Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

Will plusnet be updating us on the outcome of the packet loss, a fair few people who were suffering from packet loss,ruberbanding,high ping,lag were giving static ips. 

If the packet loss is fixed does this mean people will no longer need to be on static ip ? Are shared ips now packet loss free ? 

And for those already on a static ip ... do we get to keep them for free Tongue 

Any news/detail on what the problems were and what plusnet did to fix it ?

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

the static IP i think was a red herring.
as i have always had a static IP and i was affected by it too.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@St3 wrote:

Will plusnet be updating us on the outcome of the packet loss

In regards to an update, there's not much I can say further to the Tweet that @SpendLessTime posted earlier.

@St3 wrote:

And for those already on a static ip ... do we get to keep them for free Tongue 

People that were given a static IP for free in connection to this will likely have them removed at some point and reverted back to a dynamic IP.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Ive heard some people saying static ip is much better for gaming @HarryB is this true fact ?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It shouldn't make a difference.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TAZZ69
Dabbler

Just had to reset the connection so new live TBB quality graph

acemathias
Dabbler

Recently had fibre installed in my new property. Experiencing some small packet loss. Here's the graph:
Thinkbroadband graph

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That is a very small amount of packet loss, is it causing any issues? Honestly I don't believe that is caused by the issues previously discussed in this thread and could easily be caused by a large number of things.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
acemathias
Dabbler

Agree that it is small and might not be linked to the issues in the post, but thought would post just in case. Thanks for taking a quick look.

In terms of it causing issues, browsing, streaming and basic online gaming all seem ok (apart from Tuesday evening where speeds mysteriously fell to 5bmps, but have since reverted).

I haven't played any FPS online gaming which is where i would expect any issues would be most apparent. Will create new post after testing at the weekend if i experience problems.

kregler
Hooked

Think I suffering from the same issues here. Left Sky at the end of August and never had any problems (sites not loading, tweets not sending etc). Have changed DNS settings to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 but it's still awful!

davenos
Rising Star

I thought (well hoped)that the lack of posts in this thread over the last week meant that the issues where fixed and clearly they haven't.

Today im back to constant buffering on Youtube unless i switch the quality down to 144p, any higher and its a buffering stuttering mess(1080p i get a couple of seconds before minutes of buffering).

So since the 20th July i have not had the full service i am paying for, this is not acceptable in any way and at no point have i even been offered a small reduction in costs and when i did ask via the support ticket and live chat my question was ignored.

Plusnet your customer service is abysmal and your "support" is almost as bad.

ghos7
Grafter

how long does it take to fix? i do alot of gaming and tonight was unplayable.
Vini

double post 

Vini

Ahhhh, I thought I was going mad. I even replaced my Billion 8800AXL router with a shiny new Draytek 2860ac, and whilst my wifi has drastically improved, I still get a very variable internet connection regardless of which DNS servers I use.

Random drop outs, buffering videos (YouTube, SkyGo) and today it seems like I'm getting a really poor throughput on HTTPS downloads which is a new low.

Typically, speed test results look perfect.

mtwbath
Dabbler

I  still have these problems - I have been complaining to PlusNet consistently over the past 6 weeks and while they admit there were widespread faults (I have this in writing) there are still trying pretend everything is Ok and get rid of me complaining ( Iplayer drops/crashes every 10 mins) . This all need to be referred to Arbitration and/or the Ombudsman - I shall go on complaining and suggest everyone else does until the 8 week period is up and then take it to them. Once a ruling is made there ( if successful) PlusNet will be open to widespread customer compensation and releasing people from contracts free of charge.