cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

TheHorseman
Rising Star

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

@dave, Yes I had a couple of spikes of packet loss overnight but they were very small, It is the burst of packet loss at 8am for about 3/4 of an hour that I am curious about.

oscarthecat
Dabbler

@TheHorseman

Exactly the same here.  Router lost PPP session and reconnected.  Packet loss upwards of 50% for 45 minutes between 08:00 and 08:45.

puglord1973
Grafter

Yesterday I was moved to a static ip.......was there work done on that network at 2am? My Broadband Ping - STATIC IP

nightstalk3r
Rising Star

I also had a big burst of packet loss between 8 and 9am this morning.

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Thanks guys, misread that 8am as just before 6am. Need more sleep Smiley

We're looking into it, is there anyone that saw the 8am packet loss that isn't on a static IP?

Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

@puglord1973 yeah the changes we were doing overnight would apply to both static IPs and dynamics.

Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
TAZZ69
Dabbler

Thought i'd throw my hat into the discussion having read the first 23 pages lol. Think I was moved over to the new network on the 9th with the 55/10 speed and have noticed some disconnections on games etc. Should have kept a closer eye on the situation but seems to be running ok this afternoon will see what tonight brings have noticed very poor results on the TBB speed tests on the x1

attached my BQM from last night but on a dynamic ip so not sure how long it will stick but have changed the router to not drop the connection so will see.

result from the friday 9th about 11 which was typical of that time.

Tues 20th about 1945 hrs

Thurs 21st 1645 hrs

has been fine today. Router a TP-Link TD-W9970 reports I should get 61788 down and 23000 up

today I'm getting

Last night playing with ping plotter and have attached 2 graphs I did, the bbc one was very poor. Most of the packets being lost at 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk

Hope this helps sort the problems, will see what tonight brings now I am paying more attention to what is going and having found ping plotter via this thead

edit: link to live BQM graph

davenos
Rising Star

It is about time that Plusnet came out and just admitted the current issues are down to their implimentation of traffic management, my connection is fine right up till 4pm and then the ping and jitter sky rocket.

This is something that used to happen on my old NTL fibre connection(and currently happens on the Virgin Media network at peak times),my ping and jitter today at 15:55 was 22ms and 2 ms respectively and now we've hit 4pm its sitting at 150ms and 120ms respectively, this was tested using the Milton Keynes server on pingtest(other servers where far worse).

The packet loss is still zero but that is only because im on a static IP.

puglord1973
Grafter

Well i thought i had a static ip but its just changed. My Broadband Ping - STATIC IP Still on the 46. ip network so maybe we are being moved back to the old network until the issue is fixed?
Tench
Grafter

The Register has just torn them a new one: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/23/plusnet_packet_woes_outage

Won't be long before the Newspapers wade in. Lets see how your MBORC stands up to closer scrutiny Plusnet.

TheHorseman
Rising Star

Tench wrote:

Lets see how your MBORC stands up to closer scrutiny Plusnet.

You do know that the MBORC declaration is made by Openreach and not Plusnet?

kmm1013
Grafter

I don't know if this of any use, or any relevance at all really, but a quick note of how my internet went back to usable from poor...

2 weeks ago, my internet was awful. I purchased a static IP a few days ago, and everything sprang back to life...and had been working well since...however...

Yesterday, Windows 10 installed a (big) update. The Anniversary update (I believe it's called)...Since that update, my internet has again been woeful! It appeared similar to the Plusnet's problems that I had, pre-static IP were back...however, I noticed that my connection using my iPad still seemed to be working well.

So, I got to thinking that maybe it was my PC that was the problem...so I rolled back from the Anniversary update to the previous build (v 1511 I think), and suddenly, my internet (with static IP) was working really well again...No packet loss, good ping and speed...

So, I know that Plusnet are still having some issues, but my recent internet problem (as of yesterday) seems to have been down to the Windows update that installed...

How long I can stave off Windows forcing the update (I have disable automatic updates now) I don't know, but right now, v 1511 seems to be very stable, and my Plusnet connection (with Static IP) is good...

Just thought I would put this out there... 

Paul_Corfield
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Been fine for me tonight, no packet loss at all. The two red spikes are just where my PS4 was brought out of standby and for some reason it causes a red spike. TBB is pinging the PS4 through the Plusnet router in DMZ.

Every night this week I was getting packet loss from around 5pm till midnight, only a tiny amount, like a continuous row of red spikes in the 1% range. After last nights maintenance it seems to be ok. I'm on a dynamic IP.

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet

breggles
Hooked

So playing CS:GO last night I didn't have any packet loss. Thanks to Plusnet for sorting it out, and let's hope it stays like that. Why did it take two weeks, though, and why do I always have to get angry before stuff happens? And why is it so hard to get any support?

TAZZ69
Dabbler

As is typical make my comments I have a problem then they fix in in the next 2 days my bqm graph