cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before DLM Increases my Sync after Vectoring Applied?

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

How long before DLM Increases my Sync after Vectoring Applied?

I lost sync about 8.15pm tonight, when it connected back up the SNR had jumped up 10dB on the downstream from around 7dB.

The reason the SNR appears to have jumped is because DLM just enabled vectoring on my line. The router stats are below and the sync remains at what it was before DLM enabled vectoring.

Max attainable rate according to the modem is: Upstream rate = 8944 Kbps, Downstream rate = 40176 Kbps

DSLAM/MSAN type: BDCM:0xa48c / v0xa48c
Modem/router firmware: AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode: VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime: 1 hours 22 min 45 sec
Resyncs: 1 (since 10 Sep 2017 20:27:40)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 25.6 0.0
Connection speed (kbps): 32400 2000
SNR margin (dB): 10.6 24.4
Power (dBm): 12.3 5.5
Interleave depth: 16 1
INP: 45.00 0
G.INP: Enabled Not enabled
Vectoring status: 1 (VECT_FULL)

RSCorr/RS (%): 0.0253 0.0000
RSUnCorr/RS (%): 0.0000 0.0000
ES/hour: 3.11 0.05

4 REPLIES 4
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: How long before DLM Increases my Sync after Vectoring Applied?

Hi, sadly that's up to DLM to deicide it's an individual thing based on how it views your line so there really isn't any definitive answer to give, it can be anything from couple of days to a couple of weeks sometimes more, I would give it a couple of weeks and if nothing changes ask Plusnet for a GEA test to see if they can spot something.    

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Given your attenuation and connection speed it would  appear that you are in excess of 1km from the cab and as such vectoring may have no appreciable effect on your speeds

See these results from  Eircom http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

However the fact that your noise margin has jumped would indicate that there is some margin for improvement although how much is open to debate as when  mine dropped from 6dB to 3dB there was only a small increase in speed

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

As Oldjim said there is room for some improvement because of the increased noise margin, however I fear that you may be fixed at a banded speed of exactly 32.4Mbps. Do you always sync at that speed even after restarting the modem/router? FTTC banding is never easy to remove and will probably need a full DLM reset which can only be done by an openreach engineer after repairing a fault, so there is the problem, PlusNet will say there is no fault so will not send an engineer. You may be lucky and DLM may recognise the improved margin and remove the banding but it has been known to take many weeks or months for this to happen. I don't think you'll get any joy from customer service but the forum reps may be able to give some advice as to what can be done.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

My line is about 900 meters from the cab. Its on an A road at a crossroads with minor roads off to two villages, the cab serves both villages and the lines head out on poles along both the minor roads. The cab was installed when Openreach got a government handout for rural broadband a couple of years ago.

I've always sync'd somewhere around the 30 meg mark as far as I can determine. I've only really got visibility of my sync the last couple of weeks or so as I picked up a HG612 on ebay and unlocked it. Prior to this I had an ECI modem that was dropping every couple of days, but speed tests were usually around the 30 meg mark.

G.INP applied itself the first time it sync'ed up and my connection stabilised and went 10 days before dropping on Tuesday night. When it came back up vectoring was enabled and since then I am seeing 0 error seconds and 0 severe error seconds on the router stats. Prior to that I was getting around 30 error seconds per hour.

The 32400 sync speed is the top of the A Range on the BTW DSL checker, so it may well be that it is a banded line.

Guess, I'll just have to wait and see what happens over the next few weeks.