Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

@chenks76 The problem we were seeing affected both ADSL and FTTC however following the work we did yesterday morning we are hopeful the problem has gone away so I would assume that if you are seeing any issues then it is unrelated the packet loss problem described in this thread.

@puglord1973 Yeah the work on this is complete, while we are keeping a very close eye on things we aren’t seeing any further packet loss.

@shevek I often see this as well so it’s not impossible. There’s two main reasons for this, the first is that if you max out your downstream with a download then anything else coming down could be fighting out alongside it. While I’m traffic management system is designed to prioritise some traffic over others (for example both gaming and ping get the highest priority) if they are equal (which can sometimes happen with a game download) then you could see increased latency and loss. The second is that your upload speed is also maxed out, this often happens with P2P but can also happen with other downloads depending on your upload speed. A 40Mbps download can easily be sending 0.5Mbps of upload ack packets so doesn’t take a huge amount more to max out the upload.

Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
legume
Rising Star

@chenks76 wrote:
well i'm only on ADSL (around 13Mbps), but trying to work out if this problem affects us ADSL users too.
mostly streaming radio from iplayer all day.
i was moved over the new network a while ago (and i have a static IP).

Seems bad for just streaming radio.

As it's a new TBB monitor you've yet to see what it's like overnight. Even what is being pinged could make a difference if it's rubbish at answering quickly. If the graph looks like that always maybe start doing -

ping -n 100 8.8.8.8 multiple times from a wired PC to see if the results are as bad as the graph.

shevek
Grafter

@dave wrote:

@shevek I often see this as well so it’s not impossible. There’s two main reasons for this, the first is that if you max out your downstream with a download then anything else coming down could be fighting out alongside it. While I’m traffic management system is designed to prioritise some traffic over others (for example both gaming and ping get the highest priority) if they are equal (which can sometimes happen with a game download) then you could see increased latency and loss. The second is that your upload speed is also maxed out, this often happens with P2P but can also happen with other downloads depending on your upload speed. A 40Mbps download can easily be sending 0.5Mbps of upload ack packets so doesn’t take a huge amount more to max out the upload.

I get 32 down and 1.8 up - I'm limited to 2 up as per the package, my line actually supports ~7.5 up. I was a bit miffed when I realised this, after the 14 day cool off. My own fault for not reading it properly Sad

Bob1
Rising Star

@dave

Live link for static ip (ptw-bng01) in case it is any use. 3 packet loss spikes today (Sat). These are the first I've seen since the one at 05.30 Fri when you completed the work you referred to.

My Broadband Ping - Bob1 (Static IP)

Sat 24th

sat-24-09-2016.png

puglord1973
Grafter

Oh how things can change......just tried a gaming session and was plagued with lag/rubberbanding.

My Broadband Ping - PugLord1973

Any back is the packet drops.......grrrrrrr

Ping_160924-30mins-1.jpg

Paul_Corfield
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

No packet loss yesterday but packet loss all day today since the work was done.

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet

Paul_Corfield
Rising Star

@dave How can you say no packet loss today when I've had it all day since the work was done. Not had this all week but getting it all day today! Will reboot router in the morning for a new IP address and see what happens.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

@dave  I don't know why it keeps happening every few days, but live graph posted on Friday seems to have stopped updating at midnight again.

New live graph

My Broadband Ping - 209.93.221. fttc Col.

On Friday and Saturday, there seems to be a noticeable increase in latency spikes following Friday morning's maintenance. It doesn't affect how we use our internet connection (mainly streaming video) though.  ie. The live graph previously looked a lot quieter with upstream going via Southbank.

Here is an example from the 17th

pn1.jpg

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
stonetostone
Dabbler

looks like plusnet as some work still to do.

here's my graph's from today.

jonsono87

Not only that but even after the work had been done my latency around 8 30 - 11 was badly spiking. My speed drop was the same as before as well. From 49 mbps to 8mbps. Every evening it does this without fail. No idea why I'm paying for this service, can't play games, download speed doesn't go anywhere it's intended speed during peak. Worthless company. Had an online chat with a customer service rep, 80-90 ping is acceptable on a tracert to play games with it spiking all over the place. How do I get out of this contract?
watercooled
Grafter

[-Censored-]ed off with this. I only signed up 4 weeks ago and it's been [-Censored-] from day one.

No.way should I have to pay for this.
I want out.
jwledwith
Dabbler

My service has improved greatly in terms of the connection / packet loss (not perfect but finally usable after my initial support ticket from 31st July). I now intend to write to:

Customer Relations
Plusnet PLC
The Balance
2 Pinfold Street
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
S1 2GU

I will be asking what will be done to compensate me for nearly 20+ days of unusable internet (stuttering video and unplayable games).

Paul_Corfield
Rising Star

Rebooted my router this morning to get to get onto a different dynamic IP number after yesterdays continuous packet loss. Dropped a few packets at first but seems to be clear since just after 9am. My new live graph.

My Broadband Ping - Paul Corfield Plusnet

MUFFiN
Grafter

I had an engineer out with me on Friday to check my issues. He was able to find two issues outside of my home which he fixed for me.

Using his own equipment he was able to achieve downstream & upstream speeds of what I used to get before all these issues began, however using my home PC (wired) and other devices (wireless) we still were not able to recreate the speeds he got with his own equipment.

My downstream speeds now are slightly better than they were before he fixed the faults outside, I can now get around 27/28mbps as before it was around 23/24mbps. Its still not what I had previously though.

Looking at my router he noticed a light that was flashing green which he said should stay solid green, he then said I should talk with PN about getting a new router. As soon as the engineer left I went straight on to live chat and spoke with a guy, which seemed very pleasant & helpful. He was very apologetic for the issues that I had & helped me get a new router ordered which I hope will get me back to normal speeds when it arrives this week.

The packet loss issue seems to have mostly been resolved for me. Doing ping tests, I seemed to get good results & I no longer seem to get lag or rubber banding whilst gaming. Streaming also seems a lot smoother than previous weeks.

I have a couple of questions about TBB graphs using Hub zeros or Hub ones via DMZ.

1. Because you are relying on a wireless connection to do the pings will it show packet loss as a false positive so to speak? Can this show more packet loss than you are actually getting?

2. What is acceptable in regards to the yellow latency spikes? Do they become high whilst internet is being used alot at home and can this also be higher because its connected wirelessly via DMZ?
Paul_Corfield
Rising Star

@MUFFiN

It doesn't have to be a wireless device in the DMZ. My TBB graph is from my Playstation 4 which is connected via an ethernet cable into my Hub Zero. I've managed to do a graph from my youview box which is connected via powerline adapters which go via ethernet too. I don't get as good a plot from the youview box so I guess what you put in the DMZ can affect the outcome of the plot. Not sure about the yellow spikes, someone with a bit more knowledge will hopefully answer that one.