Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to get Fibre?

MyWifesHusband
Dabbler

How long does it take to get Fibre?

Hi all,
I realise that this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but it's three weeks (15 working days) to the day since I signed up for Fibre Extra and I've not heard a peep since the initial confirmation email.  Every time I have checked the status for the last 2.5 weeks it has been showing "Final checks / checking your line" which seems like a bit of a nondescript term.
I was on a BT line before with Demon ADSL (still am!)
I've been told be a friend that it will involve an engineer visit to install a new master socket - I don't recall anything in the signup info about that.
How long can I expect to wait?  Is it all going to happen all of a sudden, or will each stage take ages?  Am I basically waiting for a BT engineer to become free to do the site visit / fiddle with the box at the end of the road?
Apologies if I've missed this info, just a bit disappointed with the initial speed of things Sad
10 REPLIES 10
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Re: How long does it take to get Fibre?

Something sounds very wrong here!
I was given the installation date on the same day I placed the order  Huh
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Not necessarily wrong, BT will require 30 days notice of a move, no point in paying for a line twice.
PN no longer send out an engineer for the master socket, but it is worth asking if they will - it could save a lot of possible problems if you have lots of extensions or dodgy wiring in the house.
Hopefully a PN CRT will pick this up and let you have some more detail of your order.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry for the lack of communication here, let me look into this and I'll post back again shortly.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately the initial orders came back as rejected, stating that there was no matching broadband/phone order (there was). This should trigger an email to you explaining there will be a delay, I'm sorry that this didn't happen.
I've replaced the orders, you should have an email with the detail on shortly.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Doglet
Grafter
Fixes: 1

If you have a BT line already nobody will come out to install a master socket.
I paid for a new BT line (was on Virgin) they just hooked up the old line they disconnected on the telegraph pole years ago. Didn't install a new line never mind a new socket!
My order went something like this
Ordered Fibre Extra
2 weeks later BT hooked up the phone
2 weeks later (after much chasing up) they hooked up ADSL
2 weeks later (after much chasing up) they hooked up Fibre (not running full download speed)
I'm still working on getting them to make it download at 76Mbps instead of 20Mbps I think they still have me on an ADSL profile!
Crazy
MyWifesHusband
Dabbler

Many thanks all, and thank you Chris for chasing it up - have now received a changeover date of 10th March.
Bit fed up that it's another 2 weeks, especially as I've just had a bill through for the next month from my current broadband supplier Sad If it goes through as predicted it will have been over 5 weeks, hopefully it will be worth it.
MyWifesHusband
Dabbler

Okay.
Fibre was supposed to go live today (10th).  Got a text about phone line swapping over this am - all good.  Router turned up yesterday.  I was a bit confused to see a microfilter in there as I thought that was only for regular ADSL broadband.  Hoping I got sent the right pack for Fibre...
Anyway, it is now after midnight (11th) and It's not connecting still.  Have a dialtone and my old bb connection stopped working this morning.  Not sure where to go from here...
One question - my router seems to be confusing my BB password with my hub admin password.  They are different aren't they?  It occasionally asks me for my hub p/word and then when I check my broadband password it's been changed to the same...  Confused Sad
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Think of FTTC as a telephone exchange deployed at the side the road closer to your home, it's copper all the way from here as with ADSL, so a microfilter is still required if you're on an old BT Master socket with no MK2/MK3 VDSL faceplate.
Before self installs an Openreach engineer used to come round to your house and fit a new updated NTE5A master socket with a MK3 VDSL faceplate, this setup means no need for a filter, but they've done away with this now to save costs I assume.
Assuming you're using the Hub One, it should come pre-configured with your username and password, mine was plug and play, up and running in 15 minutes.
Have you tried using a different browser to login to the router? I find that Chrome tries to autofill the wrong passwords occasionally. The password for your broadband should be the same one you use to access the Members Center with.
anniesboy
Rising Star

MyWifesHusband
Dabbler

Thanks all.
Was all working with a blue light on the router this morning and an email from plusnet so just a late activation I guess!
That makes sense about the microfilter - I was worried they'd sent me the wrong kit!
Speedtest was showing 30mb/7mb first thing this morning, and I just ran it again and got 40mb/8mb so although a huge improvement not quite as good as I was expecting.  I think I need to move the router closer to my master socket as it is at the end of an extension at the moment, and there is another socket elsewhere in the house that is never used so I guess I should get that disconnected at the master socket end.  Hopefully will net me a bit more speed...