firmware build Cool
My Plusnet Hub One could easily do the same.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Malcky wrote:
The longest I have gone without a connection drop is 129 days (March to July this year) and then previous was 93 days (June - Sept last year), so it looks like I have had 23 connection drops in 2 years.....some of these will be my own fault due to moving furniture and unplugging the router, changing router stats that dropped a connection (unfortunately I've not kept a record of "my fault drops").

That's a pretty stable connection. Whilst I struggle to hit about 30 days with my own connection, here's a visual radius graph of my grandad's mega stable connection. Grin

@Malcky wrote:

Just wondering how long peoples connections last before they are dropped? and then how many drops are needed before you class something as wrong that needs reporting? 1 a week/month/quarter etc

Just to be clear....Im not reporting a fault or anything, I am just curious as to what people think is classed as an acceptable number of drops.....that are not your own fault before doing anything about it?

An intermittent connection as defined by our suppliers is 10 drops within a 24 hour period. However, we'd usually report a fault when there's less than that on a case by case basis.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Malcky
Grafter

So 10 times in a 24 hour period officially.....thanks for that info.

Some folks have mentioned that having a static IP might improve a customers connection....stability and/or speed wise....is there any truth to that on the plusnet network? or is that just a myth?  lol

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Should be no difference at all to users.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
liane14
Dabbler

Here's me thinking orange light flashing on hub at least once a week is normal!