Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Performance Woes Hamper PlusNet Users as New Network Takes Blame

@ben01492 having the exact same problem currently having to use my mifi as internet has slowed to a crawl some pages are taking ages to load and then other times not loading at all with errors coming up instead.

bunbun
Hooked

From 3am onwards I couldn't load a single thing, programs wouldn't launch and wouldn't connect to the Internet, packet loss shot up to 45% and ever since I haven't been able to load anything Internet related
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Same for me, since 3am the internet has been unusable, i know there is maintenance that started at 1am lasting for up to 6hrs so hope it clears up soon.
cactusj1
Dabbler

The last 3 nights have been really bad for me... kept having to restart my router... which leads to things being ok for a while. Then it all goes down hill again. This morning, I couldn't even connect to Twitch.tv streams. Shocking.

ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

Horrendus service this morning. I can ping DNS and web addresses but strugling to browse any website. I have been scowering the web on my Phones 4G and came across this thread:

As a temporary workaround you can try flushing your dns via an elevated command

Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
Run the following command: ipconfig /flushdns.

Or as a more concrete fix, telnet onto your router: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/How-to-change-the-default-DNS-Servers-in-a-Thomson-Router/ba-p...

dns server config WANDownSpoofing = disabled
saveall
exit

Bob1
Rising Star

What is going on?

My speed this morning is awful - sites either don't load or take forever. This has been bad for a few weeks but now it's dreadful. I've tried disconnecting and re-connecting and I can see that Plusnet have re-provisioned me with BT from 80/20 to 55/10 and at some point appear to have transferred me to their new network as my gateway is now pcn-ir01. Anyone know whether ringing Plusnet and getting this logged as a fault is likely to make any difference?

nightstalk3r
Rising Star

This morning issues from the maintenance have now cleared up for me, everything back to full speed.

xocekim

@cactusj1 wrote:

The last 3 nights have been really bad for me... kept having to restart my router... which leads to things being ok for a while. Then it all goes down hill again. This morning, I couldn't even connect to Twitch.tv streams. Shocking.

I can definitely confirm trouble watching Twitch.tv streams the past week or so. An awful amount of buffering and videos just failing to load altogether.

As you said, rebooting the router and ensuring I get a new IP address tends to fix issues for me temporarily.

When we signed up to Plusnet a few years ago I couldn't of been happier but since approximately the start of this year I have been having all sorts of connectivity problems. I currently have 4 ping windows open showing varying amounts of packet loss to different parts of the world.

I understand there is maintenance today but these are not new problems I am experiencing.

I can see a few threads on here suggesting that upgrading £5/month for a static IP will revert you back to the old network and fixes a lot of problems (please correct if I am wrong). I am not paying extra for a quality of service I should already be receiving.

ListerofSmeg
Grafter

My internet light went from green to red earlier and now when I check what gateway I am on, I get:

Sorry, the tool failed to identify your gateway; this does not mean that anything is wrong with your connection.

Posting the following information as a reply to the Gateway Checker Issues topic in the Community forums will help us to diagnose the problem.

• core2-hu0-18-0-0.colindale.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.16) 4.024 ms

I have also noticed my IP has gone from 51 to 31.  What's this mean?

eatyourteeth
Grafter

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2016/09/plusnet_unusable_amidst_ongoing_network_upgrades/

5a86565c2707cee350248c47915d74cc-09-09-2016.png

Well, at least we've made our voices heard. +1 for the community.

Oh, and I'm getting 0.38-3.02 Mbps, compared to the usual 17 Mbps we normally get... that being normal for this issue, as we should really be getting 24 Mbps, which we haven't had since the packet loss issue. I'm at a loss for words.

dnpark38
Rising Star

I'm thank full I ran ok last night with PN adding interleaving and static IP.  But the statement of only a few subscribers bothers me

Think about only it a few subscribers will be in this forum and a very high number in the forum have this packet loss problem when put on the new network, to me this equates that the majority on the new network will have problems too.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
sebjo
Grafter

starting to get on my nerve

this is my connection status for days now  http://imgur.com/a/AYC1V 80+% of packet loss

i can barely play any online game when i'm off work ...

Flabula
Grafter

What the hell is going on? This has been dragging on for weeks now.

Is anyone from PN going to come on and admit that this problem even exists?

AvengerUK01
Rising Star

The fact that plusnet haven't put it on service status and ONLY admit to it when directly asked by the more technically minded users is disgusting customer service.

I'd bet that less technically minded people talking to support with problems caused by this are being given the run around. 

alchemiculte

I am so relieved to have stumbled across this thread!

Our fibre broadband has been unusable since 1/9/16 (Literally went from being fine on Wednesday evening to nothing on Thursday morning). I initially suspected that our connection had been knocked out at the exchange (as this happened to us earlier in the year when our landline connection was disconnected by a contractor).

I have been contacting them every day since it has been off. Until last night they wouldn't even acknowledge that there was any sort of problem - this was the first time that it was mentioned that we had been moved onto the 'new' network - though according to the support guy this was an issue that had only started to surface yesterday!! Reading this thread it is clear that this is not the case!!

Very seriously considering moving ISP as a result of this as the lack of communication and response on this has been atrocious.

@AvengerUK01 Think you are right on that one - it was only when I mentioned that I had done a ping test and tracert that the support guy mentioned this issue. I don't have a great deal of technical knowledge but there is no need to treat us all like idiots!