cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How badly has your fibre product speed fell in past 3months?

TxRxFx
Dabbler

How badly has your fibre product speed fell in past 3months?

With all the exchange work and lack of upstream information from BT Wholesale to Plusnet about said work until you lodge a fault I thought it'd be worth doing a straw poll so we can see how bad this is nationwide.
21 REPLIES 21
Photik
Dabbler

Re: How badly has your fibre product speed fell in past 3months?

Had an engineer come out yesterday to check my line. Line was originally at 80 down. My Down range has now dropped from the phone line and modem.......I'm down a quarter of my original speed, and apparently this is acceptable ?...what a joke. I feel like all customers are being taken for a ride.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi TxRxFx,
I'm not really sure what the purpose of this poll is. There are so many variables as to why speeds could suffer, and different reasons for prospective faults. Also it seems a bit odd putting both quantitative and qualitative measures as options for an answer.
Either way, I can see that you've got a fault on your line so I have pressed for an update from our faults team for you.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

pretty pointless poll as the posters on such a forum as this don't represent any significant population,. they are in effect a self selecting subset of plusnet custermers. Most Plusnet customers don't have a problem or don't care  Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
St3
Aspiring Champion

Great thread too see how many customers are having speed reductions. I can say that ive had a support ticket in for almost 2 weeks now because ive gone from 74 down to 62 down and still have my same upload speeds of 18 meg. PN did reply to my ticket 50 hours after i raised it last week which i found poor, never used to be this slow. PN told me theres a fault with a "svlan" at my green cabinet and bt are waiting for parts, i dont understand why my upload speeds have not been affected? Kinda get the feeling someones trying to cap me at 62 meg and i only get that feeling because of the amount of customers in the past month all complaining about speed drops.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I've just been kicked onto Ptn-bng01 & my speed has increased to the very best in over 3 years with PN.  Smiley
However, I agree with PeterLoftus:
Most Plusnet customers don't have a problem or don't care  Grin
Melancholie
Grafter

Careful, we're all apparently obliged to care whether we notice any issues with standard use or not.
If you don't notice issues you just aren't speed testing often enough.  Tongue
NedLudd
Grafter

I suffered from the G.INP/ECI modem problem so I just went out bought a Billion 8800NL and "Problem Solved!" and I've saved a plug-hole too!
Speed problems are not down to PN, but to the network over which no ISP (apart from Virgin) has any control!
Geoff,
York.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Unfortunately my speed has improved and latency reduced so I'm unable to select a suitable choice on this poll.
That is not to say I don't sympathise with those who have seen degradation of service due to either G.INP or line faults.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: NedLudd
Speed problems are not down to PN, but to the network over which no ISP (apart from Virgin) has any control!

Sky and TalkTalk are fine too, as are those using TalkTalk Business as a wholesale provider. Zen are also okay in a number of exchanges.
It's equivocal where the issues lie as no-one seems to have the ability to test things end to end.
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: Ignition
If you don't notice issues you just aren't speed testing often enough.  Tongue
Lol , but some of us don't need or rely on speed tests, the issues that have been ongoing for the past several months  where all to apparent and why should customers shut up or put up when the service being provided isn't what it should be ? and FYI if you didn't already know some of those issues highlighted in another thread  are/were down to our ISP
PeterLoftus
Pro

To further explain my post above
This poll if flawed on two major points
1. The majority of Plusnet customers, whether they have speed problems or not, do not know of the existence of the poll. So it is not representative of anything
2. The people with problems around these parts will "wade in" with their grievances, giving a totally magnified impression of a negative situation
I appreciate that there are issues which can be helpfully dealt with by the expertise present on the forum, but let's keep it as extra help for gamers, website publishers and downloaders etc. And not get involved in the dubious "right" to 70+ Mbps all the time and extremely low pings.  Huh
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Lorian
Grafter

I got 22MBs when the only line on the cab connected to fibre (long line)
Fell back gradually to 15Mbs since then.
With G.INP recently implemented now its back to 20MBs and 8ms off the latency.
Grff
Grafter

Seems hit and miss browsing for me.
Speed tests 4ft from the router give me anywhere between 17mb and 60+ mb.
Some tracert's timeout, and some pages just take ages to load.
Tried using googles DNS but made no difference.  Going to try disconnecting my router and reconnecting, see if that helps.
Browsing used to be great, seems to be not so great any more.
Although PlusNet pages are loading fine, so maybe an issue with certain routes of PlusNet.
Grff
Grafter

Saying that, the PlusNet page timed out while submitting the above post when I went to correct a spelling mistake.