cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss in evenings (Ealing W5)

bzykubd
Hooked

High packet loss in evenings (Ealing W5)

Hi,

I have unlimited fibre broadband plan since 1 year, and so far everything was good but in last three days, in the evenings its not possible to play any online game because of very high packet loss.

Example for ping -t www.google.com:

Ping statistics for 216.58.208.164:
Packets: Sent = 217, Received = 189, Lost = 28 (12% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 7ms, Average = 6ms

What can I do to make it better? I've tried restarting router etc, doesnt help at all.

My location is London Ealing, W5.

17 REPLIES 17
yyurchuk05
Dabbler

Re: High packet loss in evenings (Ealing W5)

And I will add to this, that the same thing is happening in W2, Paddington (see attachment)

I tried to talk to support. They said that this issue has been going for a while. Best answer ever. I asked what is the issue - we can't say. When is it planned to be fixed - we can't say. For how long have you had it (it has been like this for me for about a week now) - we can't say...

I also did not see any announcements about central London disruptions at all... 

What's the best course of action?

martski

Exactly same for me in the Midlands. They can't blame this on the weather, it's been happening for at least 3 days.

Some of us are unable to play games we are paying to access, this means because they are unplayable Plusnet is costing me money when I can't use them. Ping is going from 20-500ms every 10 -15 seconds, terrible.

What compensation are gamers going to be given?

Come on PN do us proud...

Element
Dabbler

Same problem for me for the last few days, impossible to do anything with a connection like this.

Ping statistics for 216.58.198.164:
Packets: Sent = 109, Received = 99, Lost = 10 (9% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 10ms, Average = 8ms

Located in Hertfordshire

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Have you seen this thread at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/High-packet-loss-and-other-DNS-issues/m-p/1354749#U135... because you may be suffering from this issue? It is a major cause of ping lose which gets worse at peak hours.

If not, you may have another issue or fault which needs to be diagnosed.

First thing is to check for a phone fault (if Plusnet provide the phone start here https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ ) If you do have a phone voice fault, report it as such and do not mention any broadband issues. And then when that is fixed, see if the broadband is better.

Then if still not solved (or no phone fault is in evidence) start with the FTTC guides at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Fault-Guides/m-p/1156188#U1156188

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bzykubd
Hooked

Thank you for the response, but do you know maybe what is the reason in this topic? Because there are 57 pages am I supposed to go through all of them?

kescott

I have just transfered over to PlusNet, and my connection was made live on Monday.

I have to say that so far I am so frustrated with the services that I am provided with. We required a Static IP address for work, which is why we have transfered over from TalkTalk.

We had a stable 38MB connection for over 2 and a half years now whilst connected with TalkTalk. Now, we are barely able to sustain 5MB. I assumed this was because they were testing the profiles to get the right speed, howevever it is utter garbage.

The packet loss is also incredible on our end and we're down in Somerset! Not to mention that we are so far away from the 69MB line prediction.. that we were told we would be able to get prior to agreeing to a contact.

SpendLessTime
Hero

The reason is that some people on Plusnet's new network have ping issues. And really bad issues.

How do I know if I'm on the new network? 

If you do not have a static IP then took at the result at http://users.plus.net/@gateway/ and if it contains the letters "-IR" you are on the new network.

What can I solve it?

Well some people have had the problem fixed by Plusnet doing some secret work, but this issue has been going on since August. More work is planned over the next few weeks.

Some people solve it by buying a static IP from Plusnet for a one off cost of £5. This changes how the traffic is routed and sems to avoid the dodgy part of Plusnet's new network

Others post to the big thread to add their voices to the disquiet, others leave Plusnet.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

SpendLessTime and according to Bob Pullen ,, PN secret Fix is still 2 weeks away Cheesy
When they started on the New network i wanted to move over ,,, I AM GLAD i didnt
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
SpendLessTime
Hero

@rongtw

Glad I'm on a static IP (always have been too) and don't think my line has been moved yet.

(Wont be able to tell from gateway checker but as my broadband circuit ID hasn't changed, I'm going to say I'm still on the old network)

yyurchuk05
Dabbler

Nothing changed here. 10-20% of losses on the line. 

And do I understand correctly that the functional to raise a fault was taken down?

SpendLessTime
Hero

No log a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults 

but only after 5pm today as it is down for maintenance , see https://community.plus.net/t5/Service-Status/Fault-troubleshooter-maintenance-17th-Sep-00-00-17-00/m... 

kescott

Hello,

I have actually purchased a static IP address prior to even knowning that these issues exist. Foolish me for not reading forum posts prior to switching ISPs. My problem is that we actually required a static IP for work hence the move to Plusnet.

Even though I am on a static IP, I am still suffering from these awful ongoing problems.

PS

Which gateway

You are currently connected to gateway pcl-bng01.

This is located in City Lifeline House.

I have of course reported the fault and have been talking to PN on a daily basis.

Cheers

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I've been having dropouts recently as well. I first realised it when my security cameras drop out.

I have considered switching to Google or OpenDNS but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if that would be an answer.

Only been happening in the last few weeks.

Let's be careful out there !
John222
Dabbler

Hi,

Just to make you aware having a incorrect DNS server would not affect ping drops, it would only affect the ability to resolve an 'A' record which would provide an IP address.

Thee posts are extremely concerning when I'm considering moving to PN.