cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long for DLM to increase speeds?

turbotippy
Dabbler

How long for DLM to increase speeds?

Have read alot on this topic and it doesn't seem definitive. I'm happy with the speed I'm getting and the service has been great for me since Plusnet did an amazing job with OR to resolve a line fault, no problem there just interested in other people's experience with DLM.

I'm running a HG612 with an uptime of 21 days. In that time, the DL speed has been 76.6Mb/s with a varying SNR margin of around 6.5dB. UL is maxed at 19,999.

Interleave depth is at 8 and there have been absolutely 'zero' DL error seconds within the uptime. The connection is rock solid with also zero resync's from what I can see with the DSLStats software running on my server.

16 REPLIES 16
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: How long for DLM to increase speeds?

You're already running at maximum speed so DLM will have decided that it's set correctly. So I reckon the answer in you case is never. The trick of DLM is to balance speed and faults by adjusting the SNR. If as in your case you can achieve the maximum speed with minimal faults then a high SNR will give you even better fault protection and is good.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

turbotippy
Dabbler

When the service went live after the fault fix I had sync speeds > 78Mbit, but as you say maybe this speed is the best for stability etc.

Baldrick1

Cor blimey, talk about wanting to suck the last bit out! It could be that you are now connected to a different Plusnet Gateway and that's making the difference.

Moderator and Customer

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

When an engineer came out & did mine I remember the router 're-synched a few times that evening before I hit my max synch again. The process started to happen quite quickly after he requested it through his mobile though.

iangilf
Rising Star

baldrick its not sucking the last bit out its being sensible just cause others dont live close to the green box but when u live on top of the box u expect it to be what it should be my attainable rate was over 100 mbs now im getting 69 meg so the dlm system is [-Censored-] it dont work for everyone no matter what people say so no i dont agree with u and i dont agree with the dlm system its a load of old [-Censored-] when people know there line is capable but dlm messes about with it cause its a [-Censored-] system

iangilf
Rising Star

you should be able to request the dlm be turned off if u r happy with what u get not let some shoddy system bt implement screw up your line and speeds cause it thinks its doing the right thing when its not

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Sadly having DLM Turned off isn't going to happen you just have to get use to how it is, I have never been a big fan of it, it's very quick to Reduce sync / speeds when it feels it needs to but extremely slow in giving them back if at all which is the biggest flaw and the most hated thing customers have against it including myself, and the fact no one can do anything about it including ISPs just makes it worse.

That said very slowly Openreach are giving ISPs more control with Plusnet now in a trial being able to request a DLM reset if the line has been banded, hopefully at some point in the future they also will have the option to reset DLM after a fault has been fixed not all engineers request one.

Baldrick1

Please excuse me for accusing you of wanting to get the last bit out of your connection. My post was based on your first two posts. The first states that you are happy with the speed and the DL is 76.6, your second stated that you were previously getting >78Mbps so I interpreted that your query about DLM meant that you wanted the DLM to reduce your SNR and hence increase your speed. This prompted my response as if my maths are correct the difference equates to about 2%.

Your subsequent third expletive ridden post advises that you are now down to 69Mbps, which I agree is low.

If I understand it correctly, a DLM reset puts the SNR to 6dB, so back where you started in post one.

Moderator and Customer

turbotippy
Dabbler

Hang on, I haven't been making any expletive ridden posts. Slight confusion in contributors maybe here.

I did wonder if a decrease of SNR margin was likely as this would increase the speed, I don't mind being accused of wanting to squeeze the last bit from the connection, I guess I'm paying for it and if I could get the increase then I guess its not that unreasonable to try to understand what is going on and whether it may be possible.

All the best.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there @turbotippy

Unfortunately speeds can go down over time as there are usually numerous causes. There could be cross-talk at the cabinet which is interference from other connections though I'm afraid there's not much we can do about that.

Line tests are showing everything spot on and your sync rate almost at the maximum achievable for the 80/20 product.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
turbotippy
Dabbler

Thanks @Gandalf actually the Hub One seems to sync faster on the Huawei cabinet than the HG612, its just a shame I can't really get any meaningful data from it to determine if there are more errors produced. But I can get line stats and the HG612 is rock solid I'll keep that connected 🙂

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems. Yeah it’s not all about speed, a nice solid connection is just as important. Smiley
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
turbotippy
Dabbler

So after me posting about this, I've been patient, left things alone but have been running DSLStats on a small Linux server I have to monitor things. Every now and again logging in to take a look. Then around 6 days ago this happened 🙂

Clear SNR margin drop, sync speed increase. So its taken a long time for DLM to do it's thing, but it got there in the end.

dsl2.pngdsl3.pngdsl.png

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @turbotippy

Is everything performing well for you now?