cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

xedx
Hooked

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

Stockholm Syndrome is in effect. The problem seems to be caused by Plusnet's migration to the new network. Now that they have left us without service people are thanking the company's representatives for their efforts ...

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@xedx wrote:

a) What do you call this current calamity if not "widespread disruption"?!

It is far from ideal, don't get me wrong. But we'd be daft not to consider potential risk to service that could leave customers without a connection at all.

b) Nice to see that after seemingly taking no caution whatsoever which caused issues for large numbers of customers, you now "need to be cautious" leaving large numbers with unusable internet for lengthy spells.

If you're talking about the migration to the new network, then I'd have to disagree with you. We've been very cautious. Contrary to what people might think, we've been moving customers across to our new network since last year and there's been very little in the way of problems for months.

As a possible solution he put me on a temporary static IP as some people had found that to work but now a day later I have the same 40% packet loss, very high ping and 0mb upload ... meaning web pages are taking 30 secs if lucky to load, can't sign in to xbox live etc. etc. Now your saying this might be the case for 2 more weeks?

That sounds far worse compared to what I'd expect, are you using your connection for anything else when this happens? Nothing should be causing upload tests to fail, nor an inability to log into XBox Live. Whilst the packet loss we were observing over recent weeks did reach 40% on some customers' ICMP monitors, it's now much better and no where near that level. The evidence we've seen so far also suggests most of the ongoing issues are at Colindale and you're routed through Southbank. It could be there's more than one issue at play here, so it will be interesting to see if your problems are resolved with the upcoming work we have planned.

Sorry you're having such a poor experience at the moment.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

yyurchuk05
Dabbler

The evidence we've seen so far also suggests most of the ongoing issues are at Colindale and you're routed through Southbank.

Hi there!

I am in W2. Have 20-40% packets loss right now and during the evenings, for about a week now. All the usual steps have been taken to no avail.

Am I in the "zone" where you are aware that there are problems? What your advice would be?

Bob1
Rising Star

@yyurchuk05 wrote:

Am I in the "zone" where you are aware that there are problems?

Click

http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway

yyurchuk05
Dabbler

Colindale I am, it seems...  (pcn-ir01)

xedx
Hooked

1. I've was without a connection last friday and have been using a barely functional connection since tuesady.

2. "we've been moving customers across to our new network since last year and there's been very little in the way of problems for months." the nearly 900 posts on this topic alone shows that's not the case. Look at the 'Fibre Broadband' support page and virtually every topic seems to be along similar lines.

3. I'm not going to go back over the 60+ pages of this topic but many people are having the upload test fail on speedtest.net  My xbox one diagnostic shows roughly normal download speeds, 40% packet loss and 0mb upload. speedtest shows above/normal download speeds and fails on the upload test. My connection is usually used for a PC, a netbook, an xbox one, a PS3 and a kindle fire ... it's currently unable to log in to xbox, unable to log in to ps network and the pc and netbook are taking at or above 30 secs to load any web page aka virtually unusable. My dial up 20 years was faster.

PS I'm in Oxford with massive connection issues. My sister who lives 3 miles away (also on Plusnet) only has erratic download speed ... hopefully that should help.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Glad to see you here on a weekend Helping Thumbs_Up
Although this has not affected my connection , but as a concerned customer i must ask why PN has decided not to post any updates on the forum Service Status ?
In my view if there was information there this thread would have not grown so large , so simple to post Ok we have a problem,  this is what steps we are taking to resolve the issue , No doubt a lot of of posts here are not related but this thread has created a lot of misinformation .
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
simon-c
Hooked

I'm also in Oxford (Headington) and having the exact same issues

Reasonable download but erratic, zero upload and psn etc unable to log in

Going on now since Sunday, no time estimate of when it will be fixed despite multiple chats, calls, pm's

Its sad as historically plusnet have provided a pretty good service, judging from the recent problems the wheels may have come off.

Unless something happens in the very very near future, I'm off and closing both my accounts. Luckily currently tethered to a voda 4G phone which is rock solid, probably heading to voda if things continue like this

eatyourteeth
Grafter

WHY.png

*slams head into table*

And I thought I was free from the issue. The graphs may not it for some reason, but I'm getting it again. When my game of counter strike started teleporting me around, I started having flashbacks. I've tested Ethernet to the router just in case. Nope. You haven't gotten rid of me yet it seems. It's really intermittent this time, on/off every few minutes.

Also could anyone actually on Vodafone's new line-free broadband, could you please tell me how you are getting on? I'm having hassle sorting out costs to join them, not the greatest start, but anything from this.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@simon-c, @xedx - Interesting that you're in the same locality. Also worth noting is the fact that you're routing over the L2TP network/BNG gateways, whereas @yyurchuk05 is routing through the IR's.

I'm not in the office until Monday but I think it's worth us checking your lines for any other commonalities, because the symptoms you're reporting are slightly different in nature to what we've seen up until now.

What routers do you all have? I'm wondering whether or not you'd be able to set up a ThinkBroadband monitor to see if that shows us anything?

If you run an extended ping to an external website from your machine, do you see timeouts? From a command line, leave this running for about 15 minutes. Feel free to replace BBC with a site/service you know you're having problems with (as long as it responds to pings):

>ping -t bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.22] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.244.22: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=53
Reply from 212.58.244.22: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=53

After a while, hold Control and C to stop it and see if the stats report any loss.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

simon-c
Hooked

Thanks for looking at this Bob

Nothing seen on the monitor, blank screen

I should add the dal light went out over the weekend on the open reach fibre modem and came on 24hrs later, since then its been v problematic

Its the standard plus net router 2704n I think

below is from the Mac terminal, last few lines

Request timeout for icmp_seq 286
Request timeout for icmp_seq 287
Request timeout for icmp_seq 288
Request timeout for icmp_seq 289
64 bytes from 81.200.64.50: icmp_seq=290 ttl=50 time=12.165 ms
64 bytes from 81.200.64.50: icmp_seq=291 ttl=50 time=12.119 ms
64 bytes from 81.200.64.50: icmp_seq=292 ttl=50 time=13.080 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 293
64 bytes from 81.200.64.50: icmp_seq=294 ttl=50 time=12.287 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 295
64 bytes from 81.200.64.50: icmp_seq=296 ttl=50 time=12.404 ms
64 bytes from 81.200.64.50: icmp_seq=297 ttl=50 time=11.872 ms
64 bytes from 81.200.64.50: icmp_seq=298 ttl=50 time=12.286 ms
64 bytes from 81.200.64.50: icmp_seq=299 ttl=50 time=12.625 ms
^C
--- 81.200.64.50 ping statistics ---
301 packets transmitted, 164 packets received, 45.5% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 11.593/13.221/59.435/5.151 ms
Simons-imac:~ simon$

xedx
Hooked

I signed up to Plusnet just over 18 months ago so whichever was the standard router that connected to an openreach modem then ... think it was a sagem but definitely not the hub one.

Started a TBB monitor yesterday and after checking on it it's showing complete red which I'm guessing is an error but after experiencing the erratic behavior of my connection I can't say 100% (it has spontaneous moments of loading pages normally). The IP it's monitoring is definitely my static Plusnet IP though.

As for the ping test, I'm using Linux which I'm not an expert on. I tried your first line "

>ping -t bbc.co.uk

" in a terminal and got an error. I can say that I went to pingtest.net a few days ago and got bizarre results https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Packet-Loss-0MB-Upload-Bizarre-Ping/m-p/1367655#M46641

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@xedx

On linux, do not use the "-t" as it has a different meaning

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
belcebuu
Hooked

Hello guys, 

I have been following this thread due to packet loss issues.

The weird thing is that now pingtest is not giving me any packet loss but when I run the ping into bbc.co.uk it is showing packet loss.

I am at Milton Keynes server, they did a test in my line last Friday but they said it was all fine, how is that possible ? I still have 18% packet loss right now

Ping statistics for 212.58.244.71:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 82, Lost = 18 (18% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 8ms, Average = 6ms

Paul_Corfield
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@xedx

The plusnet routers wont accept a ping from TBB which is why you get the complete red band. Someone mentioned earlier that you can add something like a set top box to the dmz in the router and TBB will automatically then ping through to that. I was getting the complete red band on my Plusnet 2704n sagecom modem but I can successfully get a TBB trace when I add my Youview box or my sons Playstation 4 to the dmz in the router.

My current graph that is running at the moment. The big red spike was where my son turned his PS4 off for a minute (after I'd told him not to) before turning it back on again.

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet

Paul.