cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

andyr700
Hooked

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

Hi Guys, thought I should comment as I have had this issue resolved but you will need, not unlimited fibre, but unlimited patience. You can see from my previous posts I provided packet loss TBB graphs, traceroutes, etc. I can say that a static IP address (which has been added to my account for free) has resolved the issue for me. From a technical perspective since the static IP update I am no longer routing through the hiper04 environment, the path looks London based (lo16) but this might be impacted by my location (Ipswich / Felixstowe) so might not work for everyone - I don't know.

However, to achieve this took 3 support tickets, 3 phone calls, one web chat and a few weeks. First thing to understand is with all providers you are never speaking to someone at the company. Phone call / web chat / support ticket = 3rd party call centre / agent somewhere - it will be very rare you are ever speaking to an engineer. All providers are, to my knowledge, like this, so if you ever have an issue all providers are as bad as each other. This means unless the agent can look at a webpage somewhere of known issues and see updates related to this, they can do nothing for you. During my tickets, even with evidence of 0% packet loss to my router and all other DNS locations except hiper04, they said an engineer would call or text me within the hour. An hour later a support ticket appeared saying they where sending a new router and this would hopefully resolve the issue. Wonderful, what has that got to do with anything? However, standard canned 3rd party steps to resolving a customer issue and a waste of hardware. Across the 3 phone calls the initial wait time was never less than 25mins, mostly 30mins+ (during a weekday evening). I kept notes of everything for an Ofcom/CISAS case. The final call went like this:

00 - 31mins: In queue to their accounts team. I am ringing to explore cancelling my contract.

31 - 32mins: Picked up, now being transferred to cancellations.

32 - 47mins: On hold.

47 - 50mins: I want to cancel. Get told termination of my contract will cost me £384, if I don't pay I'll have the debt collectors after me. I can open an Ofcom/CISAS case and the outcome of that determines if the debt goes away. I explain that their Unlimited Fibre Product is not fit for purpose, targeted at gamers / streamers and its evidently useless for that between 20:00 - 23:00 every evening for weeks. So while the issue is resolved can I get a rebate of the broadband fees? Ah, you'll need to talk to technical support. I'll transfer you!

50 - 78mins: On hold to technical support.

78 - 82mins: Explain my situation.

82 - 89mins: They are reviewing my support tickets and this forum. This is actually real progress and the lady on the phone was genuinely helpful and had someone there who knew how to assist. This did not happen the previous calls and to my knowledge is pure fluke. You might need to just keep trying until you get through to someone like this.

89 - 98mins: They want to try the static IP (they actually read this forum). Reboot my router, everything is evidently not going through hiper04. I reset Pingplotter to twitch.tv which had 80% packet loss at start of the call and through the new routing, no evident packet loss for 5mins+. Happy to mark resolved, I'll watch over the next few days. 

I have not watched packet loss graphs or TBB since, however, I am not longer getting disconnected or seeing any lag / bad streaming so everything has been functional since. Don't know if this helps anyone, all I can say is all providers are as bad as each other when it comes to a customer having an issue, just look twitter for any telecom company.

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

my fibre is [-Censored-] today ... 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5597882918.png

Speeds really poor today for 80/20 package .......... my ping in games is around 90 when its normally 15.

GeesRiK
Hooked

@St3

Same here, about 4 times the speed it normally is this time of day.
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

I had better speeds on the old network lol

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

So apparently they know nothing

Screenshot_20160901-190327.png

pantsman28
Grafter

@KennethBaxter they could send an engineer but it will be wasting their time.

On another thread in the forum we mention the engineer visits:.

At present both the 209.x.x.x and 51.x.x.x subnets seem to be experiencing problems. I switched to an 80.x.x.x subnet thanks to a static IP at the weekend, and have had no further packet loss since. While there isn't a correlation between the 209 and 51 subnets in terms of the IPs (Bob tells me one is ARIN, the other RIPE), there is a correlation in that they're both on the new network.

This isn't a local issue - I've had an engineer visit to my home yesterday, who confirmed no issues between myself and the exchange, and no issues with the connection itself. Bob has also let me know there is a line card due for replacement on Thursday that could be having an impact for these issues, and he would let me know the outcome.

Basically, the problem is on your end, not ours. I understand you needing to follow the script and make sure that everyone's on the same page, but there are a number of people in this forum reporting exactly the same issue, and where they've posted traffic graphs, they look exactly like mine did a week ago, and still did before I swapped to static.

Its a wide spread issue with the whole network. My guess is its over subscribed services a victim of their own marketing success.....

KennethBaxter
Dabbler

I have asked for a static IP address. I hope to recieve this as it seemed to fix a few peoples problems

pantsman28
Grafter

@Riza I am sure they are more than aware of the issue. its been going on for far to long. Chances are they don't have a clue to the cause. Deny everything admit nothing.

pantsman28
Grafter

I can tell its bad tonight I can't even access the BT wholesale speed test.

pantsman28
Grafter

looking goodlooking good

Riza
Rising Star

NEWS.PNG

News is on the way folks Wink

Probably bobpullen is going to update us on something.

eatyourteeth
Grafter

It's been 7 weeks. I'm not holding my breath. I'm already going to move, but am just holding out here to try and help those who are locked in by PN by providing details on this issue until I move. Sorry for those who have no choice.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/82e953580b7448fd201971e5f33d9818.html

KennethBaxter
Dabbler

As posted above. A static IP solves the packet loss problem completely.

I went to the addon page and it said it was £5 setup charge. I clicked add now expecting further information etc but it instantly added the static ip (81.xxx) and added £5 to my next bill. I restarted my modem and router.

Now on the static IP I have zero packet loss and my connection is completely fine again.

Riza
Rising Star

@KennethBaxter it has moved you from the new network to the old network which is why it fixes it for people.Thumbs_Up

The new network is a mess. It shouldn't be "beta tested" or experimented on residents who have stable lines.

I personally am not going to spend any money into fixing this, I haven't caused the problem and I believe Plusnet should be held responsible, I did no configuration changes on my end.

Capture.PNG

Not even getting my full speed of my line's capability, it's usually 72.08Mbps, but only getting 17Mbps, I believe this is under the 40%~55% threshold (some figure around that range) that will alow Plusnet to investigate.

I would have paid for 40/20 (or whatever it's being branded to now) if I wanted speeds like this. It's not a like for like service.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Riza

The same staff who man the Twitter and Facebook feeds also look after this forum.  So make you own conclusion from that.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT