cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get Plusnet to stop emails to my deceased mother?

FIXED
JohnNewman
Hooked

How do I get Plusnet to stop emails to my deceased mother?

A long time ago, I recommended Plusnet to my mother and they kindly gave me a small discount off my own bill for doing so.

Earlier this year, Mum sadly passed away and I rang Plusnet to advise and they said the account would be cancelled and I would receive, as sole executor, a refund of part of her Line Rental saver. They also, almost immediately, cancelled the £1.25 discount I received which was fair enough.

I never received the refund which had been promised but I didn't chase it up because, as anyone could imagine, I had enough on my plate dealing with her estate and funeral.

Sometime later (because I was monitoring her old email) Plusnet send out some kind of email circular to her (I forget exactly what) and I replied to say it was quite distressing still to be receiving such communications and I heard no more, certainly not any acknowledgement or apology. Then again this week, another email appears from Plusnet saying her Line Rental Saver will need to be renewed. Again, I have responded giving Plusnet my own email address and log-in to respond to but, again, answer came there none.

I keep trying to ring only to be told every time there is a 20 minute queue and there is nowhere I can find on their website to actually send a direct complaint. It seems I can only write to them (but I don't have a printer) and I'm certainly not going out to buy pen, paper, envelopes and a stamp!

It would be really nice if Plusnet monitors these forums if someone who could help would contact me to sort this out. If not, can anyone give me an email address where I can send yet another mail which might be picked up and actioned?

Thanks,

John

12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: How do I get Plusnet to stop emails to my deceased mother?

@JohnNewman John, I'm sorry for your loss. It's been a while now since my mother passed away but I empathise with your distress at receiving further communications for her. I don't know how long ago it was the account was closed but I'm aware that there have been some issues recently with accounts not being closed fully. I suspect that it why communications are still being received.

I have escalated your post in the interest of hopefully getting a rapid resolution to the issue from one of the PlusNet help team

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi John,

Sad to hear of your troubles here.  In direct answer to your question, dealing with bereavement is the one exception for which Plusnet do accept email enquiries.  From the on-line help (you need to do a search for "bereavement"...

Your question: bereavement

We're very sorry to hear of your loss.

To cancel the account you'll need to contact us either by writing to:

Plusnet PLC, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S1 2GU,

or by emailing postroom@plus.net.

Please attach a copy of the death certificate along with the account holder's name, phone number and address (to help us find the correct account). Also include your own contact details, in case we need to clarify anything.

Alternatively, you can speak to our Customer Options Team ["I am thinking of leaving"]on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200. We're available between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am and 7pm on Saturdays, then 9am and 6pm Sunday (except bank holidays).

HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm really sorry for your loss John and the inconvenience this must have caused you.

If you can PM me with any of her account details I'll get this resolved as soon as possible

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
JohnNewman
Hooked

Thanks Matthew, I've just emailed to postroom@plus.net as suggested above. This is an extract of the mail just sent:

[Removed]

You were advised of her death in April, you allegedly cancelled her account, you rescinded the £1.25 discount you had given me for recommending her to you (which proves you were aware of her death), and promised a partial refund of her Line Rental Saver which I never received."

Hope this helps to get this resolved.

Thanks, John
Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for sending in the e-mail John.

As mentioned I'd be more than happy to chase this up if you can PM me us with any of her account details

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for providing your details here and via private message John.

I'd like to offer my sincere condolences to you and your family for your loss, I know it's a very difficult time even without having to deal with things like this.

I've sorted this out for you now, so no further email communication should go out and a cheque for unused line rental saver should be dispatched soon to your address.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to let us know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JohnNewman
Hooked

Hi guys and thank you for the help so far. Unfortunately the department issuing the cheque (a) addressed the letter to my deceased mother and (b) made the cheque payable to Vera Newman Only. Leaving aside the fact the letter really should have been addressed to myself, I can do nothing with the cheque due to the fact that, as her sole executor, I went around closing all her accounts in April of this year and there is therefore no account into which I can pay the cheque. My bank has therefore refused to accept the cheque and advised me to refer back to yourselves.

They say I need a cheque payable to myself as her executor which I could pay into my own bank account and then distribute to the other beneficiaries. How do I get this sorted? I am willing to go into your office in Sheffield from where the cheque was issued and take a copy of her death certificate and the original of her will naming me as executor which you could make a copy of yourselves. I am not willing to send these through the post as there is only one copy of the will. There was no Grant of Probate as her Estate was below the threshold required for this.

I appreciate everyone is trying to be helpful but I really would like to finalise this as soon as possible please.

Many thanks,

John.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Review process

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

I'm really sorry to hear what has happened.

I've escalated this with the relevant team as a matter of urgency and I'll update you when I know more

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

A sad tale.

Does it not beg the question why an internet company does not have email addresses available for Customer Services and probably Technical Enquires that are monitored frequently?

Waiting for long periods on a phone (sometimes so long that you forget why you rang!) listening to scratchy music with interjections of "you can do this via our website" or similar, is just a waste of time. So much easier to send an Email and allow staff to reply when convenient.

I take it there's an address for snail mail, but not having email contact in a company built initially upon providing them seems almost ridiculous. It's as if keeping customers at arms length is prime requirement.

JohnNewman
Hooked

Just wanted to say thanks to all who have helped. I have now received a cheque for the refund correctly made out.

Thanks again,

John

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @JohnNewman,

Thank you for letting us know its all been resolved. I will ensure I pass on your comments and please don't hesitate to get in touch if you need any further assistance.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team