cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

Flabula
Grafter

Re: Performance Woes Hamper PlusNet Users as New Network Takes Blame

If a static IP will fix the problem, give us static IPs!

And I do mean GIVE as I'll be [-Censored-]ed if I'll pay them £5 to fix their own problems.

Do You Proud, my rectal opening....

AvengerUK01
Rising Star

@alchemiculte  Sad - I get the feeling they've only started admitting it because of the users here constantly contacting and badgering them about it! 

To have network problems for now 5 working days due to a "New network" (which obviously has been mismanaged to hell and back) - is one thing.

To not publicly acknowledge it until challenged is a complete other thing, and is probably what I'm most annoyed about.

They won't offer unless you really give them a hard time - but make sure to ask for "a goodwill gesture" (or just plain out compensation) once this is over - I've been offered it once its fixed - what I've no idea but something is better than nothing. 

Paul_Corfield
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Since last nights planned maintenance I can now add my name (PN username paulcorfield) to the packet loss saga. Had been getting a steady 72mbps up until this morning. Now since the maintenance it is varying wildly between 0.1mbps and 72mbps with a packet loss of 70%. Happy days. Angry

AvengerUK01
Rising Star

Just spoke to Pnet again - they are aware it's worse since the maintenance but couldn't say more. 

jwalsh2005
Hooked

BQM

Internet has been bad for a few weeks and its awful in the evenings Sad

slavo71
Rising Star

I've been having the same problems as others with slow loading webpages and some just timing out, this morning it went worse! So with nothing to lose I decided to try manually setting the DNS address to Google's public DNS, rather than letting windows automatically determine which DNS address to use.

So far so good, all the websites that were taking ages to load/timing out are now loading instantly.

It is dead easy to do and you can always switch it back if it doesn't work for you!

Step 1. In your windows PC go to the Control Panel and select Network and sharing centre.

Step 2. Click on Change adapter settings.

Step 3. You will see all networks, select the network that you want to configure for Google DNS. Right-click on Local Area Connection and then select Properties.

Step 4. Now click on Networking tab and there under This connection uses the following items select the option Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click on properties.

Step 5. Now choose the radio button Use the following DNS server addresses. Fill the value to 8.8.8.8 then click on “OK” and restart your router.

You can always revert back to the default ISP provided one by selecting Obtain DNS server address automatically.

If it works for you can you give me a thumbs up please? Plus it will let other see if it does work for other people as well! Wink

sarczoid
Rising Star

I logged a fault two months ago with plusnet on this very issue, they threw the usual "openreach will charge us so we will charge you if its not a line fault"

I didn't proceed because I couldn't prove it was a "line fault"

Its because, its a combination of two things

1: crosstalk and lower sync speed on my line

2: PlusNet core network having issues for a few months, that's being covered up!

Krem
Grafter

The net utterly stopped working last night but been having issues of pack loss only in certain games for the past week or so

World of Warcraft seems to be fine on the EU servers yet FFXIV on the Chaos data centre (also EU based) seems to have heavy losses (Slavo's google DNS fix only seems to slightly fix the issue)

sarczoid
Rising Star

The more I look into this the more I think its a routing issue......      No doubt they have a core router that's problematic.

They probably upgraded the firmware last night thinking it would fix a few things but its made the problem worse.

PlusNet management:  its time to spend the £30-100k on the new kit you need!

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

My Broadband Ping - plusnet..

Today packet loss seams to be worse

Paul_Corfield
Rising Star

@slavo71 You can also log into the router in the web browser, in advanced settings under DNS the google server is listed as an option. Initially I thought it had worked as my first test after changing to google 8888 showed 0% packet loss. All tests since though have showed a packet loss of around 75%. Sad

slavo71
Rising Star

@Paul_Corfield OK cheers for that, I'll look now out of interest Wink

russellede
Dabbler

Had to disconnect my router last night, and since then went from the constant low-level packet loss (1-4%) but high ping times I'd been experiencing to the extreme levels of packet loss others had been, and ignoring the downtime on the extended maintenance, my connection has devolved to this:

cactusj1
Dabbler

Whilst my general connectivity to websites is improving as the morning goes on... I still can't view streams properly on Twitch.tv - even at medium quality, I get freezing! Forget about running a stream in high quality mode...

Anyone else with Twitch issues?

Krem
Grafter

@cactusj1 my housemate and I had issues with Twitch last night on low the moment he was using it everything else didn't work at the same time, including web browsing and netflix, he had to quit watching after an hour..

the Iplayer isn't in great shape either keeps loosing sync and stuttering