Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

@davenos, any of those devices wired?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

davenos
Rising Star

Every device(1 Laptop, 1 PC and my Xbox One and only one in use at a time) i use in my home is wired the only exception is my phone and that is rarely connected, the bufferbloat has just hit a high of 21623ms according to the test on www.dslreports.com, as soon as i switch over to my BT line the bufferbloat disappears and streaming works flawlessly as does all other tasks.

Edit, I should add i've tried both the Plusnet supplied router/Openreach modem combo as well as my BT Home Hub 5 and it makes no difference, come 4pm the connection is useless for anything other than basic browsing, i have also had all the Ethernet cables replaced just incase.

Further edit, this is what the dslreport test is showing me as of a few minutes ago(the upload test fails as it reports a drop to 0 and staying there error.)Ever since it hit 4pm i also get the "browser too slow to show crawl graph" message.BufferBloat.jpg

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

I am also having problems loading www.Britishgas.co.uk and www.tsb.co.uk its been only these 2 sites for about 2 weeks now.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@St3 wrote:

I am also having problems loading www.Britishgas.co.uk and www.tsb.co.uk its been only these 2 sites for about 2 weeks now.

That's a separate problem I believe. We've an internal incident raised to investigate (ref: 94818). Seems to affect sites affiliated with Lloyds banking.

What happens when you try accessing the sites in question? Does it just time out? Do you have any more luck when using Google's DNS servers rather than ours? (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

@davenos, any objection to me removing your static IP address to see if it has any impact? (although I fail to see why it would).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

davenos
Rising Star

@bobpullen I've no objection to that, in fact i have no objection to any test or action being taken to try and resolve the issue(providing they don't move me over to the 40/2 package).

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

OK, that's been sorted now (the removal of the static IP, not moving you to a 40/2 package Wink ). Be interesting to see if there's any noticeable difference later this afternoon/evening.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@Chris @bobpullen well it's back AGAIN!

7c9565c9b72159b50d02c30df6dd3fe2-12-10-2016

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not seeing it on anyone else's ICMP monitors, and I'd be surprised if what you're seeing there is a continuation of the earlier problems. Not when there's low level loss at 4am in the morning when the network's quiet as a mouse!

Seems to coincide with a PPP disconnect/reconnect last night that bumped you from pcl-bng01 to ptw-bng01. Perhaps try another disconnect/reconnect? If the problem clears, then we can look at whether or not there are any issues with the ptw endpoint.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

davenos
Rising Star

@bobpullen SInce the static IP was removed the bufferbloat on download has pretty much gone and on upload its vastly reduced(just 10-20ms now), i will test again during peak hours and see what teh results are but so far its looking promising..

chenks76
All Star

@bobpullen wrote:

Not seeing it on anyone else's ICMP monitors, and I'd be surprised if what you're seeing there is a continuation of the earlier problems. Not when there's low level loss at 4am in the morning when the network's quiet as a mouse!

Seems to coincide with a PPP disconnect/reconnect last night that bumped you from pcl-bng01 to ptw-bng01. Perhaps try another disconnect/reconnect? If the problem clears, then we can look at whether or not there are any issues with the ptw endpoint.

i'd question why every time a PPP disconnect that isn't triggered by me happens this is the end result.
and with regards to everyone elses ICMP monitor, that's is irrelevant to me as it is ME that is seeing on MY connection.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@chenks76 wrote:

i'd question why every time a PPP disconnect that isn't triggered by me happens this is the end result.

To be completely honest, I have no idea. There may be an issue with one of our endpoints but a quick scan of things at this side hasn't uncovered anything untoward Huh

... and with regards to everyone elses ICMP monitor, that's is irrelevant to me as it is ME that is seeing on MY connection.

I understand that, but it does suggest that what you're seeing isn't a widespread issue, and this thread is largely about widespread packet loss problems that we now think are resolved. It may be that you have an issue specific to your circuit but there's not a great deal to go on at present.

I accept that you may have a problem somewhere, but I'm also keen to get this thread closed rather than keep it alive with single user/unrelated issues. Might be worth starting a separate thread if the issue persists?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

chenks76
All Star

@bobpullen why don't you raise a ticket on my account and have it investigated?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Again, in the name of honesty, because I probably wouldn't have the time to oversee it and give it the time it deserves Sad

Whilst I do my best to show my face round these parts, it's mainly in my free/spare time.

Feel free to raise a fault via the usual channels, and I'll try and keep an eye on it. Having said that, did the disconnect/reconnect help?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

chenks76
All Star

well that just sums up the whole plusnet support experience.
and for the record, i did raise a ticket when i initially had this problem first occur. the ticket was opened and then closed immediately as i was bundled in along with everyone else that was having the problem (suspiciously i can now find no record of that ticket when i look in the member centre).

and i haven't disconnected and reconnected as doing so would hide the fault.
it would be pointless raising a ticket after the event.

but i will now say just don't bother doing anything.
i will be on to another ISP in the morning and migrating my services to them.
plusnet have had their chance and that's it.
mtwbath
Dabbler

I really don't think this is resolved - I have had these problems since end of July - and streaming TV is impossible with drop outs every 10 minutes - late afternoon and evening . Monitoring the connection still shows traces like all the others on here  -  series of large packet loss at times, latency often well over 100 ms and periods when peaks as several hundreds of ms, jitter consistently over 30 ms sometimes near 100ms.  My complaint is ticketed and now into its 7th week but no response to my last update on Monday showing how shocking the service was. 

PlusNet are in denial and until the full facts go to the regulatory bodies  they will continue to fob customers off  - just complain to OFCOM, Arbitration service , fill in reviews truthfully at sites such as broadband UK, trustpilot. .....

Only when the facts are out there and they lose customers, be forced to compensate us for loss of service will they actually do something.....