Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

@athruntalan wrote:
The entire 209 and 51 networks seem to be affected.

That's definitely not the case. I have a 51.6 IP and this was my graphing for yesterday (ignore the late night latency increase, I was uploading/downloading quite heavily):

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet PTA

It depends how you're routed through the new network, some of which is driven by your geographical location.

@ade_r wrote:

During a web chat I asked "[CSA Removed]" if when purchasing a Static IP I could specify one outside of what I understood to be the problem range of 51.6, she replied the IPs are automatically generated and there would be no guarantee that I wouldn't have bought one in that range.

Dynamic IP's tend to be drawn from different pools to our static allocations. We have no static IP's in the 51.6, 51.7 or 51.9 ranges. I wouldn't expect our front line support staff to know this TBH.

I'll be back tomorrow to confirm whether or not the maintenance work went ahead. At the moment, it's on track though.

Save

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

athruntalan
Grafter

Fingers crossed Bob, Thanks. I should say though that I had a 51.6 IP address and still experienced the packet loss.
mrw1989

Hi all. I'm adding my name to the list of those affected. Seeing similar patterns of packet loss as others. A background packet loss of 2-6% throughout most of the day (9am - midnight), and then getting worse at peak times (5-11pm).

My IP is also beginning 51.6.

Here is my graph for yesterday (09/08/2016):

My Broadband Ping - mrw1989

Siddy
Grafter

Only set this up tonight but i have a dynamic ip so dunno how long it will last.

dbcfe6f7f353f763218508342b52420f

UatuWatches

So, I spoke with PN customer support about this issue and they kindly offered me a static ip address to help resolve this issue. Which has helped. However, I noticed that my speeds have dropped from 70+ MB down to 38MB. Contacted them this evening about this and now they can only offer me 55MB.

I feel like I have lost out because I used the static IP address as a work around for an issue on the PN network.

Not happy at all.

This is from the line test that was run which trying to diagnose my fault.

Time Stamp 2016-07-18T13:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 75.9 Mbps 76.9 Mbps 76.5 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 874.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

What package are you on @UatuWatches ?

It looks like you have moved from 80/20 to 55/10 Huh

hex
Grafter

@bobpullen

Just to add a bit of context to the result on my ping graph (clearx) you referenced in your earlier post.

I am on a 84.x.x.x static IP and not on the new network as far as I know.   I had not been tracking this thread but noticed the packet loss on my quality monitor graph so did a disconnect/reconnect and that appears to have 'fixed' it for me.   I did not check the gateway I was on before/after the reconnect so sadly I cannot provide any more info there.

For me despite the packet loss shown I had not noticed much in the way of impact - general browsing, online gaming, twitch stream reviewing and iptv all seemed to work fine.    Not sure what my connection quality was like for the game (destiny) because I was not paying much attention but I did not notice any lag.

NiM
Grafter

Chalk me up as another who has been experiencing this issue for the last couple of weeks. I've just filed a ticket, I'd been holding off as I assumed it'd resolve itself, given it seems to be a common issue, but if anything it's getting worse.

I'm on a dynamic IP and I've had the same issue on numerous IP ranges. I'm currently on the 143.159.* range, but have experienced the same issue on the 51.* range.

0723331b9377abd3cf10ecf3990d1c66-10-08-2016

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/0723331b9377abd3cf10ecf3990d1c66-10-08-2016.html

Like others, I've tested using a VPN, briefly, everything seemed a lot better; but that's not something I can use regularly, nor am I willing to pay for.

eatyourteeth
Grafter

Hello everyone, just here to give my two cents pence on this issue, I too can testify that I have been having issues for the past two to three weeks, with around anywhere from 5-80% packet loss the past few weeks, making my gaming near impossible.

I am currently with a 209.** IP, which seems to be within this affected range I've been reading about. Several phone calls to PN and they confirmed there was an issue with their "141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk" address, as this was constantly timing out during testing. I was then told we would be contacted within 72 hours.

120 hours later, I ring again to be told that my IP address is "not what every IP lookup is telling me and is 95.** or something", and that the packet loss issue is my end, which made my almost spit tea onto the phone in surprise. They couldn't give any reason why I wasn't contacted sooner, and instead left me with "additional tests" they would run, but I (hope) that this issue will be looked into or resolved when the maintenance will go ahead, I just thank the people of this thread for making a noise and getting this looked into, at least some of you seem to have gotten a temporary solution of VPN's and static IPs.

Wish my first post could have been a more positive note, been very pleased with PN so far, I hope that this issue will be sorted during tomorrows maintenance.I will hopefully come back here to find good news if all goes well. Thank you for your time spent reading.

Siddy
Grafter

Here is a live graph:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/dbcfe6f7f353f763218508342b52420f.html

And how it currently looks
dbcfe6f7f353f763218508342b52420f

Wodge

I would love to set up a broadband quality monitor but I'm on a 2704n router and doing a quick google search says that it doesn't support ICMP, anyone know how to get it to work on this router?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Ronski @andyeff, having noticed you're still seeing low-level packet loss this morning, I've only just realised you're not on the new network, even though Andy pointed it out in a previous post by confirming he was on a static IP.

It seems you're both connected to pcl-ag07, so I suspect we've a problem somewhere with that specific gateway. If you both disconnect/reconnect until you hit another gateway, then I suspect your problems will go away.

For everybody else, this morning's changes were successful, so please keep an eye on things as we head into peak and let me know if there's any improvement.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

oscarthecat
Dabbler

At this time in the morning I was previously already seeing 2% packet loss - which got progressively worse throughout the day.  Consistently.

This morning:

120 packets transmitted, 120 received, 0% packet loss, time 23879ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 12.577/21.570/28.696/1.442 ms, ipg/ewma 200.664/21.264 ms

I was even able to make a VOIP call.  Woohoo!

tommygunyeah
Dabbler

So this morning I am not having any packet loss off teamspeak. But the issues were always much more noticeable in the evenings. I will see later on today and tomorrow.

andyeff
Dabbler

Hi bob, is it just a simple matter of taking the DSL connection down and letting the router bring it back up?

That is unfortunately a little inconvenient, as I have a problem with my line which means a retrain takes around 50-90 seconds, but I'll give it a shot when I've got some free time at work today.

edit - quiet day at work! Have cycled connection, am now sitting on pcl-bng01