cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

Glix
Dabbler

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

Classic just after midnight, packetloss starts climbing down. Smells like congestion. Think I'll be leaving soon.

NpO5yhK

Landlord
Hooked

Right, time for me to contribute to this thread as one of the ignorant silent majority.

I didn’t know what “packet loss” was nor its relationship with the symptoms before this thread prompted me to read up on it. All I knew was that my broadband service was (is) useless. I just assumed that that’s how it is and I just have to put up with it seeing as I’m tied in to a contract. I got used to restarting my router numerous times per day and “enjoying” an hour or so of improved broadband until if failed again. I put this down to the notoriously poor router supplied by PlusNet.

I don’t have time to spend ages on the phone to customer support – in fact, I don’t have a home phone at all so would need to borrow/buy one to call at all. Reading this thread suggests that I’d be wasting my time anyway. Good to know in one way – saving me the frustration – but an awful indictment of PlusNet. Makes their TV adverts laughable. “Do you proud” indeed!

I stumbled across this thread because I’d finally got so sick and tired of my broadband that I felt I had to try something. It’s noticeable that this was a) the most recently updated thread and; b) one of the longest threads on the forum (fortunately for me because I had no idea what to look for)

My symptoms are exactly what everyone else here has. Stuttering and buffering on videos (iPlayer, YouTube et al), DNS failures(?) on random websites. Very frequently my YouTube videos would randomly pause on my Firestick and pressing play would resume… followed by some stuttering. I put it down to me overestimating what Fibre BB could do and that it was normal for streaming to be so bad given my speed of <40 Mbs… I now know that that’s wrong. In one way it’s encouraging to see so many people having exactly the same issue – to know that I’m not expecting too much for my money but on the other hand it’s discouraging to see the disinterest PlusNet appear to show with regards to the problem.

I admire those on here that are able to do the diagnosis for PlusNet with their graphs and “tracert”s and other technical gubbins. However, I don’t understand such things. I just want to hand over my hard earned money and to receive the service PlusNet advertise. I think that’s an eminently fair request.

So, in summary, and this is aimed squarely for PlusNet’s attention…

The broadband service I receive is well below the standards I’d expect… standards that I PAY for. This thread is a damning indictment of the quality of your service - both technical and customer. WHY has this problem been going on so long? It’s so frustrating for someone like me rendered impotent through lack of technical knowledge and through contractual bindings.

I have to say that my excitement was piqued when I saw that someone managed to get an early exit from their contract without a fee… I would love to leave PlusNet. I only chose them because of a poor experience with BT customer service a few years ago… that said, their broadband provision was exemplary and the issue was only when waiting for installation. I genuinely regret choosing PlusNet. I suspect however that to put the wheels in motion to annul my contract will require an exasperatingly protracted and frustrating period with PlusNet customer support. I don’t have the time nor inclination to do this and therefore, by default, PlusNet will continue to receive my money – as much as it pains me to concede this.

Please up the priority of this fixing problem before your reputation gets well and truly ruined. It won’t be long before people like myself will be shouting from the roof tops to make sure others are aware of the PlusNet’s mediocrity.

:sigh:

You know what… the sad thing is that I suspect I’m whistling in the wind in writing this post. God, that’s frustrating.

“Plus-la la la I’m not listening-Net” please give me value for my money.

UPDATE: Last night at around 9pm I gave the PingTest.net thing a go. I consistently got grade F with packet loss in the 40%-60%, ping at around 50ms-115ms.

I am on the 146 IP range.

scottrc
Rising Star

It's been a month now with no result, plusnet still do not even know what is causing it (not sure if I believe this though). I might report it to watchdog on Monday if nothing has changed. They love this kind of thing.

ahoyhoy
Dabbler

Seems getting Watchdog in on things like this is the only way to get stuff done.

I've fixed my issue with the static IP solution, but I'll be looking for a new ISP once my contract is up. This whole issue is very telling of PN abilities to fix a non-standard problem. Have they actually acknowledged there is an issue yet?

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've made a collection of previous graphs since the 21st August 2016, to today.

http://imgur.com/a/XdzgK

The problem starts on the 24th August 2016, see if there was any configuration changes then. (for me)

I've gone ahead a reported a fault on faults.plus.net to see if this will speed anything up to make Plusnet more aware of the issue.

Edit:

Mixtue of results. Seems like packet loss is dependant on conditions and the route the connection takes.

Untitled.png

bb0424aeb82eb1ab1e2d29e23e28dd21-01-09-2016.png

GeesRiK
Hooked

I'm not sure if its related, but I seem to have started to get this issue since I swapped form the old setup I had (separate BT fibre box, and router) to the "new" Hub One. Since then my connection has been up and down like no ones business. 

Starting to think I might got back to the old way and see if that helps...? 

Sorry if this has already been stated in the previous 23 pages. 

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@GeesRiK

It could be likely to be your internal wiring. Though because of the wide-spread issue, including people from different geographical locations getting packet loss. It is likely Plusnet's internal network.

You could try to change your setup, but I would believe it would do nothing. You should also find out if you are on the new network. Just open command prompt / terminal from your computer and type in tracert ntp.plus.net

You should get a result like this:

Tracing route to ntp.plus.net [212.159.6.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  DD-WRT [192.168.1.1]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *       11 ms    11 ms  129.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk [195.166.143.
129]
  4    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  be3-3100.pcn-ir01.plus.net [195.166.143.128]
  5    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  cdns02.plus.net [212.159.6.10]

Trace complete.

You can post it back here or check yourself. If it contains the letters ir01.plus.net or ir02.plus.net or anything starting with ir then you are on the new network; it is likely to be caused by this widespread issue.

In my case on hop 4 I get 

4    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  be3-3100.pcn-ir01.plus.net [195.166.143.128 ]

And the be3-3100.pcn-ir01.plus.net address contains ir01.plus.net

scottrc
Rising Star

@GeesRiK wrote:

I'm not sure if its related, but I seem to have started to get this issue since I swapped form the old setup I had (separate BT fibre box, and router) to the "new" Hub One. Since then my connection has been up and down like no ones business. 

Starting to think I might got back to the old way and see if that helps...? 

Sorry if this has already been stated in the previous 23 pages. 

Just to put your mind at rest. I was using the BT homehub when my problems started, I actually switched over to the plusnet hub one and neither made any difference.

I spoke to soon yesterday when I said mine might of been fixed. About an hour after me posting the problems came back.

GeesRiK
Hooked

@Riza

I'll do it tonight and post back the results. 

Thanks 

KennethBaxter
Dabbler

It seems my problems have already started today... This is getting ridiculous.

ss+(2016-09-01+at+02.20.27).png

151211080.png

Landlord
Hooked

I am genuinely at a loss as to how PlusNet can be stumped by this.

There's a ton of evidence of the problem getting markedly worse during peak hours. There's a ton of evidence that the IP addresses(?) affected are the same (51 and 146). Surely this must give the PlusNet techies a sufficiently focused target to investigate?

PlusNet have promised us a broadband service in return for a few quid each month (including a price increase*) so surely they must have employees who are at the very least pretty knowledgeable about how the internet works. I'd wager they have a guru or two as well.

Why is there no feedback? No updates? No progress reports? No ETAs? No attempt to at least reassure us that they are taking the issue seriously and taking the satisfaction of their customers seriously enough to throw almost everything at the problem. It's undoubtedly an economic issue, IMHO. It's cheaper to have us malcontents moan on a very limited forum that to spend money on fixing the issue.

* That's another thing. I received the increase in charge email whilst on holiday. Reading it on a small phone screen with ropey internet service and whilst trying to enjoy myself. I didn't notice the tiny text buried at the end of the email saying that I can terminate my service within 30 days etc. It's only when I came on this thread and saw someone make reference to it that I went back to check - naturally I've now missed the 30 day window. I'm gutted. There was my opportunity to ditch PlusNet. Instead I'm still beholden to them... only now for an increased fee.

pantsman28
Grafter

I have been following this thread since day one and like many of you, I to seem to have experienced large packet loss during peak times. I was and still on the 209 ip range which after the upgrade seemed to have cured the problem and enjoying about 2 weeks of uninterrupted service.

However, I have noticed buffering issues the past 2 evenings and I fear the problem may have returned. I will plugin in the old equipment again to monitor packet loss.

I concur with many of you that this problem should of been resolved weeks ago. Many old isp's have died because of poor service and customer support. I foresee this problem many damage the reputation of plusnet and lose customer over time. 

I am waiting till my contract is up and will be moving on. If I pay for a service I would like to use it how I see fit, when I want for as long as I want. 

I think it may be time to contact Watchdog in our drones.

I will return once my monitor has gathered evidence.

KennethBaxter
Dabbler

Recieved a reply on my ticket and as I expected they say theres zero problems found and they want to send out an engineer. I seriously don't get why they want to do that. The problem is with their new network and not on my end, the engineer visit is going to be a waste of time.

"Thanks for your patience, apologies for the delay in picking up your issues.

I have tested your line but have not been able to identify a reason for your issues.

To progress your fault, we need to arrange an engineer visit. Please reply to this message with ideally 3 available timeslots for an engineers visit. The available timeslots are weekdays either between 8am & 1pm or between 1pm & 6pm."

Seems like they have no idea what the problem is or its their own new network. Seriously considering leaving as my contract is up soon. This issue has been around for over a month according to the thread and they still haven't even acknowledged theres a problem or given any proper feedback or dates for a fix.

scottrc
Rising Star

To those who created a fault with plusnet and got that kind of reply. Make sure you don't close the fault ticket. It hasn't been resolved and let them know that. Show them this thread as an explanation about why they may not be picking it up on their short tests. It's up to them if they want to waste money sending out an engineer I guess.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-traffic-prioritisation/

"In exceptional circumstances the network could become much busier than expected. This could be due to a major news event leading to a huge amount of online traffic, or in the rare case of network failure, for example. In these situations, we would prioritise traffic on our network to help ensure you get a great service no matter how busy it is."

I see that's going well. If after 8 weeks the fault is still not fixed then we can go to http://www.cedr.com/cisas/ and let them take it further.

englishbob
Hooked

Come on and sort this out

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) All caps removed as per Forum rules