Did you mean: 

Homegroup/Sky/Wireless Printer Issue on the Hub One

thedyes0
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Homegroup/Sky/Wireless Printer Issue on the Hub One

Hi,

Hub Zero:
I've had been using the Hub Zero and it was having a ton of issues with random dropping of connections on both WiFi and LAN but it wasn't losing sync, it also kept crashing on the router firmware, if I tried to connect to 192.168.1.1 (or 254 when it was set to 254) it would just display a white page, it had a few other problems too and so PlusNet sent me another Hub Zero to try but that too had the exact same problems.

Hub One (Friends):
I tried a friends Hub One and it worked perfectly with no dropping connections, no crashing of firmware and it was also much faster. Comes with a few extra benefits too of having 5Ghz, better appearance, less-hacky firmware, 1 box instead of 2 (I actually had to use 3 when on the Hub Zero (2704n), because I needed 4 LAN connections so I had to have a switch down with the router & modem). However I never tested the 3 things are now currently not working for me so I can't say if it's a fault with this Hub One or not.

Hub One ("My" One):
I contacted PlusNet and we sorted out a Hub One instead of the Hub Zero's as the difference between them for me was HUGE, it's unusual because my friend tried my Hub Zero and he didn't have any issues so I guess the problem is I was overloading the router with data/connections...
The Hub One works perfectly everywhere except with Sky+, My Wireless Printer & homegroups...

Sky+ Problem
I've tried connecting it with both WPS & Manual setup, with both a Static IP (Tried setting it via the Host and via DHCP) and Dynamic IP and it connects perfectly BUT when I try to control the Sky box via the Sky+ App it doesn't work, it can't detect the Sky Box at all...
The Sky+ box says it's connected but when I try and ping the box via ping 192.168.1.240 for example all requests timeout and also in the "Home Network" page in the router, it shows that it's not connected...

Brother Printer
Exactly the same as the Sky+ problem, it connects fine via WPS or manual setups with static or dynamic IP's but when I try and connect to it the printer "appears offline", visiting it via the web at 192.168.1.250 finds nothing likewise when I try and ping it.

Homegroup Problem
Pretty similar, but this time it's wired connections that it's happening on... Homegroups show no connected devices: http://i.imgur.com/QnCNDOy.png when there clearly are. If I switch back to the old router it fixes all 3 issues but then im back on the router that crashes and everything.
Yes I've made sure that my homegroup is setup correctly, home network... etc

What I've tried...
- I've tried various wifi channels
- I've tried various wireless interfaces
- I've tried disabling Extended UPnP Security
- I've tried disabling the firewall
- I've tried restarting the router.
Nothing helps 😕
7 REPLIES 7
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Homegroup/Sky/Wireless Printer Issue on the Hub One

For Sky, it is possible the box is connected on a band either 2G or 5G but the device is on a different band. I had this issue with my Sky box as well and iPhone.
What I did was, was separate the bands and label them differently. This can be done by logging into the router at https://192.168.1.254 and go to advanced settings then wireless and you can change the name. Ensure sync with 2.4ghz in the 5ghz tab is disabled.
This could also be the case with the printer.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
thedyes0
Rising Star

Hi,
I've already gone through all of the basic things like that, it's not related to that because I've tried it with 5ghz disabled and also tried 2.4ghz disabled, also tried them with different channels, passwords, ssids... nothing has worked.
thedyes0
Rising Star

Bump
thedyes0
Rising Star

The Twitter team said that:
As these are 3rd party devices I would consult the manufacturers user guides ^BB
We aren't able to provide support with specific devices not connecting to our routers I'm afraid ^MW
Most of our customers use the router to connect printers without issue and there isn't anything in particular we can advise to assist ^MW

It clear isn't a problem with the 3rd party devices, trying to put the blame on Windows, Google, Femtocell (3/Three), Brother... lol
I've tried other routers and they work fine HG533, Several D-Link and Linksys routers, Hub Zero(although Hub Zero's have wifi/ethernet hang/dropouts way too often).
Either I've been super unlucky and received a dodgy Hub One (3rd router... it's a pain having to go to the post office to send routers back all the time)  or there is an issue with the router or something that I am missing with the configuration (unlikely this last one)
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,149396.0.html Same issue
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,149095.0.html Appears to have the same issue
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,148964.0.html again, similar sounding issue
Apparently the following should fix it: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho... but we don't have access to that setting.
thedyes0
Rising Star

I spoke with Google (Chromecast), Sky (Sky+ App) and Three (Home Signal) and they all told me the same things:
- Enable UPnP  - Already set by default.
- Enable Multicast - No option available for this...
- Enable IGMP (Any version) - No option available for this...
- Disable IGMP Proxy - No option available for this...
- Disable AP/Client Isolation - No option available for this...
- Disable VPN & VPN Support - No option available for this...
- Disable Proxy Servers / Proxy Support - No option available for this...
And lastly, the most important one they all told me was because the Hub One is a re-branded BT Home Hub:
- Disable "Smart Setup" feature - No option available for this...
thedyes0
Rising Star

Bump, clearly this is out of our hands as the firmware is somewhat locked down rather than being open.
thedyes0
Rising Star

I've dropped a message on twitter to which I was told that they'd get someone to have a look at this forum post.... no reply or anything.

I dropped them another message a few days later to which I didn't even get a reply on twitter.

So much for "We'll do you proud", it's pretty much the complete opposite so far.

I just reset my chromecast to try and fix that... can't even connect to it now via this router yet my other router (HG533) I can connect fine, it all works lovely on my HG533.

How does this make any sense:

http://i.imgur.com/mlFsP2V.png

Show's it connected, but yet my phone can't get the router and chromecast to connect.

On the chromecast it says it can connect to the router but cannot access the internet.