cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ping & packet loss, gaming is unbearable.

MUFFiN
Grafter

High ping & packet loss, gaming is unbearable.

So for the last week or so, when I have been playing rust I have been getting up to 13000 ping. This is causing me to have severe lag issues on the game and even browsing the web or streaming content is awful.

Doing pingtests I get packet loss of over 50%.

Please sort your [-Censored-] out PN, this is a horrible experience, sadly we still have to pay for the service whilst you try to figure it out what is causing the issues.
7 REPLIES 7
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: High ping & packet loss, gaming is unbearable.

Have you seen this thread at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/High-packet-loss-and-other-DNS-issues/m-p/1354749#U135... because you may be suffering from this issue?

If not, you may have another issue or fault which needs to be diagnosed.

First thing is to check for a phone fault (if Plusnet provide the phone start here https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ ) If you do have a phone voice fault, report it as such and do not mention any broadband issues. And then when that is fixed, see if the broadband is better.

Then if still not solved (or no phone fault is in evidence) start with the FTTC guides at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Fault-Guides/m-p/1156188#U1156188

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MUFFiN
Grafter

Sorry for the late reply.

I have been reading on the other topic about this, it appears less people are now receiving the packet loss problem, or at least there is less people complaining about it.

I reported a fault a yesterday since I was advised to by livechat. My speeds lower than expected since my move over to the new network. I am yet to hear anything back.

I usually get 30/32mbps down & 6/7mbps up, however that has dropped to about 25mbps & 4mbps, however the worst part of it is the packet loss that I receive from around this time almost daily which results in web pages being sluggish and excruciating high pings when gaming.  I usually get 28/35ms ping on a rust server I play on. Right now I have 8944ms ping, whilst it was perfect just about an hour ago.

I cannot get a TBB graph to work for some reason, it always shows a solid red 100% packet loss, however here is my latest pingtest showing a 43% packet loss.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@MUFFiN

The TBB monitor will not work with the  Plusnet Hub One router as the router drops any pings sent it to. Some people get round that by port forwarding pings to an device on their network such as an Amazon TV stick.

It does like you have been trapped by the long standing bug discussed at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/High-packet-loss-and-other-DNS-issues/m-p/1354749#U135... given the high ping failure at pingtest.net, the problem gets worse as the day progresses, you are on the new network and do not have a static IP.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MUFFiN
Grafter

Thanks again for the reply SpendLessTime.

I'm afraid that PN do not know how to fix this bug. Most of the updates that I have saw about the issue seem a little vague and usually regurgitated therefore we have no idea how long this issue will take to be rectified.

PN said here yesterday that the packet loss issue had been resolved. Today they have said that "no outage has been reported" referring to it being line specific.

I don't wish to spend £5 to get a static IP, not because I'm tight-fisted but because I'd rather my ISP either gave them out free of charge until a fix can be found, or they actually get to the root of the problem. Not to mention I have only 1 month or less remaining on my contract so if the issue is not resolved shortly, I will be forced to find a new ISP, which is a shame  because I haven't really had too many issues up until this point, but as a customer I would like to receive the service I am paying for.

MUFFiN
Grafter

More horrible speed drops last night, I went down to 3.87mbps which made made it impossible for us to stream a movie via chromecast.

Running a BTW speedtest today stated that my IP Profile was set at 25.41mbps, my current line speed found here states;

Current line speed:55 Mb

Surely this cannot be right?? I don't have huge knowledge of how all this works, but it certainly does not sound right to me.

My contract with plusnet expires on the 8th of October, does anyone know an approximate price that I would be charged to change ISP's before then?

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, 'Broadband and Phone early termination charges' can be found here:

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/plusnet-price-guide-for-residential-products/

It can take around 2 weeks to switch provider btw.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You can see the costs in Account Summary  in the member centre