cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot Weather killing connection

siddlysid

Hot Weather killing connection

It seems everytime it gets hot, there's phases where my connection drops constantly - I had an engineer out - he put it down to internal wiring.

This surely can't be the case? The distance from the point where the copper wire enters the building and the master socket is about 4 meters. My router is then plugged straight into that.

Yesterday, I swapped the router out - just in case, but it's still dropping connection today. The dsl light just flashes for a couple of minutes then the connection comes back.

It seems, anecdotally that it only happens on hot days. Some days it works perfectly and doesn't drop out at all. When the engineer came, it worked perfectly & he left without doing anything.

Haven't had an engineer out yet this time as they'll only come when i'm at work - haven't had the opportunity to have a morning off for a while. It's so incredibly frustrating & in my opinion absolutely nothing to do with internal wiring.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Hot Weather killing connection

Any incoming wiring upstream of the Master Socket is the responsibility of BT. Have you eliminated all your internal extension wiring? Either way you need to remove the front cover of your master socket (you may need to remove two screws). Pull this off to reveal the Test Socket. Plug your router in here via a filter and if there's still connection drops with no telephone plugged in then it's got to be the responsibility of BT.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

siddlysid

there's not even a phone plugged into the master socket, let alone any extensions. Only thing plugged into it is the openreach modem.

I'll try the test socket. It's a strange one though - it could work for hours on end. it went down 9 times earlier when I posted the first message, it's been up for the last 3 and a quarter hours without dropping. If i plug into the test socket now, it's just going to work, as it is anyway. Sad

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I know it’s a pain and most probably a waste of times but it’s one of the hoops it’s best to jump through in order to get the problem addressed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

siddlysid

yeah, took faceplate off, - no internal wiring. plugged directly to the socket via filter. still worked.

will have to wait for openreach to come round and find nothing again Smiley

Waz
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @siddlysid,

Thank you for your response. I am sorry for the difficulties you have been experiencing with your broadband connection. After reviewing the account further I can confirm a fault ticket has been raised which can be found here. Please can you confirm your availability on the support ticket raised so we can progress with the booking of an engineer. Let us know when you've done this.