Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get reliable broadband

FIXED
NSCOFFIELD
Grafter
Fixes: 1

How do you get reliable broadband

My connection speed bounces all over the place and around 7 pm often drops to vertically nil.

line speed should be nearly 40mb rarely get above 20 and most of the time is between 4-8mb my mobile phone connection is often better and costs half the price. ?

11 REPLIES 11
Timalay
Grafter

Re: How do you get reliable broadband

So many variables can cause speeds problems.  Are you testing over a wireless or wired connection?  If it's the former it could be channel interference.  Try logging into your router and changing the 2.4Ghz channel from automatic to either 1, 6 or 11. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Is this a wireless or direct ethernet cable between router and computer?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

NSCOFFIELD
Grafter

Yes both wired and wireless , have changed channel several times .
NSCOFFIELD
Grafter

Currently between 1-2 mob sat next to router .
Gythral8PNC
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Move to somewhere else in the world, just make sure that you use a reliable service provider in that country, there is possible only 1 place in the UK (Kingston upon Hull), but for the rest of us the 2 backbone providers in the UK only have to be as good as each other (or no more appalling than the other which is nearer the truth)

Sounds to me like a contention (over subscription to the cabinet) issue if it consistently drops at peak times

NSCOFFIELD
Grafter

Upload speed is very consistent so unlikely the connection to the router is flaky

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Hi , i presume you have th PN router ?   do you have a spare to try ?  so you can rule out the router as the problem .

Also take a speed test here http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/  and try the further diagnosis test as it will let PN see your test Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

You need to go right back to the start, remove the BT faceplate and do the bt speedtest plus further diagnostics using an Ethernet cable and spare filter plugged directly into the test socket. If this is showing poor results then there's no point in messing further with your setup and you need to report the problem to PN. If this shows satisfactory results then you know that the problem is at your end, which is when the advice available here may be of use.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @NSCOFFIELD,

As rongtw and Baldrick1 have suggested, I'd recommend testing on a wired connection while connected to the test socket to try and rule out wireless/the faceplate/extension sockets etc. if you run a few speed tests over at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and click the option to continue on to further diagnostics as this will store the results on our suppliers systems and help raise a case for our suppliers investigate the matter further.

If you then report the fault over at https://faults.plus.net we'll be able to get the fault report raised with our suppliers.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
NSCOFFIELD
Grafter

Filter is built in and has been tested by BT engineer a dozen times or more.
NSCOFFIELD
Grafter

Fix
Tried removing the sync between the 2.4ghz and 5 on the router and seems to have solved everything , speeds up to 30+ mb all over the house.
No idea why it had this affect but happy it has. Maybe others with speed problems should try it.