cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long for new fibre install to get up to speed ?

paulww
Hooked

How long for new fibre install to get up to speed ?

Just had the 76mb fibre installed new line install, and its working ok, but the speed seems to be capped / only hitting 40mbps on any speed tests I've run, (Wired / wireless both tested). 

Only got installed yesterday but the BT guy said I'm only round the corner from the exchange, I read that it automatically negotiates during your first 10 days but it seemed to imply it started at the highest speed and worked its way down. 

Anything I can do to help that along ? 

12 REPLIES 12
iangilf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: How long for new fibre install to get up to speed ?

Post your stats up
paulww
Hooked

Not sure what stats your looking for : The router has this information: 

DSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 1 days, 05:42:14
Downstream: 46.78 Mbps
Upstream: 16.3 Mbps

Not sure if this is the one your looking for

iangilf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yeah it is but can u post up the snr and the line attenuation please
paulww
Hooked

Sorry I'm not sure where I'd find that information, Doesn't seem to be on any of the options inside the router. Is it some other test I run to get it ? 

Thanks

paulww
Hooked

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:15:56
6. Data rate: 16083 / 46771
7. Maximum data rate: 16083 / 54099
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation: 29.6 / 20.6
10. Signal attenuation: 29.5 / 18.8

Found it, just rebooted the router there, 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Your distance from the exchange is irrelevant, the key thing is your distance from your FTTC cabinet. First what speed should you be getting? To check put your phone number in here.and report the result. https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/.

If this is significantly different to what you are getting then the following test should be conducted:

1. Remove the front section of the BT Master Socket. You may need to remove two screws. Pull the front section off and in behind you will find the Test Socket.

2. Plug a wired telephone in and do a quiet line test by dialling 17070 then Option 2. If there is any noise on the line then report a PHONE fault to whoever supplies your phone service, which for all I know might not be Plusnet. Until this is fixed you will never get decent broadband.

3. If the line is quiet then plug a filter into the Test Socket and connect this to your router. With an Ethernet cable connect the router to a computer and carry out a speed test ideally using the official BT speedtester here http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/. Note that this does not work properly with some browsers so use either Internet Explorer or Edge. Carry on to the second stage of these tests at which point the results are logged and can be seen by Plusnet, report the results here.

If the speeds reported are outside of the dsl checker range then report a fault to Plusnet or wait until this thread is picked up by a member of their staff.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

Line tests aren't showing any issues, but your speeds seem to be (just) within estimates/expectations for your line of between 46.5mbps and 66.3mbps. Whilst we'd struggle to get our suppliers to accept this as a fault, I'd try the test socket as @Baldrick1 advised because this should rule out any internal wiring affecting your connection.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
paulww
Hooked

Cheers I don't own a phone so will try get the lend of one for a line test and try out the broadband test to and see what results I get. 

paulww
Hooked

OK so I plugged my router into the socket beside my front door and I'm getting this: 

DSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:01:23
Downstream: 57.17 Mbps
Upstream:

17.61 Mbps

The BT guy put in the master socket behind the TV its the master socket the old one he just put a new face plate on and he plugged the router into the new master socket 5c.  Previously there was just a socket at the front door beside the electric box.

So the Old socket is giving me a better connection, I'm assuming that internal wiring issue on the BT socket that was installed this week ? 

Its only a 4m - 5m run of cable would that be causing the problems ? 

Thanks

Paul. 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @paulww 

Great to see the speed has increased. 

In regards to the internal wiring question, usually you only have one master socket in your premise, unless you/previous occupants have had new line installs from separate providers in the past - and even if you do have multiple NTE/SSFP sockets, generally only one of them would work at a time. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule however.

Are we sure these are both master Socket? I'm not asking this because i don't believe you - i'm just interested.

Thanks 

paulww
Hooked

Not sure I have two master sockets just the one the bt guy fitting when the broadband got installed this week It says master on it and it's the slower of the two.
The other one that's faster does seem to be where the phone line comes into the house so I'm guessing it's the real master. Either way broadband speeds looking a lot better. Bit of a waste by fitting the other socket !
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @paulww,

Thanks for clarifying that. It sounds like the faster socket is the master socket so I'm not quite sure why the engineer went to the effort of fitting a new socket to be honest with you! I'm glad to hear that your speeds are looking better now that you've moved it to the other socket though.

Please let us know if you experience any further issues with your connection or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team