Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

There's a separate problem open about the rate limiting not working across certain parts of the new network. Last I heard, it will be fixed with a firmware upgrade of the traffic management switches. I don't think at this stage that it's related to the packet loss problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5586814122.png

Today im getting rubberbanding in most online games, my speed has dropped from 65 to 30... somthing seams borked again.

NiM
Grafter

No change here, still lots of red on TBB during peak.

Ran the gateway check:

• core2-hu0-18-0-0.southbank.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.24) 5.034 ms

tommygunyeah
Dabbler

Still having issues, all back again tonight. Cannot watch streams.

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I remember before with Plusnet, we used to have those gateway graphs showing us congestion on each gateway.

Now that we've moved to a new network, I simply think that these packet loss issues is an problem with congestion. With the old network, I remember the links like PCL-BNG01 were the culprits around 6pm (evening) causing packet loss and bandwidth issues. The gateway's were less sticky and a router disconnect would have changed your gateway easily, but not any more Undecided

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/answer/What-causes-packet-loss-across-the-WAN-and-how-can-I-t...

Congestion somewhere along the path. Congestion occurs when the amount of traffic destined for a particular link exceeds the capacity of that link. The switch or router will buffer some packets, but eventually packets must be discarded. Congestion is most common at the entrance to a wide area network -- where the high capacity LAN meets a lower capacity access link -- and at the exit from the wide area network -- where the service provider's large network meets the lower capacity access link.

Essentially that link is overloaded and that everyone's packets are placed on a queue in a FIFO I/O. We no longer have any statistics about which gateway is at maximum capacity, but this is the only logical reason (which makes sense if Plusnet are silently acknowledging any issues in their official service status pages).

However, it is possible that it is this other reason

Loss due to bit errors corrupting the packet contents. With modern transmission technology this is less likely, but some links may have high bit error rates. Corrupted packets may be detected at Layer 2 and the packets will be discarded in the network.

Also this sounds very familiar to the issues I had previously when visiting a web server hosted on Virgin Media. There is no longer any issues with that server, but just a thought. If I were to ping the VM web server and see if packet loss is occurring, I believe one path on the gateway is causing this issue. 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/packet-loss-between-Plusnet-amp-Virgin-Media-reoccuran...

https://www.plus.net/features/network/

Unlike many ISPs, PlusNet own and manage their broadband platform. This means problems or configuration requirements can be quickly reacted to.

Not quite sure that this issue has been dealt with quickly or even reacted to.

scottrc
Rising Star

It's been 4 weeks now with me this problem, so I think it's fair to start asking for official answers. So could any plusnet staff please answer these. Are there currently any engineers out and about looking into this problem, or are you still only gathering data from customers? If not, then when will you start actively looking into hardware problems etc? When can we expect a fix for this?

davenos
Rising Star

Well my service seems to be back to normal, i've not had any packet loss over the weekend or today and all my services such a Netflix,NowTV and Xbox live are working as they should.

Hopefully it will remain this way.

scottrc
Rising Star

To those who got a static IP, are your problems still resolved or did the packet loss come back? It's got to the point where I'm tempted to just get one now.
Sweeney47
Dabbler

@scottrc

If indeed getting a static IP fixes the issues then you shouldn't be buying one, Plusnet should be assigning all those affected with one until they can fix the issue that's causing all this in the first place.

We are their customers, they are not supplying the quality of service we are paying for. Don't pay them more money to correct their failures.

TheHorseman
Rising Star

I had a power outage yesterday which put me back on the 51.9 IP range (from 147.147). I had to turn off the power today to fix the problem. After this the packet loss, while still present is much reduced (only 1-2%) and started much later.

Youtube works ok as does NowTV. I had problems with iTunes initially, I could get to the main music page but could not load any subsequent pages. Searching for a particular band just gave 'loading...', however that is now ok.

Waiting for this reply page to come up on this forum took longer than it should too, so things are not quite back to normal yet. Though it is better than it has been for the last 6 weeks.

jtjacques
Grafter

After a IP address change at around 4:30 AM - I'm now in the 146.198.150.x range - I seem to be having the horrendous packet losses again, after spending the last few days with only 2-3%. Though, to be fair, I'm showing much lower packet loss (0-5%) when I ping pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com than it seems to be getting to me (40%+).

574c44d76233795697fdac84ebccdb83-29-08-2016.png

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Another brilliant day.

5cd81d3e50e6bb4f45f2ea33ec809a7d

Seems like bank holiday has started more longer periods of packet loss.

I can't see how this new network should be trialled out wide spread when we have serious issues with packet loss. Until, this is solved you guys should have just reverted mentioned users comments of packet loss onto the old network until a solution is found.

I think that there is enough data gathered here on this thread the past 4 weeks to diagnose the issue. Likely to be a routing issue or congestion ( seeing that this only happens after the early mornings). 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Riza wrote:

I remember before with Plusnet, we used to have those gateway graphs showing us congestion on each gateway.

Now that we've moved to a new network, I simply think that these packet loss issues is an problem with congestion. With the old network, I remember the links like PCL-BNG01 were the culprits around 6pm (evening) causing packet loss and bandwidth issues. The gateway's were less sticky and a router disconnect would have changed your gateway easily, but not any more Undecided

Now that I'm seeing this on my own circuit at home, I can see that the loss seems to occur at points past what you'd consider the 'gateways' to be on the new network (the 'IR' hops in an outbound traceroute). I agree, the symptoms do look like congestion, however there should be plenty of capacity across the parts of the network in question.

@scottrc wrote:

It's been 4 weeks now with me this problem, so I think it's fair to start asking for official answers. So could any plusnet staff please answer these. Are there currently any engineers out and about looking into this problem, or are you still only gathering data from customers?

Yes, there are engineers looking into the problem and a number of physical changes/maintenance tasks have been carried out over recent weeks. Unfortunately, and as you're only too aware, the problem remains unresolved Sad

@Riza wrote:

I can't see how this new network should be trialled out wide spread when we have serious issues with packet loss. Until, this is solved you guys should have just reverted mentioned users comments of packet loss onto the old network until a solution is found.

This isn't really an option. Moving a user back to the 'old' network takes weeks and eats into the capacity we've set aside to migrate customers the other way (from old to new). Assigning a static IP does push the connection back through the 'old' L2TP network, however because of the way IP resource has been reassigned, it's not feasible to do this for all those on the new network either.

We are working hard to get to the bottom of this and we appreciate both the patience, and continued observations from you guys.

Hopefully have something more substantial to report this week.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I take it that PN are holding customers on the Old network , At this time and will only migrate them when it sorted ?Huh
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Sweeney47
Dabbler

@rongtw

Considering my issues only started four days ago and this forum topic is a month old now the answer to that question is seemingly and astoundingly NO. Which makes this whole scenario even more ridiculous - I'm paying for an 80MBps connection and PN have effectively sabotaged it knowing there's issues, in the hopes I wouldn't notice or care?