cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High packet loss and other DNS issues

oscarthecat
Dabbler

Re: High packet loss and other DNS issues

Yeah, a little over a couple of weeks ago for me as well.  Probably around the time of the BT power outage.

Coincidentally, I had an Openreach engineer come to fix an unrelated problem less than two weeks ago which resulted in replacement of the cable outside and subsequent testing showed a perfect connection.  So I know that I don't have local issues.

If Plusnet are saying it's not load related then it's a faulty switch or balancing issue.  Either way, one would presume it should be easy for Plusnet to locate given how reproducible it is - takes around 23 seconds to show an anomaly.

I see the effect all the time during the day - typing over VPN shows a pause every few seconds.

UatuWatches

I have been experiencing the exact same issues.

• Constant buffing when using twitch.tv
  • 10% packet loss whilst gaming (Overwatch and LoL)
  • Periods of unresolved webpages. Changed to google DNS but the problem remains.

Whats odd is the issues are less frequent during the night after 23:00 and early morning before 9:00.

I have a fault raised 130110743. The drop in network speeds was resolved but the other issues remain. The problems began after my 38mbps connected was upgraded to 70mbps.

englishbob
Hooked

^^^ I have exactly the same issues as you ^^^

I thought I was going mad, but its been janky since the d/l speed moved to 70Mbps

tommygunyeah
Dabbler

They have just received my issue (130722238)

Seems that they will investigate the network issues. Will post results.

oscarthecat
Dabbler

My ticket is waiting for initial feedback.  Monday, probably.

athruntalan
Grafter

Been playing around and testing this today. I get nothing but 209.x.x.x and 5.x.x.x ip addresses, all with the associated problems people have reported

Out of morbid curiosity, I activated myself a static IP again, this time on the 80.229.26.x subnet.

Instantly all the issues in the last couple of weeks have vanished. Rock solid again. I would therefore suggest whatever issue is at play here, it's something on the 209 and 5 subnets. Are these the standard customer IPs?

To the others in this topic, lets gather data. What IP addresses are you on?
jwledwith
Dabbler

Huge packet loss nearly all day again - although mornings are much better than evenings.

I've also started using a VPN today and problems disappeared! With no VPN = huge amount of packet loss using various sites / services. 

For the question posted above, my Plusnet supplied IP starts with 146

* still no reply to my ticket either #130555909 (if anyone from support could tell me what is happening I'd appreciate it)

Benlightenment
Hooked

Still no reply to mine either (#130217883) and it's been open for over a week. Last reply was a week ago, last Sunday. Today has been terrible again with packet loss galore.

athruntalan
Grafter

What IP addresses are you guys on?
tommygunyeah
Dabbler

Yeah this weekend has been pretty bad for it in general. I'm certain it's all coming from one of my hops. Then I run PingPlotter which is a glorified tracert I always get 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk causing me issues. I'm certain this is where all this packet loss is coming from.

ahoyhoy
Dabbler

I'm also having the same issues, anywhere from 15-60% packet loss during peak times, gaming is impossible, websites hang to load and streaming is buffering all the time.

I had an open ticket with PN who did some testing during the weekday which of course came back fine, and the next step was to get an engineer in, which I'm reluctant to do as there's probably nothing they will see wrong during off peak, and will chuck a £50 call out charge at me...

My IP is in the 51.*.***.** range

UatuWatches

I am on a 51 ip address. The packet loss is a joke and the fact that none of the PN staff have acknowledged this thread and our clear issues is very poor indeed.

tommygunyeah
Dabbler

I am also on 51 band.

pantsman28
Grafter

chances are a similar issue many of us are experiencing but plusnet are not doing anything about it.

this is my monitor https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/ffffeeeeedddddddd-upppp-slllllloooooowwww-aaaattt-pppp...

as you can see its the same drop outs as other users but be warned plusnet take days to reply to any faults raised and don't seem to be proactive about fixing this problem which started around a month ago for many.

tommygunyeah
Dabbler

Oh yeah there is definitely a major infrastructure fault here, no way so many people getting the same issues with the same websites at the same times of day and it not being related.

As you said PlusNet are very lacklustre in their support. I try to avoid their customer service when at all possible after the utter mess it was getting fibre installed at my place.

It really sucks to be honest, I have not had many good experiences with PlusNet and this just further shoves me out of their customer base.