cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

dnpark38
Rising Star

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

Well folks just like to tell you in a few days it will be bye bye to Plusnet and I would like to thank you all for the good times here in the forum.

I'm out of contract and only offered a modest reduction in price conditional on a new 24 month contract which I could not accept such a long one in view of what is happening here in this forum thread.

Special thanks to Bob Pullen the good guy of Plusnet.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Im limited to 5 meg this morning, so im assuming bt is working on stuff... hoping it goes back to 64, where are you moving to @dnpark38

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

without having to read thru 73 pages, does this problem only affect FTTC or does this also include ADSL?
i have a static IP and on the new network and just trying to work out if something that is happening is due to this or not.
dnpark38
Rising Star

@St3

... where are you moving to @dnpark38

Well after a lot of thought and searching I ended up on Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert website and his info. on broadband/phone where I found his deal with Sky at half price for 12 months with £50 cash back.

I have unlimited fibre broadband, line and anytime phone, new hub and activation the lot for £280.35 = £23.36 month.  ( My PN is £40 a month.)

It's a special deal done by Martin Lewis.

I guess PN give new customers good deals but longer contracts but to new customers but when the contract up like mine nothing doing, think it was about £35/36 they offered but with 24 month contract then added I could have a new router.

I might well have accepted if on a month by month but I not wanted to be tied in with present situations.

So I'm "Believing for better"

Do hope the rest of you in contract get sorted out and quick.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Chenks76 , we can only guess as Plusnet have decided not to POST .

Ste, so we can presume that Fridays network Repairs have still not fixed Plusnets woes 😕
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
chenks76
All Star

is there a way to tell if the problem is there?
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

@dnpark38 Im also out of contract and paying around £45 a month with same package as you, im going to hold out abit and see if things improve, as much as its a nightmare at times there has to be something good come from it... we hope Smiley

puglord1973
Grafter

This morning all looks alot better at my end......just had an hour online gaming and no lag/rubberbanding at all.

TBB graph is nice and clean.......so Plusnet, can you confirm if all the work is now complete?

My Broadband Ping - STATIC IP 2

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@chenks76

The most common way is to use the TBB Quality Monitor and check the graph output for red lines showing packet loss. Of course, you need a router which allows pings (so not a Plusnet Hub One or Zero) or you set up a DMZ to a device on your network like a TV stick which normally responds to pings.

Another way is to use some ping plotting software on a PC which allows you yo ping say google.co.uk and plot the results. As the PC is doing the pinging, the router will not block the return.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
shevek
Grafter

If I am making a large download (49gb game from Windows 10 store) should I expect to see packet loss or is this a symptom of the current issues?

You can see from my graph that latency is off the chart and there is quite a lot of packet loss as well. The block from 7.45am to 11.45am is when I was downloading.

27566196311dee1151ef515d4dd2ec73-24-09-2016

Wakuiy

@shevek - Don't hold me to this, but I believe that you should expect no packet loss, independent of what you are doing. That is assuming you're on a wired connection. It may also be at the fault of the download server, so there's that.

I can't really tell what the graphs are showing as I'm on mobile currently. As for me, last night seemed to be quite good, with very minor packet loss (< 0.1%, which is acceptable and likely my setup) much better than spikes of over 50%...

I have yet to get on today, so we'll see.
Paul_Corfield
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Started a new graph as my dynamic IP changed this morning.

Noticing some packet loss already. Sad

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet

shevek
Grafter

@Wakuiy it is wired over gigabit ethernet. The TBB monitor is talking directly to the router - I have TP-Link which has ping enabled on it.

Bob1
Rising Star

@shevek

shevek wrote:

If I am making a large download (49gb game from Windows 10 store) should I expect to see packet loss or is this a symptom of the current issues?

If you are on a static IP that looks a bit grim to me. This is what my static ip is giving me now:

2016-09-24_13.41_Broadband Quality Monitor.jpg

I've just downloaded 1GB from googledrive and it came down maxing out my connection and barely impacting the TBB monitor:

2016-09-24_13.33_NetWorx (All Connections).jpg

My latency spikes are a bit better today than the last few days (yesterday as shown is typical) but I've got  occasional packet loss spikes today. I haven't had any of those since an isolated one at about 5.30am yesterday.

It would be nice if they updated us with what was going on, wouldn't it?

shevek
Grafter

@Bob1 you can see from my chart that I had exactly the same spike at ~5.30

I am on a static IP going out from Telehouse West

So it looks like there is still a problem for me with the latency spikes. 

However, we are not noticing any particular issues any more. Since the switch to static the packet loss has greatly improved and my boy has hardly complained about his Xbox - even when I was downloading the game this morning.