Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House Move

puglord1973
Grafter

Re: House Move

@bmc wrote:

Using the Address version of the DSLChecker enter your post code and then select your property (which I think you've done above). Look at the narrative below the results - does in say anything like "ONT Installed - no service"

If it does then the Optical Network Terminator required for FTTP is installed and ready for service.

Brian

@bmc - Thanks for the reply, my house says....

"FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered."

I also checked the house next door which is nearly complete also and that says....

• "ONT exists with no active service. A spare port is available. A new ONT may be ordered."

When i went in the house for the 2nd fix the other week i could see the ONT in the down stairs cupboard which was plugged in and powered on.....we are going back to see the house on Wednesday so i can take a photo just to make sure.

Any thought why the two messages are different?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@puglord1973 

For my address I have

ONT exists with active service. A spare port is available. A new ONT may be ordered

Now, I happen to know that I have an old style ONT with 4 ports. If I wished to change provider I believe I could start the new service before cancelling my existing ISP as there are spare ports.

It may just be that the records haven't been updated yet for your address. What you need is the second message. Have a look at BT on-line and run their availability checker - it would only show FTTP products if a service can be ordered.

The newest ONT style can be seen at

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/a-look-at-openreachs-compact-fttp-broadband-ont-and-mi...

Brian

puglord1973
Grafter

@bmc wrote:

Have a look at BT on-line and run their availability checker - it would only show FTTP products if a service can be ordered.

From the BT site i can get the following

• ULTRAFAST FIBRE 2 PLUS - Your download speed 300Mb - £59.99 (£120 Gift Card)

• ULTRAFAST FIBRE PLUS - Your download speed 150Mb - £54.99 (£120 Gift Card)

• SUPERFAST FIBRE 2 - Your download speed 74Mb - £39.99 (£100 Gift Card)

• SUPERFAST FIBRE - Your download speed 50Mb - £35.99 currently reduced to £29.99 (£80 Gift Card)

My thoughts where to look for a 12/18 month SUPERFAST FIBRE 2 deal in the hope the the FTTP prices come down as i dont want to be paying £55-60. As i'm stuck with only IPS's that can provide a FTTP service can anyone advise if anyone does it cheaper than BT or is everyone the same?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@puglord1973 

In post #5 of this thread MisterW gave a link to an IPSReview article which showed ISP's who provide FTTP. The prices shown were for the next level up (160 down) but gives a general idea of pricing.

BT includes a phone service so you would be able to keep your current phone number (I believe). You would need to order by phone to confirm this.

Zen Internet is the other major player listed (Sky aren't offering anything yet!!!). It appears their equivalent package is $35pm (look under Broadband only). This has a lifetime price guarantee (apparently!!!). Each service offers different things so you need to look at what's important to you.

I consider it unlikely that FTTP prices will fall much given the wholesale costs involved. OpenReach need to earn a return on their investment though there was a general wholesale price cut recently to encourage demand.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/07/openreach-cuts-uk-isp-wholesale-prices-for-fttp-ultraf...

Brian