cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

scottrc
Rising Star

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

I was just about to start a new thread describing exactly the same problem. I mainly notice it with watching live streams and download large files. In Steam, I can literally see the speed drop down to 100kb from 6mb for a few seconds and then goes back up, over and over.

Restarting the hub fixed it one night for a few hours and then it came back again.

It's also been happening to me for last 2 weeks. Glad I'm not alone.

andyeff
Dabbler

I'm on a 212.159 IP (static), so it doesn't look like it's particular to any ip range.

ben01492
Dabbler

This is my connection this evening: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/7ab54597676a561a6b510bbc1b053ecb-09-08-2016.html

I'm on an IP starting 51.7.

scottrc
Rising Star

My IP starts with 51.9

scottrc
Rising Star

I also just tested with a VPN extension on Chrome. Zero packet loss with the VPN, the moment I disable it, the loss starts back up again.

B33Dee
Dabbler

I thought I would post here since the previous thread from when +net woes originally started has been locked. This looks like the new go-to thread for the network issues. 

Shocking how dismissive +net is saying that the original problems "are no more". What a joke your company is. Yes you might not know what it is. Yes you might not *think* there are common denominators, but to dismiss a load of people saying they all have faults on their lines, is quite frankly laughable. Disgusting service.

All those still fighting the battle.... I migrated to BT on 29th July, having agreed early termination fee free as +net could not provide a reliable service. Guess what.... my issues literally vanished overnight. I am even getting faster download speeds than the product maximum, which makes it a double win.

I get sick to the back teeth of companies that try and fob customers off like plusnet are currently doing. I don't know how anyone has put up with it for a month now and not taken action against the attitude from plusnet. 

But to anyone thinking is moving ISP going to fix things, for me it did and I will never go back to plusnet after this fiasco. 

End rant. Happy BT customer.

And yes, the irony is not lost on me about BT.....

ahoyhoy
Dabbler

I can attest to having a static ip immediately fixing this issue. Was on a 51. IP before paying the £5 and straight away after rebooting router it was completely stable and working add it should do.

If the Thursday maintenance doesn't fix it, it might be worth trying. Plusnet should really recognise the problem and reimburse those who resort to this. One can dream!
tommygunyeah
Dabbler

@ahoyhoy trying to get a penny back from Plusnet for something like that is near impossible. Half of us are using VPN's to solve the issue which most people are paying for.

ade_r
Dabbler

During a web chat I asked "[CSA Removed]" if when purchasing a Static IP I could specify one outside of what I understood to be the problem range of 51.6, she replied the IPs are automatically generated and there would be no guarantee that I wouldn't have bought one in that range.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name removed as per Forum rules

ahoyhoy
Dabbler

@tommygunyeah
That's quite saddening. Is it just to get along until your minimum contract is done? Vote with your wallet if another isp is available.

I didn't realise the static ip could've put me back on the 51 range. Quite a gamble but luckily I'm off it now.
tommygunyeah
Dabbler

@ahoyhoy absolutely will be voting with my wallet, I have had endless issues with Plusnet. Hopefully this Thursdays maintenance will solve it.

athruntalan
Grafter

@tommygunyeah

I would disagree here. Discussing the problem in depth with Bobpullen has led to him refunding my Static IP charge not once, but twice (I cancelled the first one as the packet loss issues were starting to creep into that particular Static IP as well). OK, it's probably dependent on who you end up talking to, but it's not impossible.

Siddy
Grafter

Im dissapointed with Pn.

I have not recieved any emails stating that their would be a distruption with my services or that i may be affected.

The only email i got was about my line rental going up another £1 and that they were expanding their network in fact here is what it said "We’ve boosted our network We’ve made our network even more reliable so you can enjoy doing all the things you love online without interruption." So far that email has been wrong, its unreliable and disruptive to their users yet their has been nothing from plusnet about this disruption.

It has now been a week with a disruptive service and the only way i found out their was plusnets fault was by visiting the forums, for the past week i have been trying to figure out what was wrong with my internet and the game i play and after much debate with myself i decided to re-install my whole computer incase their was something wrong with the filesystem or something installed that should not of been. But no, it was plusnet being quiet about an issue they created and me backing up over 60gb of files was just a waste of my time (thanks plusnet).

Anyway moan over, does anyone know whats in the agreement in reagerds to distriptive service? Or do we have the privelidge of paying full price for this.

athruntalan
Grafter

To be honest it took them a while to admit there might be an issue, and quite a lot of persistence from people here.

In case you aren't aware Siddy, any price increase gives you an option to let them know within 30 days that you are intending to leave, no matter the state of your contract, penalty free, as per Ofcom rules. But sit tight, see if it's resolved by tomorrow.
Siddy
Grafter

Yeh i know how Pn work found out on day one when i called to find out where my installation engineer was, he was not even booked even though i had an email and letter stating he was.