cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

Alucidnation
Rising Star

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

Is this the thread we use now for the ongoing joke of DNS issues at Plusnet?

Usual lags at peak times, website loading slow etc etc etc .

Well, at least they are consistent at being [-Censored-].

davvy76
Grafter

So fella's, I migrated yesterday and touch wood it's smooth sailing so far, just one instance of package loss in peak time:

My Broadband Ping - sse

Don't let plusnet fob you off, it's not your dns service, modem or any other thing they use to pass the buck. It's simply the new network. I hope you all get a positive outcome Wink

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@jwledwith wrote:

Can you *PLEASE* brief your support people with your view of this problem - I keep getting responses to my ticket that don't line up with what you are stating in this thread.

I'll see what I can do. For anybody with an open support ticket though, feel free to refer our support staff to this thread. If I'm honest, I doubt there's much our faults team can do to expedite resolution, however I agree the advice should be consistent.

@Alucidnation wrote:

Is this the thread we use now for the ongoing joke of DNS issues at Plusnet?

We're not aware of, nor are we investigating any DNS resolution problems. The issues being discussed in this thread are concerning packet loss, especially during peak times. Having said that, you'd be forgiven for mistaking it for a DNS issue.

Several avenues are being explored and as soon as I've anything tangible to report then I'll let you guys know.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tommygunyeah
Dabbler

@bobpullen 3 times I have referred them back here with my ticket and 3 times they have told me it's no issue on their side and ignored my comment. I have closed my ticket because there is no point to it they simply are pushing it back to me. This is literally the only place where we are getting any information on this.

scottrc
Rising Star

I had the worst night yet tonight, had trouble loading the Plusnet forum.

Lenia

I am migrating to BT at the end of the month. Thanks PN for making me look for options, found a better and cheaper deal because of ur issues. Extremely poor PN Customer support, closing tickets as "issue resolved" without notifying me with at least an e-mail. Great job. And the fact that the guys here ask us, THE CUSTOMERS, to point the customer service to this thread, just shows how great processes this company has.

For others who don't wanna migrate, ask them to give you a static IP. I have been using a VPN and it has been way better than without, but I still have some packet loss (max 5%) every now and then.

They put me on a static IP yesterday without me asking for it, but I cant bother checking if its ok without VPN. 

Irony is that they did this 3 weeks after the issues started, and 5 days after I applied to move.. Their "we are sorry you are leaving" letter arrived by post faster than their offering a temp solution, which they should have done from day 1...

Shame, good luck

NiM
Grafter

I'm also still getting ~5% packet loss during peaktime, I've finally had a reply to my ticket, suggesting it's congestion at my local exchange and they'll be contacting the supplier to fix it. Not entirely sure that tallies with what's going on, but I guess I'll have to wait and see...

TheHorseman
Rising Star

My graph for tonight is below:

My Broadband Ping - My Plusnet Connection

It is as bad as usual. No mention of a static IP though (though I have only communicated by ticket or this forum). It will have been five weeks at the end of tonight since the problem first started and there is no sign of a solution.

ade_r
Dabbler

Support have just contacted me to say they've assigned me a Static IP which should fix my packet loss.

Fingers crossed that this will work.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

mmmmmmm Huh  i would have thought a static IP wouldnt fix packet loss ?Huh

http://www.annese.com/blog/what-causes-packet-loss

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ade_r
Dabbler

Initial reports are favourable; now on an IP starting with 81.
NiM
Grafter

I got texted by PN this morning saying "my order has been succesfully completed" I assume it's something to do with whatever's being done to "resolve" this issue, but my ticket wasn't updated about it, there's no mail, nothing saying what's been changed?

I figured it might've been a static IP being assigned, but can't see any indication of that; still got my old IP and packet loss, nothing on my account saying anything, etc. Anyone else experience this?

TheHorseman
Rising Star

@rongtw, I believe that the routing is different for static IPs, so it avoids the problem.

drunkmunky
Hooked

A lot of people have before asked for a static IP and it fixed it briefly. Sorry to burst your bubble - however - if it fixes it congrats, you're one of few.

hazzardboy7
Grafter

hi i have a static ip address, issues still here.

I really think plusnet should fix this issue by a given date, or let us effected customers leave without penalty, it has been to long now, how much longer do we have to pay for a service which to be honest isn't fit for the purpose.

Yesterday tried watchinng video on you tube, they buffered all day for me, pages again not loading or if they did were very slow to load, its gettintg to the stage i might as well not internet at all, i certainly cant use it as i would like.

today has not been as bad as yesterday, you tube working much better today, but not perfect, web pages load ok 99% of the time as well