cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

Maxam
Grafter

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

It's 22:47 and I still can't watch Twitch, even streaming music is a buffering mess.
Carmo
Hooked

Time to look for a new ISP to switch too me thinks. The change to 50/10 already prompted me to start looking for one and all these problems now have just made it go over board. I actually did prefer the old 40/20 as both me and the other person that lives with me stream to Twitch.tv and the change to only having 8~Mbps upload speed has made us have to drop our bitrate considerably. And now with all the packet loss problems its just impossible to stream at all which is terrible for us.

Im going to give it until Monday myself and if these issues arent fixed I will be switching without a second thought as I am not under contract anymore.

Is it worth calling PN support directly and talking on the phone or will it just round in circles for nothing?

eatyourteeth
Grafter

@Carmo

I've personally been calling every other couple of days, just to be told the same shtick all over again. "We'll run some tests" -> "We can't find a problem" -> "We're looking into it". Lather, rinse, repeat.

Carmo
Hooked

@eatyourteeth

Well that is not great to hear at all. Think I will give them a call see what they say as well but i have not got high hopes at all

TheHorseman
Rising Star

I have just had the reply below from Plusnet:

I am sorry for the length of time the packet loss issue went on for.

I can see the connection is now stable with no drops in the last 72 hours and the speeds are running within the estimates on the line at 79.9mbps. This is the maximum speed you are able to achieve. There are no issues currently affecting your broadband service showing through our testing which is great to see.

Of course, it is not fixed, they have side-stepped the problem by giving me a static IP. Even this has not totally removed the packet loss as it is still there at peak times, though it is only around 1% and very sporadic. I did notice last night that I couldn't access twitch.tv at all, I'm not a subscriber but I could not even get to the front page.

Something is very wrong with this network and they do not seem to have a clue what is causing the packet loss even after 7-8 weeks. I agree with others in this thread that have said they are looking to move on, it is now time to consider my options I think. This problem has gone on far too long and there is still no resolution in sight.

Excalibre68
Rising Star

Re: Performance Woes Hamper PlusNet Users as New Network Takes Blame

I guess PlusNet's listening because today I checked my logs and was surprised to find I was disconnected late last night from BT's server and then reconnected to the PlusNet server. 

Results from ping test below:-

I just hope now my speed increases over the next few days (but won't be holding my breath) as many of you can clearly see PlusNet are not the same provider they used to be.

Another thing before I leave, does anyone find it strange why so many of us are getting speeds maxing out at 50mbs on an 80/20 connection just when BT and PlusNet have brought about a New 50mbs package.

Are we quietly being capped while they fix their problems to allow extra bandwidth for newer customers ?

Makes you wonder what underhand deals are going on behind closed doors.

Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 , Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz , 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3200Mhz
Corsair Dual Loop Liquid Cooling , 480Gb Samsung EVO 850 HDD , WD 2Tb Hybrid HDD
EVGA 980Ti Classified , Creative Recon 3D Sound , Corsair HX1200i PSU
Logitech Z5500 5.1 Sound System , Corsair Graphite 760T Case
mtwbath
Dabbler

I like many have had these problems since I signed up to a new contract in July and installed the new Hub One. To a large extent, but not totally, the have been resolved by a static IP.  I also eventually got a ticket issued ( after one person in Customer Services put the phone down on me) and have a response that says
 "Simply to this one the agents you spoke to didn't know about the issue unfolding on our forums, its possible a communication breakdown happened as these issues are usually communicated out to all front line support. We accept that this is completely unacceptable and we will be investigating this internally with the agents in question and those responsible for issuing said communications. As this is now an internal matter we cannot discuss any further the results of this outcome to yourself but be assured that improvements will be implemented to ensure this does not happen in future."   

So PN agree this is "totally unacceptable"!

It's not just PN have problems which they know about but what Customer Services do about it. They like to quote the contract terms but they provide a service under UK Law which is now governed by the Consumer Protection Regulations ( embedding much of the previous Sales of Goods ( and Services) act.
As such the need to provide the services they are contracted to do - and if they don't they are responsible to recompense customers. This covers the contract costs but also inconvenience and anxiety resulting from non-provision of the service ( it wont cover any direct financial loss). The answer is to get a ticket and complain asking for compensation and if they don't compensate - deadlock the complaint and go to the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) by contacting the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS). If they receive hundreds of complaints then if will have an affect. It's probably also worth considering consumer TV programs/websites and the national press. PN know they have a major problem - the question is how the deal with it and customers who aren't getting the service they paid for.  

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

PN must think Customers are mushrooms ,, kept always in the Dark Cheesy

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
dnpark38
Rising Star

PN have advised after my complaint about Packet Loss that they have added Interleaving to my line.

From lunch time Packet Loss as started as usual and it usually builds up over the afternoon to a large rise after 4pm.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
scottrc
Rising Star

Just wanted to post to say that over the last 2 weeks my speed has conveniently halved, and when I say halved I mean exactly half to what I was getting. It also only happens during peak times Cheesy

So I agree that they are capping people. They know exactly what is going on but don't want to admit to it because it will start a timeframe of when it needs to be fixed by. 

I actually opened a ticket about it and they must of uncapped me because as soon as the ticket was responded to, it was back to normal without any engineer visits.

Carmo
Hooked

I just got completely disconnected from the Internet, Router still saying there is Internet though. I guess that I am being changed network then? I just don't get this anymore, just want to be able to do the stuff I use to in peace...
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I just hope now my speed increases over the next few days (but won't be holding my breath) as many of you can clearly see PlusNet are not the same provider they used to be.

Your *sync* speed has changed, this is nothing at all to do with packet loss or other queries regarding the new network. This is the speed negotiated between your router and the cabinet, if that has dropped below your estimates it needs looking at as a fault.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
davenos
Rising Star

This is my connection as of 3 minutes ago(pingtest is 1 hour behind), 32%packet loss outside of peak hours, the service is getting worse and its getting to the point where its going to be packet loss all days.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/151562941.png

Excalibre68
Rising Star

Hi Chris,

It has been looked at as a fault and if you had read my other posts I had an engineer visit and he found nothing wrong which begs the question are the problems switching people over to the new network related as in my case.

Because of the switch I was constantly dropping connection also confirmed by a reply to a ticket I opened 4 weeks ago.

So posting silly reply's is another way of calling all of us useless idiots who don't know what we are talking about.

Yet again the hand of PlusNet Admin trying to blame it on something other than problems with their network.

By the way because of the multiply drops in connection due to the switch my sync speed dropped so I am correct in saying I hope my speed increases now it's more stable. Tongue

Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 , Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz , 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3200Mhz
Corsair Dual Loop Liquid Cooling , 480Gb Samsung EVO 850 HDD , WD 2Tb Hybrid HDD
EVGA 980Ti Classified , Creative Recon 3D Sound , Corsair HX1200i PSU
Logitech Z5500 5.1 Sound System , Corsair Graphite 760T Case
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

So my PPP just bounced & now I'm getting high packet loss even on a static IP?