cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know my line has been upgraded?

jmackay
Hooked

How do I know my line has been upgraded?

Hi everyone,

First of all I need to admit that my service is not currently with Plusnet, I am with NOW TV, but that may change soon. I am looking for some advise and this forum seems quite good!

About 5 days ago I upgraded my package from up to 40mbps to up to 80mbps with an estimated max speed of 45mbps (I know hardly worth it). Previously to the upgrade I got about 37mbps and I still am getting about this. There doesn't appear to be a change to my line. My router is syncing at 39610kbps and hasn't moved although I don't know what this was prior to the upgrade. I would expect it to go to something above 40000kbps. Speaking to CS, they say the line upgrade is complete and this is the maximum speed I can get. I'm not convinced - I've seen my line faster than this in the past. Admittedly I know it won't go much more though.

How do I know if my line has been upgraded other than taking the word from CS?

NB I have ordered a new router which is coming today (Asus DSL-AC68U) which hopefully give me more information about my line and perhaps allow me to tweak some parameters. My current bundled NOW Hub Two router is rubbish from this point of view (although general use I have no problems).

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Slobcat1337
Grafter

Re: How do I know my line has been upgraded?

jmackay
Hooked

I regularly try this but as I said my speed has not changed from what it was prior to the upgrade. My only known way of knowing what the line is doing is looking at the sync rate on the router but again this doesn't appear to have changed, at least not by much if at all.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

It's quite likely that this is the best you will get. What results do you get if you put your phone number in here https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker?

The fact that you have seen faster in the past means nothing. As the number of fibre users has increased so has the amount of crosstalk on lines. This has resulted in speeds decreasing. I have lost 9Mbps in sync speed since I first took up fibre.

As you are not a Plusnet subscriber do not be surprised if a mod moves this topic to another board. There are still people around who will try to help.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jmackay
Hooked

That may well be the case. It was four years ago since I saw faster when I first moved in and tried 80/20. It doesn't mean nothing, it tells me something. But as you say, it doesn't mean I can still get it. There have been improvements to the technology which could allow faster than what I have seen before.

The point is I don't think the line has actually been upgraded and I have nothing that can prove or disprove this other than what CS tell me, which is well known to be horse [-Censored-] at times! I've tried accessing http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ which I believe can tell me what profile my line is on but it's not working - apparently too busy. Also as my number is not a BT number I'm not sure if it will work.