Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do my SNR numbers look?

FIXED
kmm1013
Grafter

How do my SNR numbers look?

Hopefully, someone can give me a little assistance please...

I have been having some Fibre issues for the past month...slow speeds, disconnections etc...and I had Openreach out to my house (for the 3rd time) yesterday, and I wonder if someone can glance over these SNR numbers please and tell me if there's any issues here...

I had been using the Plusnet Hub One, but I was getting so many issues with it (disconnecting/reconnecting every 10 minutes) that I bought an Asus AC68U and have been using that...This screenshot is from the Asus Router...

My Openreach line sync is near 40Mb (as seen in the Openreach test)...plus, the Openreach guy did a series of tests, and got a stable 43000 sync/throughput speed on his 5 minute test yesterday, using his test equipment...however, my download speeds are about 10Mb...

Any advice would be most welcome...Thanks 

28 REPLIES 28
kmm1013
Grafter

Re: How do my SNR numbers look?

P.S.

This is a screenshot of my BT Wholesale speedtest (diagnostics)...

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: How do my SNR number look?

These stats are showing your data rate is nearly 39Mbps and the SNS at 6dB, which is where you would expect it to be after a DLM reset, so this all looks fine.

The question therefore has to be asked how you are measuring a download speed of 10dB. Is this with a direct Ethernet cable between your router and a computer. If you are using wireless of powerline converters then these could be the cause of your problem.

So, my suggestions:

1. If you are not testing using a direct Ethernet cable between your router and a computer then do so and confirm the speed you are getting here, If you are using an Ethernet cable then it could be that Plusnnet have set your profile too low.

2. If you are using wireless there are a few things to try.

2a. Separate the 2.4 and  5 GHz bands:

Go to 'Advanced Settings' -> 'Wireless'.

Click on 5 GHz wireless tab

Change the 'Sync with 2.4 GHz' to 'No'.

Assign your new wireless SSID name. eg. ConnectionName-5GHz

Then try each band in turn (you will default to the 2.4 GHz band but need to reconnect wirelessly to pick up the renamed 5GHz band) use whichever is best.

2b. Download a wifi 'sniffer' app (I use Wifi Analyser on an Android phone) Look at your transmissions plus those of your neighbours. Look at both the router position and where wireless devices are used. If there are strong signals from neighbours using the same channel as you then go into your router advanced setting again and manually set the wifi channel to one that is relatively clear.

3. If you're use powerline devices then buy a long length of terminated Ethernet cable. which is available on line quite cheaply and substitute that to see if things improve.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

kmm1013
Grafter

All of my tests/usage are done using an ethernet connected PC running Windows 10...

And if you see the Wholesale test screenshot I just posted, you will see my download vs sync issue...

Thanks

Baldrick1

In that case I suggest that unless done so already you should do the BT wholesale test when plugged into the Test Socket (that's the one located behind the fron cover of the BT Master Socket), go on to complete the 'Further Diagnostics' then report a fault to Plusnet.

Moderator and Customer

kmm1013
Grafter

Thanks, but I am working off the test socket already...it was the first thing that I was advised to do 4 weeks ago when the issues started...

Baldrick1

Ok, I guess that you have to contact Plusnet unless a staffer comes along and picks up this post. Sorry I can't help.

What I can't get my head around is why the router should report a data rate of 38Mbps whilst speed tests only achieve 8Mbps.

Hopefully some-one will come along and explain this to me.

Moderator and Customer

kmm1013
Grafter

Me, Plusnet Faults Team and Openreach (via 3 visits) are also at a loss as to why I am not getting 38Mb speed...

I really cannot see many more options other than me trying a different ISP (though it's not something I want to do, if possible)...

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear of the ongoing connection issues you've been having despite the attempts engineers have made to fix the problem. Due to the amount of appointments we've arranged I've raised an escalation with our suppliers.

It's likely that we'll need to book another visit, however our suppliers will be able to escalate this with Openreach to try to make sure a more experienced engineer is assigned and thoroughly investigates the line.

We should hear back within 24 hours, and our faults team will contact you when we do.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the issues you're having.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I must point out that the BTW speed test has not given reliable speed results for some time now and will not until BTW fix it and change from using flash which most browsers these days do not use.

If the OP hasn't already i would run speed tests here https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

if it gives the same 10Mb download then clearly there is a fault, if not then there wouldn't be a need to send the engineer and waste time on something BTW should have fixed especially as they require it for logging results to their servers for faults.

kmm1013
Grafter

Thanks...that was very useful information and the BTW speedtest...

I only use that one because it is the one that Plusnet always tell me to use (as opposed to Speedtest.net), so I (maybe naively) assumed it was reliable...

One thing the BTW speedtest gave me was my line IP profile, so at least it told me that I [b][i]should[/b][/i] be getting close to 40Mb, but in fact was only getting sub 10...

I will be giving the Openreach DLM a chance overnight to look at my line and maybe make some adjustments...my understanding is that the DLM does a daily automatic reassessment between midnight and 5am, and can actively manage the line profile, either up or down, so I will wait until tomorrow morning and then run the thinkbroadband speedtest and see what it says...

Thanks again for the useful insight...appreciated! 

kmm1013
Grafter

I still have not had any follow up call from your Faults team from Monday...

Speeds are still poor...IP profile drops daily...

Faults team called me on Monday to arrange a 4th Openreach engineer visit (in 3 weeks), but your system (or Openreach's system) wouldn't allow a visit to be scheduled...Not that an appointment wasn't available, it was, just the system wouldn't let the appointment actually book...

The Faults guy said he would get it sorted and contact me, but I have not heard anything from them yet...

I did phone a couple of times, but all I got was your "regular" tech support, and their advice was "plug your cable into the Test Socket and leave it there for 3 days"...It's been in the Test Socket for 5 weeks already! 

How do I contact the actual Faults team who are dealing with this escalated issue?

I did call and ask to be transferred to the Faults team, and I was put through to just another regular tech support guy...

After 8 weeks of issues, I think it is time to look at other options than "plug your cable into the Test Socket"...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for your time on the phone @kmm1013

As discussed I've booked another engineer appointment in for tomorrow morning, and I've requested Wholesale to escalate this. I'll follow up tomorrow afternoon after the visit to find out how things went.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi there.

Our suppliers have advised that they've completed the work at the cabinet.

Everything working your side as you'd expect?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
kmm1013
Grafter

Thanks for the update re the cabinet work completing...

I just had a look at my IP profile on the BT Wholesale checker, and it shows my IP Profile at 36.27Mb, which is fine, but my line speed is still in the low 20's, but I wonder if you guys at Plusnet now need to reset/increase my line profile with yourselves to match the BT Wholesale profile?

Hopefully, we are on the way to finalising this...

Thanks,

Kevin