cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

dai
Grafter

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

Crock of [-Censored-] once again. That's me done, I shouldn't have to concern myself with something that should just work.
iain_lee
Dabbler

Putting it politely - I'm not amused.

I also agree that the stable connection limited at 20Mbps last night was far more useable and responsive than the 51Mbps connection with packet loss.

I was on holiday last week in a cottage outside Buxton equipped with normal ADSL broadband - it was far more responsive even though due to its distance from the exchange could not have been anywhere near max speed!
garym_67

This is getting beyond a joke now, gone on far too long without any real explanation and the fact the support team insist the problems were resolved on Friday just adds insult to injury.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/06b1570998f970b31e4e74fd144133ad.html

Time for action now Plusnet, if you are listening?

Sogrom

@plusnethelp response on twitter -

No ETA on fix for the packet loss at the moment Sad  - its being worked on as a high priority

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Cross-post removed as it is against Forum rules

See https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Could-someone-check-my-profile-please/m-p/1367539

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MUFFiN
Grafter

@Sogrom they are just regurgitating the same old bile.

They said last week it was being treated as high priority, they also said last week the issue was "resolved" - they even said yesterday that there was no widespread outage reported & it could be line specific but I guess they don't pay attention to the forums as there is more than me having the same issues, at the same time of the day.
xedx
Hooked

Just to add another complaint to the pile, I'm in the same boat as everyone here. This is the 3rd problem I've had in the last month, twice no internet connection at all and this time with extremely limited internet.

I've read a fair few posts about people solving this issue with a static IP so I see no reason Plusnet shouldn't be providing that (free of charge) to everyone whose service has been effected until they resolve this issue seeing as it's evident from all the complaints the problem is on their end.

eatyourteeth
Grafter

While I am free from packet loss at the time being, (note that it kicked in around 4pm yesterday), my speed is all over the place. Ranging from 5-15 Mbps from every minute to the next, I am going to call up PN and see what they have to say. Here's my prediction "We ran the BT wholesale test and got XX Mbps (speed I could only dream of having), the problem is likely on your end, but we will run the same tests from before".

Keep in mind PlusNet, that I have evidenced that I was once receiving 24 Mbps from you at one time for 1-2 months. I'll also ask what type of compensation customers will be receiving, seeing as no-one has really come forward from the community of PN from what they will be given back. I personally have enough graphs and call logs, as well as a support ticket back from 5 weeks ago to warrant this.

Sogrom

@MUFFiN The problem is that many users accept (wrongly) slower than usual internet connection because they don't understand what is causing it.

With the number of posters and the location of the packetloss I think its probably affecting a lot more users than the service desk are getting reports off.

The PR department of PlusNet are missing a trick with keeping everyone informed, Had this been my work we would have identified the affected area and we would be rushing through a revamped network design and investing in new links / new hardware to resolve this completely,  All of this takes time, but keeping the affected "stakeholders" informed takes the pressure off a bit, as people understand things happen..... its how they are fixed which counts.......  but unfortunately the silence is deafening..

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi all,

We made a change at around 3:15pm this afternoon to try and improve this. We can see on the TBB graphs at Colindale there's a small spike in the packet loss as we made the change and then the packet loss looks to disappear. It's early days but we're hopefully that this change will have a positive result. Can people let us know what it's like this evening please and again anyone that has a TBB graph can you post the live graphs please so we can see what effect it has had.

Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
mnewtonuk
Hooked

@dave I see the spike on my graph and am looking forward to seeing if it has made an improvement tonight. I had a constant packet loss of ~45% from 18:00 last night so will be able to see if it has made a difference in a few hours time.

My Broadband Ping - PlusNet #2

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Looking good here Thumbs_Up

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet PTA

I'd normally be seeing loss via pingtest.net at this time too:

Save

Save

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dnpark38
Rising Star

Just now

Packet Loss  0%

Ping  50ms

Jitter  62ms

Grade C

ISP  Imfonet

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
dnpark38
Rising Star

Speed gone down from 36 Mb to 30 Mb

As something else been upset?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@dnpark38, given some of your recent observations, I can't help but think you might have another problem somewhere.Your circuit is currently in sync at 33.9mbps and this issue will have had no influence over the rate at which you're synchronised with your cabinet.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵