cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

KS25
Grafter

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

@scottrc  you sure you have a static IP? go to member centre, then connection settings from the left menu, if you see an icon labeled static IP then you do... you can remove a static IP by going to the add-ons page, the button for this will be right above the icons

personally i wouldn't remove it if you experienced lots of lag and stuff with games, i had one added to my account to work around that problem, and it has worked since... but it's up to you

Paul_Corfield
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@KS25  The static IP icon can still be in the member centre even if you are on a dynamic IP. I was put onto a static IP when the packet loss problems were bad a few weeks back and then I was put back onto my regular dynamic IP. The static IP icon is still in my member centre connection settings but when I click on it then it says I'm on a dynamic IP.

KS25
Grafter

@Paul_Corfield  sorry for the slight misinformation then, it's the first time i've had a static IP Cheesy the way to tell would be to check add-ons and see if you can remove it then?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@scottrc,I've removed your static IP. Your connection should drop shortly, when it comes back up you should have a dynamic IP again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

scottrc
Rising Star

Thanks guys Smiley

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@St3 wrote:

Plusnet should be keeping us all upto date via this post, plusnet was very much involved with this post at the begining, now they seam to have disappeared.

Whilst there's some tidying up of lose ends/restoring of default config to do, pretty much everything looks clean from our side now. If people are continuing to experience problems, then I would suggest starting a new thread so that your issue can be looked at separately.

There's little pointing to a widespread issue, so assuming this thread remains relatively quiet over the next week or so then I'm going to suggest the mods lock it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Lets hope things get better again Smiley 

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

So far so good for me, on 60meg fibre and no problems gaming or streaming.

When you to pings to traceroutes try to not use 8.8.8.8 ....... they ratelimit ICMPs to protect the DNS service, as do some of thoe hops in BTs network, doesn't mean its got a problem just means it doesn't like lots of pings being sent to it.

shevek
Grafter

Another "blip" around midnight?

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet static

Bob1
Rising Star

Same here. Looks fine now.

2016-10-08_08.53_Broadband Quality Monitor.jpg

MrSilver
Pro

To be honest from what PLusnet have describes as the problem and this this is likely to be totally unrelated.

At 11.45 for 30-45 mins you both had increased latency and small packetloss for different durations.

Causes of this could be iphone/android update (mine got one last night) during the download your line could be filling up and the router dropping some packets to prioritise other traffic. Could be line is full and some ICMP messages are dropped from tbb, it could be routine maintenance somewhere in the BT network where they are moving traffic around and there is a blip etc. I think had it been a re-occurrence of the plusnet issues they wouldnt have reacted at that time of night and fixed within 30 minutes and so the outage would have been much longer.

To see the impact on tbb graphs when using your connection try doing a big download to fill your link, downloading a linux iso is usually good as its a few gig big. You latency spikes on icmp will go up and if the link is full it will show packetloss. This is not a bad thing, your line is full of what you have requested it to do, and in addition to that  extra traffic some of which gets dropped, which is how the internet works.

The best way to measure packetloss is not tbb, its a good indicator but its easy to jump to conclusions, but to use something like wireshark and look for packetloss of packets your computer was expecting.

Same example is when people ping 8.8.8.8 to measure packetloss, pointless as google rate limit icmp and drop pings to protect the dns service so packetloss on 8.8.8.8 is to be expected at certain times etc.

Real question is who was using their service at midnight and things stopped working like streaming/gaming etc?

Bob1
Rising Star

Apart from yesterday's flapping route fault which was quickly 'mitigated', the only problem I have experienced in the last 3 weeks (since I went on the static IP) is that every couple of days, the connection drops for about a minute. This might repeat a few minutes later. Sometimes the yellow exclamation mark comes up on the taskbar and sometimes not. I don't think the PPP session is dropping but I'm not sure. I might be able to work this out if I put the openreach modem back in the circuit and then the router may give the PPP session time rather than the sync time (sync is rock solid). There doesn't seem much point speculating on what might have happened overnight. As two of us experienced identical symptoms, it must have been due to something on the network. For all I know PN might have been carrying out permanent repairs after the fault in the morning. I haven't had any packet loss problems in the last 3 weeks (other than yesterday's fault) and I certainly know what they look like as I had enough of them in the weeks before!

MrSilver
Pro

@Bob1 wrote:
I don't think the PPP session is dropping but I'm not sure. 

If you have a hub 1, go into advanced settings, then broadband it will tell you your connection time, that is your ppp session.

if you then click on the connection link you will get sync time (and speed), so if you want to knotick the OR modem back in you can.

Bob1
Rising Star

I'm using a Technicolor tg589vac at the moment as it lets me use the TBB connection monitor continuously without leaving something in the DMZ and also lets me set Google DNS on the router. I could put the bt homehub 5 (similar to pn hub one) back in but then I would have to reset the wireless links. I want to log the dropouts properly for a week or so before I start changing things. The first one today was at 13.20. They don't show on the TBB connection monitor though so the pings are getting through.

btsimonh
Hooked

@bobpullen - would this 'flapping route' have caused the pppoe connection to drop, or just lost packets in the 'normal' ip domain but no connection drops?

I am static ip, fttc in suffolk.

Just to add, since around 09:50 friday, my connection no longer drops (2 days uptime so far).  Would be nice to understand if the resolution was changing the power block on the openreach modem or if it was the routing issue.