Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homehub 5 Type A vs Type B

donka
Grafter

Homehub 5 Type A vs Type B

Hi,
I saw a post in one of these threads saying Homehub 5 Type B works better with fibre connections than Type A. Given BT provide both types for fibre, I would be surprised if there was much in it but I wanted to ask if there was any truth in this that anyone is aware of?
Cheers, Andy.
13 REPLIES 13
godsell4
Rising Star

Re: Homehub 5 Type A vs Type B

search for G.INP compatabilty on this forum and via google, there is truth in this matter, it has been going on for a month or two, BT have a fix though which is rolling to the FTTC cabinets
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
NoZephy
Rising Star

Off the top of my head Type A uses a Lantiq chipset and suffers the same problems as ECI modems which also use Lantiq chipsets while the Type B uses a Broadcom chipset like the HG612
donka
Grafter

Ok. I picked up a HH5 Type A at the start of the year on the cheap and it has been rock solid on ADSL. We should be getting out fibre cabinet enabled shortly but I'm just wondering if I should be looking to replace this HH5 or not when we switch to fibre?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: donka
I'm just wondering if I should be looking to replace this HH5 or not when we switch to fibre?

If you're not satisfied with the HH5's vdsl connection you can always use the supplied BT modem and connect that to the HH5's ewan port.
donka
Grafter

Yes, I will have that as a back up option would still prefer a single box solution and don't mind paying extra for that. What are the possible issues with the Type A to look for - a drop in performance or dropped connections?
davenos
Rising Star

I've been using a Type A for months which apart from a small week long issue where it would reboot itself once a day which caused my upload speed to plummet its been rock solid,im currently 13 days and 22 hours without reboot(and the reboot 13 days ago was due to some remodeling of the room the router is in).
Im actually getting slightly higher download speeds than with the Openreach modem/Plus net router combo.
npr
Pro

The G.INP issue should be resolved before you get fibre, BT are at present rolling out a fix, so I wouldn't worry about that.
As for the chipset, some people actually prefer BT's ECI modems with the Lantiq chipset so I would wait and see.  -- do some testing when you're up and running to see what suits your line.
If you can get the BT installer to leave you a Huawei modem not a ECI one you'll then be able to test both chipsets without any extra expense.
donka
Grafter

Thanks all for your comments. Looks like there is nothing concrete out there so just a case of wait and see.
Cheers, Andy.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

When considering a Type B, make sure you're not going to be impacted by this port forwarding bug.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

donka
Grafter

Thanks Bob.
So your advice would be to stick with the Type A provided the new profile is rolled out to all DSLAM cabinets? Also, which router did you swap out the HH for?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

So your advice would be to stick with the Type A provided the new profile is rolled out to all DSLAM cabinets?

Yeah, I'd hang fire until you've at least had the opportunity to see how things perform.
Also, which router did you swap out the HH for?

A Technicolor 589vn v3, although the Type A is back on the line at the moment.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

donka
Grafter

Thanks Bob.
npr
Pro

You can find a list of combined VDSL2 (fibre) routers here: