cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

davenos
Rising Star

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

I would love to leave but in stuck unless i want to downgrade to ADSL, I've tried placing orders with BT, SSE, Sky, TalkTalk and all cancel my order as the cabinet is full.

Tonight im getting 500ms ping in BF4 amd BF1 when i can get the servers to load, twitch is pointless even trying and even simple Facebook videos are buffering or failing.
dnpark38
Rising Star

davenos wrote:
...... all cancel my order as the cabinet is full.

That doesn't make sense does it you have already got your fiber place in the cabinet.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
nbk
Grafter

when i read it i thought maybe he's placed a new order rather than migrating with a MAC

robunknownuser
Dabbler

I can't say that I have noticed issues with video streaming or general web browsing. I have noticed it whilst I try to Remotely connect into my work place via Citrix and also RDS. It disconnects every 5 seconds almost which is highly frustrating when I'm on call trying to complete urgent tasks. I'm having to resort to tethering from my mobile phone. I'm on the 'new' network and this has been going on for some time for me.

Think ill be looking elsewhere for broadband at this rate as it doesn't look like this issue is any closer to getting fixed. Those that have been moved back to the old network, surely it's just a matter of time before static addresses are moved onto the new core?

mac1
Dabbler

Anyone from Plusnet even bothering to look at this thread anymore ???????????????????Huh

internet unusable today rebooted the router and wish i hadn't it just gets worse

5 sept.PNG

Not much gaming taking place here much like the award winning customer service.

Come on a least let us know you are doing something PLEASE

ben01492
Dabbler

Seem to be exceptionally bad this evening, online gaming is completely impossible. Currently connected to gateway "psb-ir01". I honestly feel as though plusnet do not care, they seem to be just assigning people to static IP's instead of fixing the problem. The people complaining are probably a small minority of their customer so they probably couldn't care less!

Twitch is buffering left, right and centre. Trying to play the BF1 Beta is impossible. Angry

My Broadband Ping - PN

davenos
Rising Star

Regarding moving i can only go by what the other ISP's say, all my orders have been placed over the phone and all are aware im migrating and not placing a new order.

Im really at the point of considering downgrading just to get away, it just feels as if Plusnet are not really that bothered and it really feels alot like the traffic management you used to get with Virgin Media.
Landlord
Hooked

I'm not sure if I'm one of the "lucky" ones who has been placed on a static IP (my IP is the 80 range) but it's made almost no difference.

Still getting stuttering and buffering.

I HATE the fact that PN haven't the decency to respond to this thread. They read these threads - we know because we've seen Bob reply in the past - so why the radio silence now when it's utterly apparent that there is a common, repeatable issue affecting a number of us?

I wonder if PN can appreciate how it feels to hand over my hard-earned for such a poor service. I mean REALLY appreciate it. It feels a lot like PN are burying their head in the sand, hoping this will go away. They know we have no recourse beyond logging a complaint, waiting 8 weeks, raising it with the authorities, waiting another 6 weeks. The number of people who have the time or inclination to do this will be a fraction of the number of people affected.

How does PN feel knowing there are customers counting down the days until they can break out of their contract and leave - all the while their resentment of PN grows and solidifies. Do they appreciate that they will never win these customers back once they've gone?

Rather than complain through official channels, it's probably a better idea to let PN's competitors know about this thread. I'm sure Sky or BT's social network team could get this viral without getting their hands dirty.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

It would be helpful if Plusnet provided a progress report on the measures being taken to identify the root cause of the packet loss and on the steps being taken to provide a proper service. Ideally a daily report, unless the solution is implemented immediately.

dnpark38
Rising Star

Have PN even said anything about the Packet Loss we are having?

I can't recall any acknowledgement that there is a problem.

What I do recall is many years ago I was with ADSL24 (Entanet) and they were marvellous, then word got out how good they were and people joined up.  More joined and so it went on until in the evenings it slowed and slowed as the evening went on.

We were told not enough "pipes" they had 6 I think and was told they really needed 8. Getting shortly we were told over and over again.

Result we left one by one.

!8 month contracts come to an end, mine does this week, wake up Plusnet please.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

NiM
Grafter

Edit:

Disregard, had a phone call from a rep saying it was a mistake.

---

@@bobpullen @dave

As the only two people at PN who seem to have a clue what's going on; could either of you tell me why I've had a support ticket response, saying I now need to arrange a date for a BT engineer visit? I was moved onto a static IP on Friday which seemingly resolved the problems I was having on the new network; so what's the point of an engineer visiting? besides wasting a lot of peoples time?

russellede
Dabbler

Think sadly that's its starting to look like congestion, been fine today with most schools back until around 4pm. Probably time to jump ship.

dnpark38
Rising Star

0% Packet Loss until 1pm then 2% and then rising now 52%

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Since being on a static ip ive not had half as much rubberbanding in online gaming and packet loss seams to be very low too, some of your guys really got it bad going from those graphs, i would have expected some sort of update from plusnet by now.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There seems to be a common mistake being made by people regarding fixed IPs and the old/new network. People on fixed IPs can still be on the new network.

The old network uses WBMC Shared, the new network WBMC Dedicated. See http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16711.0.html for a detailed explanation.

When people on fixed IPs are moved to the new network their connection is tunnelled through to one of the old bng gateways (i.e. although it is going through the initial part of the new WBMC Dedicated network all of that is hidden in the tracert).

Dave posted about this here:

@dave wrote:

That's me, I've added static IPs to a few of you to see whether that makes a difference as it changes the way your traffic routes through the network. With a static IP your traffic coming to us from you follows the same route up to a point and then goes a different way out the Internet via one of the BNGs.

If you were moved to the new network, experienced issues and then had fixed IP added, you will still be on the new network - it's just that some of your routing goes through a different path to the routing for those on dynamic IPs.

For people on fixed IPs it is not possible to tell if you are on WBMC Shared or WBMC Dedicated.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)