cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House Move

puglord1973
Grafter

House Move

Hi, I'm after some advice with regards to moving house to a new build.

I've checked on BTWholeSale which shows the following at the new build.

FTTP_1.jpg

......compared to my current address.Fibre.jpg

So i wanted to know what products i can get as i can see the FTTP shows upto 330/50 Mbps but i dont see any products on plusnet site that go this high.

Also how long typically does it take BT to connect up the house and do i need to do anything before the completion date to get things moving or does the developer do that?

18 REPLIES 18
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: House Move

@puglord1973 

Plusnet do not currently offer a FTTP product and anyway its availability is only shown as planned.  Ignore the FTTP On Demand service, this can cost a four figure sum for installation. If I was in your position I would go with the 40/10 FTTC service.

In terms of getting it ordered I would think that you just order it from Plusnet at the appropriate time and they do the rest. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If I was in your position I would go with the 40/10 FTTC service.

@Baldrick1  I read the OP's availability results as showing that ONLY FTTP was going to be available.

I'm basing this on the showing of 'Other offerings' immediately after the WBC FTTP . This is usually the last item, so if FTTC was available then it would be before that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@MisterW 

You are right. What I had failed to notice is that this is in fact two screen shots separated by '..compared to my current address.'

@puglord1973 

My apologies. It looks like FTTP is your only option. A service not offered by Plusnet. I believe that the main players are BT and Zen although other smaller players are coming into the market.

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@puglord1973  for info , there a list of FTTP suppliers in here https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/consumer-isp-choices-on-openreachs-uk-fttp-broadband-n...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

It's probably also worth keeping an eye out to see what Talk Talk and Sky are doing. Both seem to be close to offering FTTP. This could be a game changer price wise.

Moderator and Customer

puglord1973
Grafter

For reference this is the details that comes up for the show home which i noticed had a BT router connected to it when i went in last.

FTTP_2.jpg

.....and this is the house next door which have moved in and have broadband apparently even though it says FTTP Install Process is 1 Stage what ever that means.

FTTP_3.jpg

Does the VDSL Range A & B only show up depending on which fibre package you have?

Baldrick1

No the VDSL impacted always shows up but it's very unlikely to be an issue with a new build. The 1 stage install is indicating that the fibre is probably already at the property and only needs the termination unit and connection to get it active.

I would talk to the builder to make sure that your house is similarly provisioned regardless of whether you want to pay for FTTP now or go for the cheaper FTTC option until the price drops.

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Just a thought, will VDSL(fttc) only show if there's a copper line installed. Chances are that there may be no copper lines as standard, since they've been cabled for ftp. Probably the show house had a phone line installed for the sales agents.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @puglord1973,

Can you PM me the address you are moving to and I can look into this further and get back to you with a more detailed response.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
puglord1973
Grafter

Well it looks like its all setup now.

FTTP_4.jpg

I called the house move team the other week as i was advised that they would have to instigate a house move request to be able to determine if Plusnet could supply a new build that was FTTP only with a FTTC package like what i'm on now, but someone in the house move team was meant to call me back after i discussed a few things with my other half but they didnt and i havent chased them either.

I've been doing lost of research and came across a forum post that said that an ISP that doesnt supply a FTTP product cannot supply a FTTC product to a FTTP only home......Is this correct Huh

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

FTTP only (no FTTC on the checker so it is not available - probably no copper phone line)  so PlusNet can't supply a service so you need to go to a different ISP.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @puglord1973, I'm really sorry that you didn't get your callback.

To be honest it seems very likely the address is FTTP only and therefore not a service we'll be able to provide you, however, by all means we'd be able to place and order with the supplier so a survey can be carried to determine that this is the case.

If you'd like to go ahead with this, I'd recommend giving the team another call on 0800 587 1952 so we can get the ball rolling.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@puglord1973 

The "1 Stage" process install means that only one visit from OpenReach is required to install FTTP. The previous process involved two visits. As it is a new build house the work might even be complete with no visits required - simply an activation on the required date.

You will need to change ISP. PlusNet may, or may not, offer a FTTP service in the future but in the here and now they don't.

Note that no phone line / service is required for FTTP. If you need your phone and want to keep your number then you'll need to ask a VOIP provider to "port" the number to their service. Note - this has to be done before you cancel your current phone line so you don't lose the number. Timing would be critical.

Brian

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@puglord1973 

Couple of things have come to mind.

If your current property is still on the market then you could run two connections at once. Keep your current service going and set up your new one at the new house. If you want to port your phone number to a VOIP provider then you can do so without losing it.

Using the Address version of the DSLChecker enter your post code and then select your property (which I think you've done above). Look at the narrative below the results - does in say anything like "ONT Installed - no service"

If it does then the Optical Network Terminator required for FTTP is installed and ready for service.

Brian