cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High throughput but non existent browsing.

stevemoid

High throughput but non existent browsing.

I have a weird one that's been bothering me for about a month now. 

Since the 20th of Sep I have been unable to browse the web with any of my windows machines. I have a desktop, and 4 laptops affected. Oddly enough If I open the likes of spotify or game online with these machines, there is no issue. Only when browsing. Tablets and mobiles are unaffected by this also. 

I initially thought it was related to a new AV app I had installed on one of the laptops, so this was removed. I then checked the other devices which didn't have this and the issue persisted. I rolled back all windows updates that came from that day. I even wiped a laptop and installed a fresh OS and it's the same. I also purchased a new laptop for work and tried it out and it was the same out of the box. Interestingly enough, if you take any of these out and put them on another wireless or wired network they all work fine. I also installed new browsers with no change. Resetting the network adapters on the devices also makes no difference either. 

I have been leaning towards an issue with the router, so reset this back to factory settings. No change. I allowed one of the devices through the firewall essentially leaving it open and no change. 

I don't understand what could be causing it. If all internet services were affected I could determine a fault with the router/isp but with my throughput speed still being high and getting normal services on PS4 gaming, laptop gaming, ipad, phones etc. I'm stuck.

If anyone has any ideas, please fire away. 

Thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: High throughput but non existent browsing.

What O/S is on your devices? Are they all the same or a mixture of different ones?

Can you try again for me and let me know whether it's improved?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
stevemoid

Hi Chris,

I have Win 10, win 8 and a win 7 machine. Have tried all of them and all share the same symptoms. 

Thanks. 

Chris
Legend

We've pushed a change to your router to see if this fixes the issue for you, let us know how it goes.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
stevemoid

Hi Chris 

So far so good. Could you tell me what you changed? So I could fix it myself should it occur again. 

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What router are we talking about? If it's the 582n, it could be the 198.18.1.x address problems (DNS issue).

Chris
Legend

It's exactly that @ejs, thanks for the link.