cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

davvy76
Grafter

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

Is anybody else constantly stuck on the same ip address? It doesn't matter how often I reboot the gateway I still get 51.6.x.57. I never asked for a static ip either.

Anyway, ping plotter graph:

postimage
TheHorseman
Rising Star

Yes, I've had the same IP for over a month now. The IP and gateway are very sticky on the new network. It does make gateway hopping practically impossible.

I now have 31 days worth of the TBB BQM plots saved, so this has been going on for at least a month and there is still no resolution in sight. It is time to consider my options I think.

ade_r
Dabbler

The other day I rebooted my hub & was on 51.9, but by the evening I was back on 51.6...
jwledwith
Dabbler

Are people still seeing the same issue with lag, stutter in gaming and video streaming? Did the maintenance work on Thursday 11th Aug change anything for anyone? ** EDIT ** I can see people reporting same issues - missed the recent posts.

I haven't seen this issue so far today but am waiting to check (again) during the normal times I do this in the evening.

As a side note, @tommygunyeah were you asked by plusnet support to change your DNS settings (on your machine's network adapter) to use Google's DNS servers? I was asked this today - seemed an odd suggestion but I did it anyway and it made no difference to things so far.

Plusnet support still not confirming any wider issues or the existence of this thread in any communications (I've added the URL for this post in my support question).

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Apologies again to those of you still experiencing problems. We're continuing to look into the issues being reported, sorry it's taking so long.

@TheHorseman wrote:

Yes, I've had the same IP for over a month now. The IP and gateway are very sticky on the new network. It does make gateway hopping practically impossible.

The concept of gateways is somewhat moot on the new network TBH, a lot of it's based on your geographical location. IP's will be more 'sticky' due to the way they're now assigned.

@Siddy wrote:

No doubt they will say its "not us" just like nothing is their fault. This new migration to the new server has done nothing but [-Censored-] customers off and they dont seem to bothered.

On the contrary, we're trying hard to locate the root cause of these issues. I'd like to make it clear though, that it's not affecting everybody on the new network. We've over a quarter of a million customers moved across (myself included) and there are plenty who aren't seeing the packet loss being reported in this thread.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

scottrc
Rising Star

I spoke too soon when I said it got better. It's back again for me Sad

scottrc
Rising Star

@bobpullen wrote:

Apologies again to those of you still experiencing problems. We're continuing to look into the issues being reported, sorry it's taking so long.

@TheHorseman wrote:

The concept of gateways is somewhat moot on the new network TBH, a lot of it's based on your geographical location. IP's will be more 'sticky' due to the way they're now assigned.

@Siddy wrote:

No doubt they will say its "not us" just like nothing is their fault. This new migration to the new server has done nothing but [-Censored-] customers off and they dont seem to bothered.

On the contrary, we're trying hard to locate the root cause of these issues. I'd like to make it clear though, that it's not affecting everybody on the new network. We've over a quarter of a million customers moved across (myself included) and there are plenty who aren't seeing the packet loss being reported in this thread.

I expect the majority don't report it. The average person really wouldn't notice it.

mac1
Dabbler

Hopefully like me the majority will wake up and start complaining loudly. Gaming has been poor no say it like it is bad , stuttering  not been able to keep up just a waste of time, page loading has been better with google DNS but not 100%.

My TBB monitor hasn't been showing much packet loss but since the "maintenance" there is a trace there all the time and now my connection has really gone down the tubes

have tried a few jumps but been stuck on 51.xxxxxxxxxxxx it doesn't make a difference

sorry rant over

Siddy
Grafter

As Scott has rightly pointed out the average person would not even notice the packet loss when they we're browsing the internet so boasting that you have a quarter of a million customers in the dark does not look good does it? Sure some might not have an issue but how many are in the dark about this?

So saying "there are plenty who aren't seeing the packet loss" when you have no evidence is kind of wrong when they could just be in the dark about the issue or may not even know what packet loss is or how it could affect them.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Siddy wrote:

As Scott has rightly pointed out the average person would not even notice the packet loss when they we're browsing the internet so boasting that you have a quarter of a million customers in the dark does not look good does it? Sure some might not have an issue but how many are in the dark about this?

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying, I'd argue that most would notice the ~50% packet loss at peak to be honest. I'm not trying to play the problem down, I just want to make it clear that it isn't affecting all customers on the new network. In fact I'm yet to see an example where a customer is being routed through one particular point of presence. You're all routing through one of the others.

So saying "there are plenty who aren't seeing the packet loss" when you have no evidence is kind of wrong when they could just be in the dark about the issue or may not even know what packet loss is or how it could affect them.

Agreed, we won't know the true scale until the root cause is realised. Anecdotal evidence suggests that at least half of those on the new network aren't seeing issues though (myself included).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

OB
Dabbler

I was also having large packet loss but it looks to have stopped between 10th - 11th for me

09/08/16:
My Broadband Ping - PN5

10/08/16:
My Broadband Ping - PN5

11/08/16:
My Broadband Ping - PN5

12/08/16:
My Broadband Ping - PN5

13/08/16:
My Broadband Ping - PN5

TheHorseman
Rising Star

I still have packet loss, yesterdays graph below

My Broadband Ping - My Plusnet Connection

The latency is because I am downloading/ uploading.

Siddy
Grafter

@OB my thinkbroadband said i was clear of the packet loss too, i had the odd spike yesterday but when i tried to play bf4 all i had was packet loss every few seconds which did not show on the chart.

Ive since disabled thinkbroadband, and put up my firewall on my router again.

@bobpullen im just going to agree to disagree, i dont believe most would notice the difference because i have the packetloss, and i only noticed it when i was gaming.So the average user would not notice anything imo.

Anyway nearly Thursday so that will be two weeks of issues then.

eatyourteeth
Grafter

Really feel sorry for everyone having this issue, I'm not the worst on the spectrum of this problem by a long shot, but the packet loss makes online gaming impossible, I'm trying to make do with counter:strike by having trying to use the random teleport effect from this to my advantage, it's a conversation starter in servers at the very least.

f1968e03170d6970a01588bb2962667c-16-08-2016.png

In the morning it seems fine, but anywhere from 10am to 11pm the issue arises and maintains throughout the day. Check my previous posts if you need any more information that I have provided on this so far. Oh, and ringing up plusnet to be told that "there is no issue our end" is always nice.

davvy76
Grafter

@eatyourteeth

I'm in a similar situation to you, not as bad as others such as @TheHorseman but online gaming is a waste of time. Doing the moonwalk mid game is not a good look really haha.

For me it kicks in around 6pm (peak time) until around midnight, it's like clockwork. On weekends it starts around 2pm onwards and is more severe.

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet